The Hunted race mode suggestion

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Carmelco

The Hunted race mode suggestion

Postby Carmelco » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 pm

The Hunted is a random race style where the racing league knows that the police are close to converging on the race and gives the racers a prerace warning. After the machines are placed on the starting line, the galactic police will show up on the horizon just as the race starts giving the player 1 full lap to get ready. On the second lap, the police will converge on whoever is in last place and try to paralyze or stop them. As the race continues, they slowly advance on the race leader regardless of if they have taken out everyone behind the leader. The galactic police do not want to kill them since they are being broadcasted, but rather catch them and make a show of force of the power of the police. This race type is not about winning first more over surviving the onslaught of the galactic police, and their spaceships/hover-ships and making sure your opponent doesn’t survive. After X number (at least 5) of full laps, the player must survive the final lap as their transport ship returns to retrieve them from the track in an open area big enough for a transport ship. Perhaps during career mode, any race that has over a certain amount of laps has a chance to be a Hunted race for the player to then change their approach to the race. If the player wishes, they can attack and destroy the police ships, but in doing so makes the police hostile towards that player and they will use more force to stop or even destroy that machine. If the player is caught during career mode, they will either have to pay a certain ransom to get out and continue with the career; or if they don’t have enough money to get out, then their career is over and they will have a negative balance. Although I don’t have any designs for the police space cruiser or the small craft that the police will use to chase the racers, I don’t really have much of a use for the cruisers other than maybe some large weapons like railguns and missiles, which they can fire at the racers to show power or force as they slowly approach the racers and possibly shadowing the race area as they sit near the upper atmosphere depending on the planet’s size. Whereas the small ships for the police will have hookshots to grab the racers and pull them up off the track, though most weapons should be able to get them off you; EMP, missiles, Firestorm, Ram Raider. Though the more aggressive the player is, the more force the police will use, which after attacking them, they will try to paralyze the machine with missiles and small EMP blasts. If the player continues to attack, they will resort to missiles and eventually the cruiser to incapacitate the machine and then take them away via their hookshot. While the Firestorm boost will not agro the police since they are not being attacked and it is only breaking the lines, the fastest way to agro them is through the various missiles, while the EMP blast will agro at about ½ of what missiles do. The (eventually) aimable Aegis shield will be able to block four hookshot attacks, while four shots are required to lift the light machines and at least six for the heavies. Flipping your machine 180° can have a chance to break some of the lines while achieving a full 360° roll in the air will fully break all physical lines on the machine. Some of the police will use experimental electromagnetic shots on the machines where the player will have to use an EMP to break the shot. To give the player a chance, if they are using a light machine, at most six machines will follow them, and if they block all four shots and the other two attach to their machine, the player will lose 25% of their speed and acceleration. But the other police machines that did not get attached have to take at least one full minute to reload and fire at the player again. Though I do not think that any of this should be possible on Norvos since the police rarely want to deal with the harsh environment of Norvos while the amount of agro required should be more on Orbital Prime since there are civilians and residential buildings in the vicinity on some tracks.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: The Hunted race mode suggestion

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Holy wall of text Batman

Well, we want to have galactic police intervention at certain (or random) times, but it's not guaranteed to happen (depends on resources)

So this mode will kind of already be happening, just not as an official mode

Thanks for the creativity :D
Game Director
GRIP

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 pm

The "Escape the Planet" thing people have been kicking around is pretty much this except on a point to point track that the other tracks from that planet make background cameos in.

Honestly anything where the police/militia is involved is bound to be amazing lol

Especially if the slowest/last place guy gets caught and has to pay all fees, fines, damages, etc. that the ENTIRE LEAGUE and EVERYONE PARTICIPATING has racked up throughout the duration of the league's time on that local planet XD
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Carmelco

Postby Carmelco » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:22 pm

It would be nice to have police intervention, but in order to have the resources available to do this, you could remove detail, textures, and destructible environments. But in doing so would ruin the worlds and their grandiose and so that only leaves the racers themselves. It is possible to play the game with only 6 machines racing and that would give some resources up that the AI was using to race and give it to the police in order to have them running around the track. I don't know if you all are interested in weeding out the field in order to just add the police intervention.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am

PC resources is not what I meant, I meant development resources, as in $$$ to create the police vehicle, effects, AI and interactions for them
Game Director
GRIP

shadyx49

Postby shadyx49 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I think we don't necessarily need a whole new police cars we can just use a modified version of the already existing cars painted in black and white and with cool emergency lights and a futuristic sounding siren. This would be a good start, I'm totally into this mode.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Hell no. That's lazy af and kills the hype.
I'd pay good money to help dev a STANDALONE police hover vehicle if we were down to it

shadyx49

Postby shadyx49 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Queadah wrote:Hell no. That's lazy af and kills the hype.
I'd pay good money to help dev a STANDALONE police hover vehicle if we were down to it

wouldn't you have all that over the standalone car?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 am

I'm saying it needs to be its own vehicle, specifically designed, and not a re-cooked existing car. No compromise!
The rest, lights and audio on top ofc.

Return to “Game Modes”