Hints, tips and preview

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
playabot

Hints, tips and preview

Postby playabot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 pm

(I have discussed this briefly in another post but I feel it deserves its own topic)

Hints and tips -

So after watching newbies play the game on YouTube I think that it is important to find a way to explain certain things to players so they have some exposure to the various ‘problems’ that they might encounter mid race or in the game i.e. not knowing what a weapon does, not knowing what game features are available/hidden, not understanding play mechanics like boost, jump, weapon alt fire or target switching.

Modern games cycle through hints and tips while a level is loading and I think adding a feature like this to Grip would benefit the player.

Preview -

Acrophobia has a section of track that opens up, a big platform. When racers hit this area they don’t know which way to go as a result barriers and walls have been put in place. I’ve seen some comments suggesting that force fields be added or whatever. I personally like this area as a point of difference in the same way that flood zone worked in RC1.

To get around the shock to new players, ‘where do I go? crap, now I’ve lost position!’ Preview this section of track with a preview or flyby before the race. A few sections of each track can be shown to the player in this way.

This will ad style, show off the artwork, and work to educate the player subtly (without having to fence everything in and look after them to much). Want to bring something to the players attention, do a quick flyby over it. The player then knows about it and shouldn't feel cheated.

Maybe make viewing compulsory the very first time the track is driven (in any mode) and then make it skipable.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Hints, tips and preview

Postby Queadah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 am

+1 for that camera work. There's a drone cam that was already in the pipes if memory serves

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:58 am

The only weapon really giving issues is Ram Raider from what I can tell, because the piss effect doesn't effectively communicate that cars are lifted and flipped (doesn't help that it's unreliable in doing that).
Jumping not being used much is understandable as it's not really accessible to newbies and I see nitro being used, except by Neilogical.
If you can link to specific moments in videos (the embedded YouTube tag on the forum can't work with timestamps, so just paste the link), that'd help.

Flyby +1. Mandatory -1.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Those affected by the ramraider maybe could have a linear blur effect originating it's direction from the push source.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 pm

I think the tutorial should be about using pickups, then we can have messages ingame for players if they aren't using abilities

For instance:

"You're not using your boost! Press _ to activate!"

"Use the launch ability to avoid obstacles and access other paths! Press _!"

Shouldn't be too hard to do
Game Director
GRIP

shadyx49

Postby shadyx49 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:35 am

a few ideas came by me, the first was a small video tutorial box being shown with a text viewing tricks and demonstrations of any subtle passage of a track, before or during the race, the other is a virtual green (or white to match hud) track line which shows you the right path with maybe some symbols that reference certain hazards or maneuvers you should perform like a jump turn or break, of course all these can be enabled/disabled through the menus and enabled by default for new players for unil reaching a certain level or playing for sometime.

Return to “Game Modes”