Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm

EDIT: Poll is closed, as we've now finalized the game modes

They are:

Race (Normal, Elimination, Battle) [Battle mode takes into account points for racing, destruction, shooting opponents, etc]
Arena (Deathmatch, TDM, CTF, Hot Potato)
Playground (various styles of levels, including Scramble mode inspired maps)
Survival (maybe - this would be a point to point, high intensity single player experience)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, there are three game modes we want to have in Grip:

Career - progress through races, unlocked new tracks, cars and upgrades, until you become race champion of the universe

Arcade - a single race through any of the unlocked tracks with any of your unlocked cars and upgrades. Race modifications will be available like time of day, weather and weapons/power-ups mods

Time Trial - with ghost car of your best time

(Multiplayer with split screen will be available for Arcade mode)

What other game mode would you most like to see in Grip?

Sure, we may be able to put more than one extra mode in, but this poll is to judge what you guys like the most.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 pm

"this is a no-lap "speed based" challenge that has randomizer pads placed on the track that change from ("boost"=increase in speed) to ("roadblock"=decrease in speed) randomly, with no weapons enabled to balance out fair gameplay. the goal of "Subsonic" is to be the first driver to go past speeds of "610 Mph" will reach subsonic speeds and avoid sabatoge from other players and be announced the winner"

As posted from tjgcrush on the steam discussion for rollcage group. He called it Subsonic mode. I would love to see that. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage/discussions/1/530645446315616474/
Link to the page.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Whiskey
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Whiskey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Something like the Scramble mode from RCSII would be great.

If its less work than designing a whole bunch of tracks why not use procedural generation. You could then have a 'Daily' track. Everyone can have a crack at it once, with a best times leader board for each daily generation played.

Good luck on making Grip the game you are envisioning!

SuperSomariDX

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:25 pm

I'd say bring Elimination back.

Your keep racing around the until the player in last is eliminated, and the last remaining vehicle is the winner.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Scramble would be great.
Elimination too, which should be very easy to implement.
Voted for ARENA, because the chaos of dropping a bunch of guys into a pit and having them battle it out is great fun.

Xindictive

Postby Xindictive » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 pm

I Voted Arena Mode Should See Next :)
PS: Scramble Mode Is Good Idea, Broscar

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Here's my idea: You have a limited ammount of health, and there's a sh*tload of drone cars after you. These drones attempt to attack you by ramming you or using weapons, and come from either behind you or in front of you. The objective is to survive by either dodging them or using a limited selection of weaponry, which is more scarce and slower spawning than in other modes.

The longer you survive and the more you destroy the drones, the more points you score. But watch out, because every wave the drones become more aggressive, and your ass will always end up in a bunch of scrap metal in the end.

Basically, it's the scrapped Zombie mode from 2048. :lol: Maybe we could call it something like Drone Attack?
sus

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:56 pm

I think I played more Scrambled mode than antyhing else so I would love more of that!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:44 pm

I agree with every suggestion here, and I just can't decide which one I would like the most.. Maybe elimination ?

I think elimination of Rollcage Stage 2 was bringing something not present in the other modes : the fear to be last on the lap. Usually, if you do a 15 laps race, it does not really matter if you're last on the 8th ; you can still catch up. But now, if you're eliminated if you're last on the 8th.. Things become a lot different. You start chasing the guy in front of you a lot more, and it adds much excitement.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:50 pm

I would like to see the cat and mouse mode implemented, like we did sometimes in the steam group

Also some form of tag maybe?
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:17 pm

I've given you 4 choices in the poll now. And I've added a few of your suggestions.
I'll probably add some more modes as ideas come to me, but right now I'm super busy.

The Survival mode I've got up there would have some elements of scramble mode, but also have tracks with obstacles that need to be blown up with a missile, or can only be accessed with the use of power-ups that you need to pick-up along the way (still trying to get the best race time).

I like the idea of tag or hot potato or something. That's pretty cool. I added it to the poll with a bit of detail.

yellowquiet wrote:"this is a no-lap "speed based" challenge that has randomizer pads placed on the track that change from ("boost"=increase in speed) to ("roadblock"=decrease in speed) randomly, with no weapons enabled to balance out fair gameplay. the goal of "Subsonic" is to be the first driver to go past speeds of "610 Mph" will reach subsonic speeds and avoid sabatoge from other players and be announced the winner"

Sounds like there's a ton of luck involved in this mode, or am I interpreting it wrong?
Game Director
GRIP

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:17 am

yellowquiet wrote:"this is a no-lap "speed based" challenge that has randomizer pads placed on the track that change from ("boost"=increase in speed) to ("roadblock"=decrease in speed) randomly, with no weapons enabled to balance out fair gameplay. the goal of "Subsonic" is to be the first driver to go past speeds of "610 Mph" will reach subsonic speeds and avoid sabatoge from other players and be announced the winner"

Chris_CE wrote:Sounds like there's a ton of luck involved in this mode, or am I interpreting it wrong?

The boost pads would have to be randomly generated along a wide path to be playable. As for at which rate they should be randomized, well it sounds a bit hard to do that, since players might be racing on them while they are randomly generated.

In my opinion that falls in the category of either random track generator, or random path generator along an existing track. Except that instead of having walls, you have counter-boost pads to slow you down ; and instead of having a road, you have boost pads all the way.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Subsonic and Football sound amazing.

Especially Subsonic. This could get wacky ;)
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:32 pm

even though we shouldnt beg for RC featuers, something like scramble would be awesome.
the mode was fun and you could train your driving skills and learn new techniques. i think it would really serve well as a tutorial and challange mode at the same time.

also i like the idea that yellow posted, but i'd say simply take Wipeout HDs Zone mode where your car constantly accelerates and you have to drive as clean as possible to increase your speed. crashing into walls damages your car and slows you down a bit.
depleting your cars energy results in a game over.

no NPCs or Pickups, just the track and you.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 pm

Subsonic sounds really uninteresting.
No weapons, so you can't interact with your opponents.
Boost pads that randomly either speed you up or slow you down, which has absolutely nothing to do with a player's driving skill, which means the player is less involved (/"needed"), which means player interest drops to very low levels.

I don't imagine Zone mode to work well in this sort of game either, considering the whole "drive on walls" thing.

Moo's zombie mode sounds fun. Burnout Paradise has a similar thing called "Marked Man" and I enjoy that a lot.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Broscar wrote:Subsonic sounds really uninteresting.
No weapons, so you can't interact with your opponents.
Boost pads that randomly either speed you up or slow you down, which has absolutely nothing to do with a player's driving skill, which means the player is less involved (/"needed"), which means player interest drops to very low levels.

I like the basic idea of Subsonic, the first player to reach max speed wins. But I agree that the idea of randomized boost-pads doesn't make much sense to me. At that point, it is way too luck based to be worth much of anyone's time.

And with no weapons you could still ram each other. Unless of course this was a ghost-car only type of race. But if that is the case why are you playing multiplayer anyway? You could just be racing a ghost in singleplayer.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 pm

OR it could be made like in Wipeout HD Fury zone battle. you`ll need to gather speedboost and when you use it you will go faster and make an obstacle for players behind you which will slow them down.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:55 pm

And what if the guy in front of you got lucky and received two boosts in a row whilst you got two slowdowns? Good luck ramming him.
The #1 frustration for a lot of gamers, is a game not being fair - the game f*cked them over and there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. Having randomised speed and slowdown pads is not fair.

You could take this unfair element out by generating the speed/slowdown pads at loading time and keeping them in that state throughout the entire race, but then you just end up playing a basically normal race without any weapons.

Nah, Subsonic is not a good gamemode.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:13 pm

I once saw a gamemode idea for Slipstream GX where you have to beat a lap time with a set top speed, and each lap your top speed would progressively increase and the lap times would become faster. Maybe it could work here too.

About the Subsonic mode... I think it's quite similar to Zone Battle. But Zone Battle only works in Wipeout-esque games, because it requires precise maneuvering, and the track was tight and full of twists and stuff. In Rollcage, and therefore GRIP, the physics are more simple, and something you'd expect from an arcade-styled racer. You can dodge obstacles and other things MUCH easier (wide tracks, wallriding...). Having that in consideration, Zone Battle is pretty much obsolete here.

If we add randomized boost/deboost patterns on the speed pads, it just ends up being plain unfair. It's not a good idea, honestly.
Last edited by Moo on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sus

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Arena was always a classic mode, which added completely different gameplay feel.

I think a lot of work should go into making really awesome looking Arena environments, and battle it out!

I know there will be people spending endless competitive hours on that mode! :D

Return to “Game Modes”