Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

ha yeah. 0Blue, I don't think you truly realize how much work that is, on optimization alone. Also, the locations on each planet aren't going to look completely similar. Just think of the diversity of Earth. We'd like to have different landscape and atmosphere for each track we do.

Cool idea though ;)
It's actually very similar to the Playground mode we'd like to put in.
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Chris_CE wrote:ha yeah. 0Blue, I don't think you truly realize how much work that is, on optimization alone. Also, the locations on each planet aren't going to look completely similar. Just think of the diversity of Earth. We'd like to have different landscape and atmosphere for each track we do.

Cool idea though ;)
It's actually very similar to the Precision mode we'd like to put in.

I know how much work that is. I'm giving an idea so that it won't be too late to think about. I would like to create such gamemode by myself. everything is possible after all. It's all about time though..

Need for speed the run had that type or racing through the usa, but yeah, loading screens where pain in the ass, but why not using what valve does in source, load one big track and split it up to make the track behind disappear and load new one in between tunnels or something. Maybe someday we will have such games :lol:
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm

0Blueaura wrote:(blah blah blah...) but yeah, loading screens where pain in the ass, but why not using what valve does in source, load one big track and split it up to make the track behind disappear and load new one in between tunnels or something. Maybe someday we will have such games :lol:

we already have these games, its called streaming and has been done since 5th generation and has got increased use during 7th.
its not magic, but the game engine must be able to handle it and the game has to be built around it.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 am

Yrch is right for example the crew already has this one big map of the USA to cruise through. (it takes about 45 min to get from the east to the west coast)
But these big maps are more a waste of resources. Smaller maps are more efficient and you can make more smaller maps for more diversity. Maybe later in development you could comeback to this idea. Or some map modder will do it :)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:50 am

Tiakh wrote:... Maybe later in development you could comeback to this idea. Or some map modder will do it :)...

Im designing levels in some games so if i ever had a chance to make an custom map of entire planet for grip that would be the happiest time of my life :D

Polar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Polar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:06 am

Chris_CE wrote:Time Trial - with ghost car of your best time

Is the Time Trial going to be a FLap (Fastest Lap) or does the Time Trial require to drive 3 full laps?

ValiantSerpent
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby ValiantSerpent » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:31 am

Endurance

Track is a loop and everyone starts with a set amount of fuel. Players race for as long/far as they can get until they run out of fuel

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:33 am

Polar wrote:Is the Time Trial going to be a FLap (Fastest Lap) or does the Time Trial require to drive 3 full laps?

Fastest lap, no doubt

ValiantSerpent wrote:Endurance
Track is a loop and everyone starts with a set amount of fuel. Players race for as long/far as they can get until they run out of fuel

Sort of like last man standing or elmination, yeah. I think just having the cars in last getting eliminated each lap is probably a good system
Game Director
GRIP

Hurric4ne
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Hurric4ne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:59 pm

IMHO "Football/Soccer" would be too much Copy from the (well) known game Rocket League, but something like "Arena/TDM" or "Elimination" would be nice.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:03 pm

rubble soccer
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38 am

Maybe something like a little maze type cave underground where the first player to get to the core (which is very deep) wins.

Or some gamemode to use drillers to find stuff/car lights to play hide and seek on pitch black night >3<

Gorgar66
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Gorgar66 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Subsonic sounds weird!!!!
Intel i5 2500k@4,00 Ghz, G-Skill-Sniper@1866 Mhz, EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX, BeQuiet Dark Power 10 550W.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Gorgar66 wrote:Subsonic sounds weird!!!!

thanks lol :D
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Maybe players as the stopping unit?

Wee woo wee woo

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:37 pm

So, something like this has always been on my mind, but I was hesitant in bringing it up since one of the best things about RC was the cutt-throat "every-man-for-himself" approach that races took. But after seeing a similar suggestion on the Steam forums and on page 2 of this thread (but it wouldn't be 2v2v2v2 as suggested) after scanning over it, I'm curious about what people's thoughts are.

I was wondering how a "team" system in the game would work out, later on in development. And by teams, I mean "clans", "guilds", "groups", whatever you preferred terminology is. That system in and of itself would, ideally, have depth in the sense that you use points your members earn from winning races to unlock cosmetics/team functionality... but that's out of the scope of this thread.

How about, simply, a team-based racing mode? For example, if there 10 cars total so it would be a 5v5. The HUD would display each racer's name in their respective team's color (and perhaps their cars would also have an appropriate paintjob, as well) making it dead-obvious in the heat of the race who is on whose team. Would add a bit of an interesting dynamic, I think.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 am

Yeah, we've thought of this one. It was on the Kickstarter page I believe

It would be great to have team races and deathmatch. Maybe 4 teams of 3 (as an example), with each team using a different car manufacturer, and have their own liveries/paint job

This would really add depth and accomplishment to the multiplayer games
Game Director
GRIP

aschitaka

Postby aschitaka » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Xirahii wrote:So, something like this has always been on my mind, but I was hesitant in bringing it up since one of the best things about RC was the cutt-throat "every-man-for-himself" approach that races took. But after seeing a similar suggestion on the Steam forums and on page 2 of this thread (but it wouldn't be 2v2v2v2 as suggested) after scanning over it, I'm curious about what people's thoughts are.

I just came here actually to say that a team-racing in pairs 2v2v2v2v2 would be awesome in my opinion. Was playing Grip with a friend with two controlers and we had the most fun covering each others backs. Seriously this would be so cool as a real game mode.

skinneejoe

Postby skinneejoe » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:31 pm

I would recommend almost any of the game modes from Insane 2. A couple favorites are:

- Capture the Flag: A flag spawns on the map. First driver that reaches it gets it and has to deliver it back to a central location. Other drivers can steal the flag by attacking the driver and knocking it off of them.

- Gate finder: A number of gates are scattered through out the map, you have to drive through as many as possible. It could work in 1 of two ways (maybe an option to switch methods) either you drive through a gate and then you own it forever, and the game finishes when all gates are cleared. OR gates can be driven through as many times as possible changing hands every time and the game finishes after 3min. In either case, player with the most gates wins.

- Helicopter Chase: All players must follow a helicopter and stay within it's flood lamp to gain points. Points increment slowly while in the light. After 3min the play with the most points wins.

AssKickerson

Postby AssKickerson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm a huge fan of this game so far and its the funnest racing game I've played in a long time. Though, I could never fully immerse myself in a world with 'pickups'. I was wondering if it might be possible to instead have a certain amount of equipped items that you could only use a number of times.

Like a mode where you have a certain capacity of items you can equip and use a limited number of times. And maybe add a cooldown timer before you can use an item again. I think it would add a really interesting element to the game.

skinneejoe wrote:I would recommend almost any of the game modes from Insane 2.

Insane 2 was the f*cking sh*t

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Insane 2 was indeed awesome. Good mode suggestions. Would need to differ from theirs though

@AssKickerson: Interesting idea for sure. We'd never ditch pickups in general, but this could work for a mode later on

aschitaka wrote:
Xirahii wrote:I just came here actually to say that a team-racing in pairs 2v2v2v2v2 would be awesome in my opinion. Was playing Grip with a friend with two controlers and we had the most fun covering each others backs. Seriously this would be so cool as a real game mode.

Yeah team modes will be really fun, and increase the chance of people playing with friends. They'll make it in, no worries ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Game Modes”