Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Whiplash

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Whiplash » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 am

Something like Police vs Thieves could be fun, I guess. I'm not sure how it would work, but I just wanted to see how RC police car(s) would look like. :) Damn, why I'm seeing Yuri in my mind now? :D

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:25 am

Hi!

I would really love a mode that acknowledges the game's main mechanics I.e. riding on walls and ceiling! )

I suggest - Floor is Lava!

At some point during a race, lava level starts to rise and all players have to ride on cave walls and ceiling.

And also - The Tube

You race in underground metro tunnels where supersonic trains go from one point to another. So as you have probably already guessed we have to dodge those trains riding on walls and ceiling. ))

BTW, it was all in the original rollcage level design. ))

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:37 am

SLOT wrote:I would really love a mode that acknowledges the game's main mechanics I.e. riding on walls and ceiling!

Absolutely brilliant. Listen to this man.
Love the two suggestions for modes you've given as well.

Xaotros
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Xaotros » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:22 pm

SLOT wrote:Hi!

I would really love a mode that acknowledges the game's main mechanics I.e. riding on walls and ceiling! )

Sounds like fun for me!
"We (Sony) never retire any franchise" - Shuhei Yoshida, the current President of SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment Inc)

Endoman123

Postby Endoman123 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:37 pm

I like soccer from RC2.

Oh wait, no I didn't.

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:47 am

Hi, I know I posted in the wrong place before, how about a scramble mode or perhaps a stage based mode a little like a super monkey ball type feel, timed courses with bronze silver and gold medals.

Maybe also a 2 player Co op speed session with slipstream type thing to sling shot super fast times, or even Co op multiplayer team racing, teammates online would rock, you know, like a constructors championship.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Flipside I'm not quite sure what you mean with the second paragraph, but regarding Scramble mode:

Scramble mode is so far detached from the core gameplay of rollcage, it would be odd to have something similar in the base game. Survival (in the poll) is as close to scramble as anything, but rather a long stretch of track that racers must navigate, avoiding obstacles and shooting open passageways to progress, trying to get the best time.
I think this is more in line with the gameplay of Grip, instead of slowly teetering on a thin stretch of track trying to make it to the end, in something reminiscent of a Trials game.
I'm not ruling out something like that, I'm just saying it's not really a priority.

It would make a nice stretch goal for the Kickstarter, though
Game Director
GRIP

Azurex
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Azurex » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am

Arena would absolutely scratch my Twisted Metal itch, so I'm all for it.

Arena-based car combat is always a blast!

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:49 am

Sorry my second paragraph made no sense, I'll try again.

With online racing leagues say it's 4 races per cup, rather than just having the option to race on your own against other online players maybe it would be cool to race in teams of two as well, like formula one, two in Ferrari, two in McLaren, two in Mercedes, so you score league points but also team points.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:08 am

Flipside666 wrote:Sorry my second paragraph made no sense, I'll try again.

With online racing leagues say it's 4 races per cup, rather than just having the option to race on your own against other online players maybe it would be cool to race in teams of two as well, like formula one, two in Ferrari, two in McLaren, two in Mercedes, so you score league points but also team points.

Well, that reminds of the Cats and Mouses by landvaarder.

In a 6 players race, 2 teams of three people consisting of :
  • A mouse. The mouse is slower than the other cars, and it cannot use any powerup. Only mouse's position counts : the mouse has to finish before the opposing mouse.
  • Two cats. The cats must do what it takes to either protect their mouse, or attack the enemy's mouse.

In Rollcage Redux, well it's a bit hard to play that because you easily lose track of who is on which team.
But I guess that with a proper game mode and a nice HUD that would be awesome to play :)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:17 am

What is about the Total Racing mode in RC2?
I really enjoyed the idea of being able to win a race without being the first in just in the last round.
This makes the whole race more strategic and less focused on the last round.
(Who likes losing a perfect first place race, where you get hit in the last round and end up losing it because of it?)
However i would priorize the points, you get from racing (best lap time, placement in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd lap), more than the points from combat, so you cant win a race by always beeing the last.

Will we see this mode again?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Tiakh wrote:What is about the Total Racing mode in RC2?
I really enjoyed the idea of being able to win a race without being the first in just in the last round.
This makes the whole race more strategic and less focused on the last round.
(Who likes losing a perfect first place race, where you get hit in the last round and end up losing it because of it?)
However i would priorize the points, you get from racing (best lap time, placement in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd lap), more than the points from combat, so you cant win a race by always beeing the last.

Will we see this mode again?

I didn't like this mode, because the strategy was then to just stay in the middle to shoot at people. When you were good enough, the proportion of points gained by actual racing was negligible compared to the number of points you gained by destroying stuff / exploding vehicles.

For me, it was more a kind of deathmatch oriented racing rather than actual racing. But clearly, in this mode, if you are first and get too far ahead, and if you don't have the best lap bonus, you have little chance to win the race even if you did 5 perfect laps being first.
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 pm

I didn't like this mode, because the strategy was then to just stay in the middle to shoot at people. When you were good enough, the proportion of points gained by actual racing was negligible compared to the number of points you gained by destroying stuff / exploding vehicles.

For me, it was more a kind of deathmatch oriented racing rather than actual racing. But clearly, in this mode, if you are first and get too far ahead, and if you don't have the best lap bonus, you have little chance to win the race even if you did 5 perfect laps being first.

Thats why i recommend to make the points you get from racing weight more than the one from combat.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:48 pm

OK! SO im playing Rocket League right now. I LUUUUUUUV THAT GAME. WE NEED SOCCER IN GRIP! LIKE IN STAGE 2!!
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Tiakh wrote:

Thats why i recommend to make the points you get from racing weight more than the one from combat.

My bad, didn't read that line ;)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:16 am

WROB3L wrote:OK! SO im playing Rocket League right now. I LUUUUUUUV THAT GAME. WE NEED SOCCER IN GRIP! LIKE IN STAGE 2!!

Lol I've been playing rocket league myself like a madman. Awesome game haha, makes me even more impatient for Grip!

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Rally Mode
I'd like to see some kind of rally mode where tracks aren't circles, but 1 lap long stages. Time would be summarized instead of points, with a nicely presented gaps between players' lap times. Rally mode would be played on stages with a lot of obstacles and without weapons used.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:12 pm

^ All of my yes for this one
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Pretty sure that Rally mode is the same as the Survival mode I described in the poll :P
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:40 am

Hazardous Elimination tracks - tracks with implemented environmental hazards. 1st car that cross the line and begin His last lap, the map becomes hostile overtime and if players doesn't cross finish line in time, they die, and their last position in the race is their position on leaderboard

I talked about it in Environmental topic section of this forum, and the Enviroments that could use this gamemode are:

Waterworld (drowning the level)
Space (blackhole passing through the track, meteor crashing on it)
Lavaworld (vulcano eruption)
Exotic planet (sandstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes and other types of danger, randomly choosen by the game)

The gamemode could potentially have a possibility to change the track roads, making it completely different. (longer track/more shortcuts)
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Game Modes”