Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Whiplash

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Whiplash » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 am

Chris_CE wrote:Pretty sure that Rally mode is the same as the Survival mode I described in the poll :P

Well, you described Survival mode as the one where players aren't passing trough any finish line. They are only driving until they die (cause surviving is considering dying). Maybe if you named it Rally, people would easier get idea what it actually is about. ;)

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:04 am

yellowquiet wrote:"this is a no-lap "speed based" challenge that has randomizer pads placed on the track that change from ("boost"=increase in speed) to ("roadblock"=decrease in speed) randomly, with no weapons enabled to balance out fair gameplay. the goal of "Subsonic" is to be the first driver to go past speeds of "610 Mph" will reach subsonic speeds and avoid sabatoge from other players and be announced the winner"

As posted from tjgcrush on the steam discussion for rollcage group. He called it Subsonic mode. I would love to see that. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage/discussions/1/530645446315616474/
Link to the page.

thanks for mentioning me about the game mode, happy to hear that others like my idea
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:17 am

I forgot to mention, We could actually Put Survival, Rally (1 lap long run) and My "Environmental Hazard Elimination" (tornadoes and such) game mode ideas as one.

What do You think?
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Row

Postby Row » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 am

Scramble mode... definitely as a stretch goal or later as a DLC... but do not smash it of the table please it was the best part of RCSII

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:42 am

Row wrote:Scramble mode... definitely as a stretch goal or later as a DLC... but do not smash it of the table please it was the best part of RCSII

Yes, I remember playing it, I loved it.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:09 am

I see no point of having both a 'Scramble Mode' and a 'Survival Mode', as they are too similar.

The idea would be to get from the start to finish within a time range to progress to the next stage. There would both be obstacles to dodge AND tricky paths you have to follow involving going on ceilings, walls and doing trick jumps.

The difference i would like to see in Grip, would be that instead of it being random floating roads, like in Rollcage Stage 2, it could be in any environment. The difference to the tracks would be they are much more trickier.

That said, i would rather see it as a potential stretch goal. I wouldn't put Scramble mode or Survival Mode that high on my list of important things i would like to see.
Last edited by Tazeram on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 am

Tazeram wrote:I see no point of having both a 'Scramble Mode' and a 'Survival Mode', as they are too similar.

Lolwut.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:44 am

Tazeram wrote:I see no point of having both a 'Scramble Mode' and a 'Survival Mode', as they are too similar.

Scramble is more of a Platformer rather then Survival.

I hate to admit that My gamemode could have 0 chances to become a real thing :(
Just because I feel there is not so many games like Motorstorm apocalypse, Split/Second or FUEL I shouldn't share My idea that doesn't even suit GRIP at all.

Still tho, I wish there will be a racing game where You actually "fight for your life" with Nature :lol:

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Broscar wrote:Lolwut.

Survival Mode was defined in the poll as "SURVIVAL - (point to point with obstacles, trying to get the furthest with the best time)".

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems to be that the objective is to dodge objects and get as far as you can.

What i'd suggest, is to just add that as an element to the Scramble-type mode in Grip.

The objective would be to get to another side under a certain time limit (like Scramble mode in Rollcage), and follow a series of tricky paths and challenges (like Scramble mode in Rollcage, but with less emphasis on falling off platforms into thin air, and more emphasis on "if i don't do this right, then i won't get to the finish line in time". That way this mode can be in any environment in the game, rather than some set of thin roads in mid-air).

The addition would be obstacles on the course can be part of the challenge, which you have to dodge. In that sense, the two modes are combined.

That was what i meant, but at the end of the day, i'm not too enthusiastic about these modes anyhow. If we have a limited timeframe / effort, i would rather see it go into 'Arena mode' Arenas and a larger array of tracks / environments.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:26 pm

I see Survival as essentially a mash-up of Scramble, rally point-to-point races and an obstacle course. Then throw in some death-defying jumps in there.
The environments would use the same assets as the race courses, but the actual track would be different (duh)

One thing we did NOT like about scramble is driving so slowly at points, and doing it on some weird magical floating tracks. That is completely against the grain of what we envision for Grip.

But who knows, maybe a similar mode could be DLC later on
Game Director
GRIP

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Well i'm happy to hear that your potential plans for this mode are precisely what i was envisioning and saying in the comments before about Survival / Scramble mode! :P

Santeri

Postby Santeri » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:35 am

In my opinion after playing Scramble mode on Stage II, I just feel like it's almost a necessity, even if released in a later expansion or the such. I found it very fun to compete for the best finishing time on those levels, and to answer to something a dev (?) said earlier, if you were really good at it, you didn't necessarily have to slow down that much to get through them. Mostly I liked Scramble myself because it made you drive on some insanely narrow platforms, really testing my skills on how well I can control the car.

Also on a different note, I hope the game will have speed classes to choose from, similiar to Mario Kart in a way, so we could have some faster races and such. Or just make them configurable settings when setting up a multiplayer/arcade race, being able to choose stuff like car speed 0.5 to 2x or something. Also configurable gravity settings and the such could work in a game like this too. These things don't seem like they'd be too hard to implement, and when just playing around with friends or the such, it adds a lot to the fun factor of the game to have settings you can just make completely ridiculous like that.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 am

Santeri wrote:In my opinion after playing Scramble mode on Stage II, I just feel like it's almost a necessity, even if released in a later expansion or the such. I found it very fun to compete for the best finishing time on those levels, and to answer to something a dev (?) said earlier, if you were really good at it, you didn't necessarily have to slow down that much to get through them. Mostly I liked Scramble myself because it made you drive on some insanely narrow platforms, really testing my skills on how well I can control the car.

Also on a different note, I hope the game will have speed classes to choose from, similiar to Mario Kart in a way, so we could have some faster races and such. Or just make them configurable settings when setting up a multiplayer/arcade race, being able to choose stuff like car speed 0.5 to 2x or something. Also configurable gravity settings and the such could work in a game like this too. These things don't seem like they'd be too hard to implement, and when just playing around with friends or the such, it adds a lot to the fun factor of the game to have settings you can just make completely ridiculous like that.

I also liked scramble mode for being so high up the sky, I like that scary feeling going down My back every time I look underneath, or through the glass floor.

I love to die in those games I have to admit :twisted:

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:44 pm

it is cool going on the skyway tracks that use Anti-Gravity metal they were my favorite maps
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:03 am

Santeri wrote:Also configurable gravity settings and the such could work in a game like this too. These things don't seem like they'd be too hard to implement

I'm pretty sure i remember Chris saying, during a conversation about the possibility of a gravity-pulling power-up, that this would be very difficult to work with the Unreal Engine, and so perhaps it's not worth the effort. It's also why Time Warp seems unlikely to be in the game either. Also very hard to implement with the Unreal Engine.

nakano

Postby nakano » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Arena with split screen and bot support would be my favorite. Last Car Rolling mode seems like it could be part of Career mode challenges.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:01 am

nakano wrote:Arena with split screen and bot support would be my favorite. Last Car Rolling mode seems like it could be part of Career mode challenges.

I hadn't really thought about it, but having Arena mode and such only available as Multiplayer, if your friend was round with you, was really limiting in Rollcage.

Making Arena mode and other modes available both Online against others and available against the AI in single player mode in Grip, would make the game significantly more fun, and have a larger choice when you're playing on your own.

I consider implementing this extremely important. AI single player and Online Arena mode will be amazing.

nakano

Postby nakano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:26 am

^Great to hear! Nor Blur or Rollcage support bots in their Arena mode, so it would be really fun to have a game that would support them. Bots make the game a lot more fun compared to just human 1 vs 1 local split screen matches.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Also, for those who joke about 'Rubble Soccer' being the worst Game Mode, which shouldn't be included in Grip... perhaps it just needs to be reimagined!

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOwgHFkeeU

Forget the rubble. Have a bouncy ball like this.

Think about it... a few select arenas which match the environment types... maybe a spaceship arena, maybe one which is in a cage in a desert, one in the city etc... all shaped like in the video, where you can drive up the walls and on the ceiling.

Perhaps one goal should be on one ceiling, and the other goal on the other, to emphasise the use of the walls and flipping around. This would make things a little trippy!

Furthermore, if this game mode would actually be teams instead of 1 vs 1, and available against AI and online, it would certainly make the Game Mode much more fun than Rollcage's 'Rubble Soccer' ever was!

I think pick-ups should also be in the Game Mode. Obviously things like the Leader Missile would not be included, as there is no Leader, but the use of Turbo, Machine Gun, Mines and Driller Missiles would be very welcome! In fact, Driller Missile would bend up the walls and around and around, which would make things very interesting / hectic! :P

Just my thoughts when i watched that video. It immediately made me think of Rollcage and how bad 'Rubble Soccer' was in comparison. The video inspired me to reimagine 'Rubble Soccer', in other words. :lol:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:52 pm

If GRIP has to give us so much details and gameplay in around 5 gamemodes, this is gonna be either hell of a bad game or devs has to be a valve level skilled. which means release date around 20 years

Return to “Game Modes”