Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Tazeram

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Yeah, i did think about how hard it would be to implement, but i don't think it would be too hard. Fun gameplay is the most important thing for the game, and for the fun to be long lasting, online experience is what makes a game last long.

There are people suggesting hard and unnecessary things to implement like Track Editor. You suggested crazy weather events, and even a Game Mode based on it, which would be really hard to code for too!

I'd much rather see time and effort go into a diverse range of race tracks and environments, yes, but Arena mode should be next on the list. I think if 'Grip Soccer' could be made to be really fun online, then i would see it as a reasonable stretch goal. At least, i put it far before things like Track Editor. We don't need that IMO.

I do think 'Grip Soccer', and more importantly 'Arena mode', would be something which makes the game a number of times more fun and longer lasting in the online community, and thus very important modes to think about implementing and putting forward above other possible 'stretch goals'.

Combat against your mates online? Yes please. Who wouldn't turn that down. Especially if there is tournaments or league tables in itself. It could make people addicted to the game more than track mode itself! :lol:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 pm

It makes it fun, but it's not the only thing that makes game last long. ONLINE overall, not only what you want, like arena and soccer. but normal gamemodes and custom maps aswell.

I know its hard to implement weather condition and hazards. It's my own dream that someday a game like that will be made.

I had to discover GRIP in the time when it all just begins, so I can share all my imagination and hope for something from it to happen. Wish I could be a level designer for the game as I was making maps on source for 5 years+.

But I have to Work on the Job I have right now. Maybe someday I will make My own game with My own Ideas in mind.
Last edited by 0Blueaura on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Tazeram wrote:I'd much rather see time and effort go into a diverse range of race tracks and environments, yes, but Arena mode should be next on the list. I think if 'Grip Soccer' could be made to be really fun online, then i would see it as a reasonable stretch goal. At least, i put it far before things like Track Editor. We don't need that IMO.

I do think 'Grip Soccer', and more importantly 'Arena mode', would be something which makes the game a number of times more fun and longer lasting in the online community, and thus very important modes to think about implementing and putting forward above other possible 'stretch goals'.

Combat against your mates online? Yes please. Who wouldn't turn that down. Especially if there is tournaments or league tables in itself. It could make people addicted to the game more than track mode itself! :lol:

I dont like the idea of having 'Grip Soccer' in the game. I mean since Rocket League is out there is no reason to implement a worse version of it in grip. I dont think the cars from grip are that good for football playing. Rocket League is specialized on football with cars and new people who dont know rc2 will just compare it to a worse version of rocket league.
You could implement a fun mode similar to a football mode, but i dont think it is very important. More important should be the main gamemode, the racing. And a track editor could make the racing more appealing over a longer time, because you can create new tracks or drive on the shared tracks from others. So there is a reason behind it.

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Soccer/football is a great idea! Rocket League is like the most popular game on PS4 right now. You could have similar arenas but with more opportunities for driving upside down, a few destructible items on the field , and weapons!

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Chris_CE wrote:One thing we did NOT like about scramble is driving so slowly at points, and doing it on some weird magical floating tracks. That is completely against the grain of what we envision for Grip.

But that's part of the magic in scramble. The tention of falling off a track when you have no idea how high up you are.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

SuperSomariDX

Postby SuperSomariDX » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:39 am

It took some clever brake play, and some logical thinking on how you can zip around that track fast enough, without falling off or screwing up. I liked it honestly.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Tiakh wrote: I mean since Rocket League is out there is no reason to implement a worse version of it in grip.

Considering how the Rollcage mechanic works, allowing you to drive on walls and ceilings and flip around, i would argue that Rollcage type cars are naturally a better fit for soccer than how the game 'Rocket League' works.

No doubt it is a good game, especially considering how well it is doing, but the Rollcage mechanics and weaponry simply makes it a far more exciting fit than Rocket League itself IMO.

Also, it wouldn't be copying... Rollcage had 'Rubble Soccer' over a decade before 'Rocket League', and we are taking inspiration from Rollcage, after all!

With the addition of typical pickup weaponry and boosters, it would make ''Rubble Soccer' far more exciting than 'Rocket League'. Think about the Driller Rockets flying around man! The Driller Rockets! :lol:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Santeri wrote:In my opinion after playing Scramble mode on Stage II, I just feel like it's almost a necessity, even if released in a later expansion or the such. I found it very fun to compete for the best finishing time on those levels, and to answer to something a dev (?) said earlier, if you were really good at it, you didn't necessarily have to slow down that much to get through them. Mostly I liked Scramble myself because it made you drive on some insanely narrow platforms, really testing my skills on how well I can control the car.

Also on a different note, I hope the game will have speed classes to choose from, similiar to Mario Kart in a way, so we could have some faster races and such. Or just make them configurable settings when setting up a multiplayer/arcade race, being able to choose stuff like car speed 0.5 to 2x or something. Also configurable gravity settings and the such could work in a game like this too. These things don't seem like they'd be too hard to implement, and when just playing around with friends or the such, it adds a lot to the fun factor of the game to have settings you can just make completely ridiculous like that.

I've changed "Survival" mode to "Precision" mode in our documents now, and yes, we plan to have all kinds of track types in there that really test your skill, including narrow cliffs, etc. I just don't like the idea of having to drive kinda slow. Really kills the feel of the game

As for race modifiers, YES! We plan to put in a bunch of them including what pickups are used and how, but there's could maaaybe be a gravity option - depends, that could really affect gameplay negatively.
And you're right, it does add a lot of fun and replay value and aren't terribly hard to implement. So expect a lot of options
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Regarding AI and Arena mode, etc: we want to have the ability to put AI bots in every game mode (that supports opponents), so you can play offline as much as you want.

In terms of Soccer type mode... I think Rocket League has that pretty much covered. Wouldn't make much sense for us to spend dev time doing that unless it was some DLC (possibly free) later on.
I do agree that the weapons and ceiling/wall driving would add a whole new dynamic to the game mode, though.
Trust me, we want to implement a ton of game modes, but we have to prioritize things.
You'll know what's going on over here when you see the Kickstarter's stretch goals

0Blueaura wrote:If GRIP has to give us so much details and gameplay in around 5 gamemodes, this is gonna be either hell of a bad game or devs has to be a valve level skilled. which means release date around 20 years

Planning a schedule and budget as well as prioritizing is important ;)
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Planning a schedule and budget as well as prioritizing is important ;)

I know You can do it, so no worries here :roll:
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Chris_CE wrote:In terms of Soccer type mode... I think Rocket League has that pretty much covered. Wouldn't make much sense for us to spend dev time doing that unless it was some DLC (possibly free) later on.
Trust me, we want to implement a ton of game modes, but we have to prioritize things.
You'll know what's going on over here when you see the Kickstarter's stretch goals

DLCs, tons of game modes incoming (possibly after the game release).. I still cannot imagine this is really happening :)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 am

Add Elimination and Scramble from RC2.
Add those first then other modes such as Subsonic!

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:DLCs, tons of game modes incoming (possibly after the game release).. I still cannot imagine this is really happening :)

I know right! Slap me, i must be dreaming! :lol:

That's the good thing about how modern games are treated in the digital realm. No longer do we have situations where games are considered finished, and that's that.

Tracks and features could be added to the game past release as DLC and thus the project expanded upon. This keeps things exciting for the online community, and also makes the game far bigger than what can be done within a reasonable deadline for the initial release.

This game... is going to be amazing! :shock:
Last edited by Tazeram on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jpg3D

Postby Jpg3D » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 am

I would really love a destruction gamemode. Just a place where you have to rush and destroy everything you see in a short period of time.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:24 am

Jpg3D wrote:I would really love a destruction gamemode. Just a place where you have to rush and destroy everything you see in a short period of time.

There was one in Rollcage Stage 2 ; I didn't find it that fun to be honest - but that might be because there wasn't much to destroy, and you ended up spending time finding which building you forgot to hit.
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Jpg3D wrote:I would really love a destruction gamemode. Just a place where you have to rush and destroy everything you see in a short period of time.

This could be pretty cool with UE4's power.

Could be tied into Arena mode, actually. Get points for destroying cars as well as the environment
Game Director
GRIP

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:10 am

Will there be an optional game mode for Total Racing? I really enjoyed this option in RCS2 as even if you were having a bad race and knocked back by opponents you had the opportunity to turn it around by blasting your opponents to gain points. That said it would have to be balanced in a way that you could earn more points by finishing a lap ahead of the opposition and less points for weapon hits to avoid people cheating by staying in the middle and continuously scoring hits.

One thing I found in RC1 was that it was very hard to catch up if you got screwed up at the start of the race and lost control of your car. Rarely was I able to catch up and I got quite frustrated when I had to keep replaying a league. :)

hawe-me

Postby hawe-me » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 am

Hi guys :) I would like to see some cup mode....

TOURNAMENT MODE/CUP - points system, you can create your own combination of tracks and type (race/elimination)
GRIP WISHLIST
:arrow: WEAPONS: Oil Slicker, Smoke Screen, Saucer Drone
:arrow: GAME MODES: Tournament/Cup Mode
:arrow: HUD SCREEN: Map, Racers Positions top 4
:arrow: VEHICLES: Characters-based or Teams (like Wipeout)

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:32 pm

hawe-me wrote:Hi guys :) I would like to see some cup mode....

TOURNAMENT MODE/CUP - points system, you can create your own combination of tracks and type (race/elimination)

Yes, and even more Yes if it's multiplayer compatible !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Return to “Game Modes”