Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: What game modes would you like to see in Grip?

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 am

hawe-me wrote:Hi guys :) I would like to see some cup mode....

TOURNAMENT MODE/CUP - points system, you can create your own combination of tracks and type (race/elimination)

I totally upvote this one, as this was the first to hit me when I read the arcade mode to only be one race.

Also there could be a number of pre made cups to compete, which could follow some theme, like all the tracks on one planet, or tracks that are speedy, offroady, lots of hills, etc etc.

But the ability to compose a custom cup of the users choice is ofcourse also just as desireable.

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:06 am

errata:
With "subsonic" i think you guys mean "supersonic" which means faster than the speed of sound?

subsonic means slower than the speed of sound (super means above, sub means beneath (like submarine, beneath the water), and sonic is sound).

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:08 pm

mrjimp wrote:errata:
With "subsonic" i think you guys mean "supersonic" which means faster than the speed of sound?

subsonic means slower than the speed of sound (super means above, sub means beneath (like submarine, beneath the water), and sonic is sound).

I am a subsonic human ! Oh wait, everyone is ? damn..
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:34 pm

mrjimp wrote:errata:

i was still coming up with names for this mode at the time and this was the best one that could be used so far lol
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Iamzzz

Postby Iamzzz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:35 am

I liked Scramble in the old Rollcage Stage 2.... Scramble would be great to have in Grip.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Career mode will have a variety of races, including tournaments, big and small, so we've got you covered there.

We've also got a similar mode to scramble planned called Precision mode. It'll be point to point, avoiding obstacles, hitting big jumps, opening up passageways, and navigating some really tricky track
Game Director
GRIP

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:27 am

I got an idea, a Beast mode.

What about a mode where one player is overpowered (Beast), like driving a train or 18 wheeler long vehicle. Other players try to destroy him, like Ants or something, but of course, it's crazy hard. The Beast takes up a lot of space, you have to jump over him, drive on the ceiling in the tunnels, very risky stuff.
Similar to mechanics in Split/Second, there was one mode where you were overtaking huge 18 wheelers, while they were dropping bombs on you. There could be even some competition between the other players, to get the highest score = to not get killed, to survive for longest time, to cause the most damage to the Beast, etc.
A little bit similar concept is in Evolve, 4 players going against one monster.
So, the Beast mode would motivate players to cooperate against the Beast, but they will be given points based on individual performance. However, if they destroy the Beast, they will get much more points, so cooperation would be rewarded as well.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:14 am

Don't talk about split/second, im so sad there wont be a second one..
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 am

0Blueaura wrote:Don't talk about split/second, im so sad there wont be a second one..

But split/second was already the second game. i mean split/second.
Ok, bad jokes away. Split/second was a great game, i completed it on 100% and it was worth it.

The beast mode would be intresting, but nothing with high priority. I dont see so much replay fun of the mode, which would it make worth. I would rather like to have some more maps or cars (skins) instead. But that goes for every new mode.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:01 am

well, I have both Blur and Split/Second and play it occassionaly with my pals when they come over. both are great fun, but I prefer Blur, thanks to 4-player split screen and simpler mechanics (don't have to explain everytime how the explosions work, how you earn the power, etc.). Blur 2 was already planned and some features were in the works, when Activision shut down Bizarre Creations. here is a leaked video from the sequel - sh*tty quality, but you can see more advanced weather, particle effects, and... driving on the walls!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUXR7q7y3k

I think the Beast mode would run okay on normal maps, just add the long vehicle (could be just few normal Grip cars tied together, as a train) and make it overpowered. dunno about the replay value, but maybe a cool mode for the community. I believe the physics would be the hardest to implement.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:17 am

We have to find Ambitious people again, like Chris and Rob that would like to create a "sequel" to blur or split/second.

Actually, why not both? :D

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:19 pm

0Blueaura wrote:We have to find Ambitious people again, like Chris and Rob that would like to create a "sequel" to blur or split/second.

I'd love to make a spiritual successor to a combination of both of them, called Blurry Seconds (optional subtitle: definitely not an alcoholism simulator) :D
but, and there is always a but, gimme the money for development!
just wondering, how much more chaotic that would be, combining both the weaponry from Blur and destructible environment from S/S? looks like Grip is going to have both, weapons and environment, so will be much fun! somebody will mod cars from Blur into the game and everyone will be satisfied :D

Mituki

Postby Mituki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Hot Potato on racing courses instead of arena would be cool

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:59 am

the-GURU-man wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:We have to find Ambitious people again, like Chris and Rob that would like to create a "sequel" to blur or split/second.

I'd love to make a spiritual successor to a combination of both of them, called Blurry Seconds (optional subtitle: definitely not an alcoholism simulator) :D
but, and there is always a but, gimme the money for development!
just wondering, how much more chaotic that would be, combining both the weaponry from Blur and destructible environment from S/S? looks like Grip is going to have both, weapons and environment, so will be much fun! somebody will mod cars from Blur into the game and everyone will be satisfied :D

That's right, drifting and overall racing style would give you destruction-bar from split second while destroying your opponents with powerups/environment could give you more points on leaderboards

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:09 am

Mituki wrote:Hot Potato on racing courses instead of arena would be cool

hell yeah. suddenly, one of the racers blows up!
much more fun idea - no one knows who is the hot potato, not even the one who is about to blow up :D

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:30 pm

I'd like to see a free roaming mode where we can test cars and tunings without the need to sacrifice races. Just a massive area of different topography and surface types to muck about on. Could also be fun to see if you can do crazy tricks so you could have points for air time and flips as well as time spent on ceilings etc.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I like Roq's idea.
A large practice arena with ramps, loopings, all different sorts of terrain (rocky, gravel, streets, sand, ice).
Wanna test a car's handling? There's the perfect spot.
You guys are gonna need that kind of map for development purposes anyway; might as well clean it up a little and shove it into the retail game ;p

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 pm

^ +1 ^
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:10 pm

the-GURU-man wrote:
Mituki wrote:Hot Potato on racing courses instead of arena would be cool

hell yeah. suddenly, one of the racers blows up!
much more fun idea - no one knows who is the hot potato, not even the one who is about to blow up :D

I love the idea of it being random and no one knowing who is going to explode.

Hot potato could definitely work well in Arena mode, but race mode may not be very impactful since cars stretch out along the course and are less likely to be close to each other.

Roq wrote:I'd like to see a free roaming mode where we can test cars and tunings without the need to sacrifice races. Just a massive area of different topography and surface types to muck about on. Could also be fun to see if you can do crazy tricks so you could have points for air time and flips as well as time spent on ceilings etc.

Broscar wrote:I like Roq's idea.
A large practice arena with ramps, loopings, all different sorts of terrain (rocky, gravel, streets, sand, ice).
Wanna test a car's handling? There's the perfect spot.
You guys are gonna need that kind of map for development purposes anyway; might as well clean it up a little and shove it into the retail game ;p

This is already in the works ;)
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:58 am

I would like to have a free-roam mode of ALL THE TRACKS FROM A SINGLE PLANET put together, for practice/exploration.

Like nfs the run "sprint"

this way we could have full planet view and practice terrain to set our cars for all the different types of tracks we're going to race on

EDIT: actually, maybe there could be a "survive" game mode out of it, like, 10 to 20 players on a track, driving from one point of planet to the other one (all the tracks from the planet in one) where each "finish" of the single track is a checkpoint which gives 2 power ups to use until next checkpoint is reached (which is another "finish line" of another "section of the planet" track), and each checkpoint gives lower limit of cars so that the rest behind is eliminated and at the last section max cars that can drive through is 5.

last 3 players alive are the winners, and the 1st one, given the most points and money.

Return to “Game Modes”