Duel race reversed (gamemode)

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Duel race reversed (gamemode)

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:09 am

I've made an idea for 1v1 race, but kinda different and I cannot find a right word to call it :D

Players starts the opposite direction from each other, one person needs to race the track reversed, the other one in normal direction

The first person who cross the finish after 1 lap or more, wins and make the other car explode :twisted:
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Duel race reversed (gamemode)

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:23 am

I don't think it would be interesting.. If it's a 4 laps race, it means you would meet the opponent only 4 times.

If you don't want it to be boring, you would have to make a track with several encounters. A bit like Aftershock in Rollcage.

The basic idea (a face to face encounter) could be implemented without a specific game mode actually - just have an Aftershock-like track in Grip, with a lot of potential crossing roads.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:I don't think it would be interesting.. If it's a 4 laps race, it means you would meet the opponent only 4 times.

Don't need to be 4 laps, 1 or 2 is enough ;) I meant it to be more of a time attack duel

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 am

0Blueaura wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:I don't think it would be interesting.. If it's a 4 laps race, it means you would meet the opponent only 4 times.

Don't need to be 4 laps, 1 or 2 is enough ;) I meant it to be more of a time attack duel

It would still need to have specific tracks.

Reverse might be more advantageous than normal, or vice-versa. So you need symmetrical tracks.

For example right now, the reverse version in Industrial is (I believe) slightly slower than the normal version.
This is an advantage for the one who drives in the normal direction.

Besides, while you're racing, what kind of feedback would you get of the position of your opponent ?
If you're both racing on Time Attack mode on the same direction, a bit like TM you can have a clue of where your opponent is.

But if you drive in opposite directions, how different would that be from this ?
You both race, you don't get to see each others (but when you meet), you have no idea how far each one is from the finish line, and then you compare the results.

I'm not really convinced (yet). Maybe someone else is interested though
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:11 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:You both race, you don't get to see each others (but when you meet), you have no idea how far each one is from the finish line, and then you compare the results.

Indeed, it would need tracks to be balanced for both racers. I think that making a finish line for one of the racers further away to balance the track time would work as a way to balance it.

About the racers, I think that having a moving dot from start to finish on your HUD would work as a way to tell you how far enemy is from finishing the lap.

Overall, as I said earlier it would have been time attack of some sort, but with enemy on the opposite side.

nakano

Postby nakano » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:22 pm

I think something like this could work in Arcade too; would be interesting to try how it feels in practice.

5x racers go normal route and 5x racers go reverse route at the beginning. When racers arrive the finish line, they switch routes normal->reverse, reverse->normal. The starting section has a portal. You drive in and come out of the other portal. Thus could be named Portal Racing, Dual Racing or something similar. This might also be balanced since each racer needs to drive both ways.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Indeed, this might work if there are multiple cars driving each way. Could make for some pretty crazy and hilarious moments
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Game Modes”