I don't personally know of any other games that have combined Rogue-Lite elements with Racing, but I think it would be perfect for Grip. It would add big time replay-ability. Maybe this is just a dream, but since Grip is still in early development I'm hoping this may be possible.
*Just to clarify, below I'm outlining my ideas for an additional game mode that combines Rogue-Lite elements with racing. Not just additional pickups or items for the current game.*
You start a "Rogue Race" and it generates a time line of 5 "days". The first two days are normal speed, the next two days are fast, and the last day is wild speed.
Each day presents you with a choice of three different random events. It could be a race, a last man standing, a battle event, a playground event, etc. Each event would have an entry fee and criteria for winning the event. The higher the entry fee the more payout you get for winning the event, but the event is also more difficult.
You start out with a certain amount of money. You use this money to enter events AND to improve your ride. Money could be spent increasing your rides stats (max speed, accel, hull strength, etc.) or purchasing up to two items to start with - EMPs, boosts, rockets, etc. Because you need enough money to enter the next event you can only spruce up your car so much. But if you win the event you get a big cash prize to use to spruce up your car next round. If you come in second place you get a smaller prize, third place an even smaller prize, and anything after that you get nothing. On more difficult events only first place get's a prize. Makes you think twice about what event you choose. For playground events maybe it would be based on finish times for collecting items. You start off with enough money so that if you fail miserably once, you can still probably enter a cheaper race the next day.
Destructible cars is turned on for all races, so spending money to increase hull strength becomes important. If you destruct during a race you lose a small amount of money.
At the end of a race if you didn't use all of your items you get a rebate and get some of your money back.
At any point if you don't have enough funds to enter one of the next events then your Rogue run is over.
For added interest you could create "Rogue Buffs" that could also be purchased to improve your car. When driving through a track you could see one or two Rogue Buffs placed like items. If you pick it up you have the opportunity to buy that buff next round to improve your vehicle. At max you could only have two Rogue Buffs. This would make every run different and increase replay value. Here's some ideas for what could be Rogue Buffs:
- Stabilizers - when in mid air your car is equipped with rocket stabilizers that make it easier to adjust your car and land correctly. Passive item, no item slots effected.
- Cloaking - can turn invisible briefly and avoid the effects of EMPs and rockets. Blue rockets still find you though. Recharges in about 10 seconds. Takes up an item slot.
- Flairs - can shoot off flairs that can save you from rockets, even a blue rocket, but it has to be timed just right to work. Recharges in about 30 seconds. Takes up an item slot.
- Health Regen - You can regenerate health once during a race. takes up an item slot.
- Big Laser - You can fire a big laser that pretty much decimates one car in front of you. It recharges very slowly and takes up an item slot, use wisely.
- Cow Catcher. Allows you to ram cars in front of you and damage them. Also you are much less effected by the collisions, basically pushing cars out of your way. Passive item no slots taken up.
- Perma Shields - You start with a shield. When it is used up by a rocket or something else hitting it, it automatically recharges in about 30 seconds. Passive no item slot.
- Health siphon - getting close enough to other cars siphons health from them. Passive no item slot.
- Lite and Grippy - Makes your car lighter and grippier, but sacrifices hull strength - don't hit the walls too much! Passive no item slot.
- Tractor beam - pull the car in front of you behind you as you slingshot forward. Takes up an item slot.
The final day event would be a three event marathon where you must place first overall to win. Or maybe make it really hard and say you have to place first in all three events.
Doing well on previous days allows you to earn a lot of cash and really beef up your car so you have a better chance of winning the final day.
You could use random event modifiers on some events to further add variety and interest:
- Only rockets allowed.
- Mirrored track.
- Reversed track.
Lastly, add random bonus goals on some events to gain extra cash:
- Destroy 3 other cars to get a bonus
- Place exactly 4th place to get a bonus
- Keep all lap times under *so many seconds* to get a bonus
I think it would be a first of it's kind Rogue Racer and it would add a ton of replay value to the game. Maybe even make the players unlock the Rogue mode by beating career mode?
The nice thing about Rogue elements, like the Rogue Buffs I describe, is that each run has the potential to be very different. Maybe you really like the Cow Catcher buff, but you didn't find it this run through so you have to work with the buffs you discover and learn new strategies. And combining buffs that you find allows you to have a completely different car. Like combining Lite & Grippy and Stabilizers would give you an ultra maneuverable car, but of course you have to find those buffs on the tracks first. Think of games like FTL or CryptArk, but applied to racing.
I hope you consider it, thanks for the awesome game!