Rogue Racing Mode

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
skinneejoe

Rogue Racing Mode

Postby skinneejoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm

I don't personally know of any other games that have combined Rogue-Lite elements with Racing, but I think it would be perfect for Grip. It would add big time replay-ability. Maybe this is just a dream, but since Grip is still in early development I'm hoping this may be possible.

*Just to clarify, below I'm outlining my ideas for an additional game mode that combines Rogue-Lite elements with racing. Not just additional pickups or items for the current game.*

You start a "Rogue Race" and it generates a time line of 5 "days". The first two days are normal speed, the next two days are fast, and the last day is wild speed.

Each day presents you with a choice of three different random events. It could be a race, a last man standing, a battle event, a playground event, etc. Each event would have an entry fee and criteria for winning the event. The higher the entry fee the more payout you get for winning the event, but the event is also more difficult.

You start out with a certain amount of money. You use this money to enter events AND to improve your ride. Money could be spent increasing your rides stats (max speed, accel, hull strength, etc.) or purchasing up to two items to start with - EMPs, boosts, rockets, etc. Because you need enough money to enter the next event you can only spruce up your car so much. But if you win the event you get a big cash prize to use to spruce up your car next round. If you come in second place you get a smaller prize, third place an even smaller prize, and anything after that you get nothing. On more difficult events only first place get's a prize. Makes you think twice about what event you choose. For playground events maybe it would be based on finish times for collecting items. You start off with enough money so that if you fail miserably once, you can still probably enter a cheaper race the next day.

Destructible cars is turned on for all races, so spending money to increase hull strength becomes important. If you destruct during a race you lose a small amount of money.

At the end of a race if you didn't use all of your items you get a rebate and get some of your money back.

At any point if you don't have enough funds to enter one of the next events then your Rogue run is over.

For added interest you could create "Rogue Buffs" that could also be purchased to improve your car. When driving through a track you could see one or two Rogue Buffs placed like items. If you pick it up you have the opportunity to buy that buff next round to improve your vehicle. At max you could only have two Rogue Buffs. This would make every run different and increase replay value. Here's some ideas for what could be Rogue Buffs:

- Stabilizers - when in mid air your car is equipped with rocket stabilizers that make it easier to adjust your car and land correctly. Passive item, no item slots effected.
- Cloaking - can turn invisible briefly and avoid the effects of EMPs and rockets. Blue rockets still find you though. Recharges in about 10 seconds. Takes up an item slot.
- Flairs - can shoot off flairs that can save you from rockets, even a blue rocket, but it has to be timed just right to work. Recharges in about 30 seconds. Takes up an item slot.
- Health Regen - You can regenerate health once during a race. takes up an item slot.
- Big Laser - You can fire a big laser that pretty much decimates one car in front of you. It recharges very slowly and takes up an item slot, use wisely.
- Cow Catcher. Allows you to ram cars in front of you and damage them. Also you are much less effected by the collisions, basically pushing cars out of your way. Passive item no slots taken up.
- Perma Shields - You start with a shield. When it is used up by a rocket or something else hitting it, it automatically recharges in about 30 seconds. Passive no item slot.
- Health siphon - getting close enough to other cars siphons health from them. Passive no item slot.
- Lite and Grippy - Makes your car lighter and grippier, but sacrifices hull strength - don't hit the walls too much! Passive no item slot.
- Tractor beam - pull the car in front of you behind you as you slingshot forward. Takes up an item slot.

The final day event would be a three event marathon where you must place first overall to win. Or maybe make it really hard and say you have to place first in all three events. :) Doing well on previous days allows you to earn a lot of cash and really beef up your car so you have a better chance of winning the final day.

You could use random event modifiers on some events to further add variety and interest:

- Only rockets allowed.
- Mirrored track.
- Reversed track.
- etc.

Lastly, add random bonus goals on some events to gain extra cash:

- Destroy 3 other cars to get a bonus
- Place exactly 4th place to get a bonus
- Keep all lap times under *so many seconds* to get a bonus
- etc.

I think it would be a first of it's kind Rogue Racer and it would add a ton of replay value to the game. Maybe even make the players unlock the Rogue mode by beating career mode?

The nice thing about Rogue elements, like the Rogue Buffs I describe, is that each run has the potential to be very different. Maybe you really like the Cow Catcher buff, but you didn't find it this run through so you have to work with the buffs you discover and learn new strategies. And combining buffs that you find allows you to have a completely different car. Like combining Lite & Grippy and Stabilizers would give you an ultra maneuverable car, but of course you have to find those buffs on the tracks first. Think of games like FTL or CryptArk, but applied to racing.
I hope you consider it, thanks for the awesome game!
Last edited by skinneejoe on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Rogue Racing Mode

Postby Queadah » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:20 pm

As Potty said on Steam, many ideas here would fit the career mode nicely.
Flares and health regen have been discussed too, I'd have to find the thread again.

You're assuming those "buffs" would be someting different than pickups ?

skinneejoe

Postby skinneejoe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 am

I guess I'm talk about more than just pickups, but a whole new game mode. It would be a racing mode that with Rogue-Lite features. Think of games like FTL or CryptArk. If you read through my post closely I outline exactly my idea of how this new game mode would work.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Queadah wrote:As Potty said on Steam

Oh yeah, forgot to re-dump that here. Thanks :p

Sounds a lot like Megarace 2 - you start with a car, run the different events by order of difficulty, and if your car is destroyed or if you lose the race, game over. Enter your name in the hall of fame, and go for another run.

(in practice, Megarace 2 was so hard that you would just reload the last race until you win it appropriately..)

I don't know what the devs have in plan for the Carreer mode. A mode like the one you describe would be nice I think - it could give a little bit of a solo challenge if done right.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 pm

I always had in mind the garage floating in space to make a soft transition with any map (you select your track by clicking somewhere on a chosen planet), though the menu we have is gorgeous too.

This would be particularly storytelling for the career/solo mode/campaign:
  • Make it so that the 1st track of every planet is your dropping sequence from space, entering the atmosphere
  • this way you have 3 space oriented tracks, 1 for Liddo 5, 1 for Orbital prime, 1 for Jahtra
  • With minimum camera playing and little voice over, you get a compelling narrative
  • Below is a quick toshop of such a thing (the angle is not quite right but you get it, Jahtra dropping)
It also serves as an excuse to:
  • showcase vertical map
  • rely heavily on air control and emphasize on the role of our side boosters (avoid debris/satellite? dodging missiles from the planet?)
  • collect dropped pickup even before the actual races start
  • show off the breaking sound barrier effect (I swear on me mum I don't see the burning effect in front of the car anymore :/)
  • show off a potential mach counter (before entering the atmosphere - which could be the end of this intruduction - you have insane speeds ofc)
and voila. GRIP just told a story (GRIP is so illegal cars are dropped from space #redline) :mrgreen:

edit: MDK had this kind of introduction before each level. It's old but it worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-3L4By7NRs#t=17s

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Orbital Prime arrival. Rank: unfriendly

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Queadah wrote:I always had in mind the garage floating in space to make a soft transition with any map (you select your track by clicking somewhere on a chosen planet), though the menu we have is gorgeous too.

This would be particularly storytelling for the career/solo mode/campaign:
  • Make it so that the 1st track of every planet is your dropping sequence from space, entering the atmosphere
  • this way you have 3 space oriented tracks, 1 for Liddo 5, 1 for Orbital prime, 1 for Jahtra
  • With minimum camera playing and little voice over, you get a compelling narrative
  • Below is a quick toshop of such a thing (the angle is not quite right but you get it, Jahtra dropping)

I would love something like this.
It could also be used to determine the players starting position. The better he dodges things the better is his starting position because he arrives at the starting line first

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:35 pm

@Queadah

Uh, nice art. I hope that Orbital Prime will look somehow like this.

About jumping from the sky with the car. Sounds a bit to arcady for my taste. But could be pretty cool. Would be ok with me if they had some wings that would detach on the ground like an open shuttle.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:02 pm

TheOnLY wrote:It could also be used to determine the players starting position. The better he dodges things the better is his starting position because he arrives at the starting line first

Absolutely. On hard mode, you wouldn't be able to access races if you exploded before landing on the planet, why not! :twisted:
Django wrote:I hope that Orbital Prime will look somehow like this.

I know it looks overwhelming, but there are always technics to cheat, like, rendering detailed 2D texture on a 3D globe, apply parallax with different cloud layers if need be. Applying hues and whatnot. Dunno to what extent UE4 can ease the process though [took the pic from a 3d modeler http://jfliesenborghs.deviantart.com/ar ... -550517423]
Django wrote:About jumping from the sky with the car. Sounds a bit to arcady for my taste.

Well yeah, exactly. It's arcady (in ref. to what we have ingame "Game over: insert coin to continue") 8-)
Django wrote:Would be ok with me if they had some wings that would detach on the ground like an open shuttle.

Thought only about side boosters (wings are unnecessary in space - when reaching the atmosphere though...) ... but true, some other 3d detachable jet pack model could justify yaw/roll/pitch movement, who knows

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:01 pm

I've played other racing games like GRID 2 in a roguelike manner. I would not repeat any races, so if I didn't get enough points to advance to the next championship, I would start over. It was a ton of fun and definitely added a lot of replayability to the game. To make GRIP (having GRIP and GRID in my steam library, both all caps, is a little confusing) a roguelike, I would use a championship format where if a fail to get enough points in 2 or 3 races, you fail to advance to the final. Or if you place badly in the final, you fail to advance to the next championship. You could also combine this with deathrace, so if you die during a race, you're done (though I would increase the health of the vehicles for this).

I just remembered that Need for Speed 2 (if you remember that game) sort of did this. To unlock new tracks or cars, you had to do a Knockout tournament, and if you ever placed last you were kicked out and had to restart the tournament. Because the number of cars in the race slowly dropped from 8 down to 2, it got harder and harder. The last race would end up being a one-on-one, and you always felt super accomplished just to reach it.

In conclusion, roguelike racing is really fun, adds to relpayability significantly, and I suspect it would be very easy to implement as an extra mode.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Definitely something to think about later on, for campaign mode or possibly DLC for SP and MP matches
Game Director
GRIP

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Ok, that sounds good. I'm not asking for much -- literally just a check box when you start the campaign that prevents you from repeating races would be plenty.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

Removed post to proper thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778&p=18028#p18028

playabot

Postby playabot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 pm

This sounds like a cool mode :)

Return to “Game Modes”