Career mode - Event based idea

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Sablazosword

Career mode - Event based idea

Postby Sablazosword » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi guys,

I've been playing GRIP for quite an amount of time now and I like it racing feeling more and more with each update.
But lately I was thinking more about how the possible career will be.
I usually like the standards championship modes (i.e. the usual progression from a series of tracks that unlock other series of tracks and so on), but indeed sometime they get a little to short.

So I was thinking of a career mode based on "events" that can vary from single races to actually small tourney (something similar to the career mode of Wipeout Pulse/HD). Being the game lore based on the illegal video show and ranking of rogue racer would make sense that the player pass through a lot of different event to climb the ranking.

At the moment, there are about 7/8 planned modes that can be used in my opinion in events, i.e. all racing mode and all Arena mode:
Classic Race, Ultimate Race, Elimination Race, Time trial, Deathmatch, Steal the Stash and Time Bomb (plus the Survival mode Chris was talking about).
I will keep Cartour out of the list as it's too stand alone feature (and I think some player will not want have to play it to proceed in the career)

For example, some events could be single race on one of the tracks, while another event could be an actual old stile league with 3 qualification Classic/Ultimate Race and a final Elimination Race (sound familiar?).

Or for example a planet based event with a tourney based only on tracks of that specific planet.

Let me know what do you think of this idea!
Mondo

"Don't ask questions you don't really want to know the answers to"

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Career mode - Event based idea

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Yeah this is pretty much how I see it being implemented. You need to be proficient at all aspects of the game (except Carkour) to move forward in the campaign. We'd love to have a decent story attached to it as well, but that depends on resources available.

Welcome to the forums!
Game Director
GRIP

Sablazosword

Postby Sablazosword » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Chris,

thanks for the welcome!

If the idea is to get the career also story based, the first set of events could be planet based.

You could start as a racer that just spent all his/her money on its first ride (chosen from all the available cars) and a one-way ticket to one of the planets (random chosen?).
Your first goal would be to win enough events to earn money to leave the planet and move to next one (of your choice this time).

Once you will get famous on more planets you will start to get some rewards.
One that would cool to see in game would be the possibility of becaming an "endorser" for one of the car manufacturer and therefore being able to access to all car made by that company (so you have the possibility to chose your ride each event).

Just to put some ideas on the forum.
Mondo

"Don't ask questions you don't really want to know the answers to"

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:07 pm

There are ideas going that way on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3595
you might want to check it out ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Ah I see what you mean. That's pretty cool. Although players may not want to be stuck on one planet for too long. If they fail the race a bunch of times and can't play any others in the campaign then it could be a deterrent
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Game Modes”