Where is the online multiplayer community???

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
BananaRama

Where is the online multiplayer community???

Postby BananaRama » Sun May 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Hello, I returned to this game about a week ago after some time away and I haven't been able to find a single online race in that time. Has the online community just disappeared and stopped playing the game or am I doing something wrong when searching for races???

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Where is the online multiplayer community???

Postby Broscar » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Unfortunately, that's a self-replicating effect.
People check in online, see there aren't a lot of people online, then go play singleplayer 'cause they don't feel like sitting in a lobby for x minutes.

You can use the GRIP Discord to check if any of the 200 (at the time of writing) people want to log in and play a few multiplayer races.
You don't need to register; you can just visit, say hi, then team up in the game :)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 am

I did a few rounds myself yesterday, just like Broscar said (checking Discord)

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am

A nice feature would be that you can start single player (vs bots) race, and it would end as soon as someone connects (or you could manually end the race immediately when you see someone connects), or they could connect on-the-fly (at least just for that round that started as singleplayer round, or this could be enabled in the settings or something). This would remove the effect of "having to sit in the lobby alone potentially 2-30 minutes before anyone joins and maybe if you alt-tab you don't even notice that someone has connected" etc.

Also I recommend adding friends as you play, that way your friends (who like to play GRIP) can see when you start playing and join you, or the other way around, or you can ask. (for instance, you can add me, I play 1-7 times a week usually roughly 18.00 - 21.00 GMT (6-9 PM) and usually there are people playing around that time.

In the Rollcage group people can create events when they want to play RC, why not expand this to GRIP too? Maybe that will become a thing a little later on (though hopefully there won't be a need for that:P) The game is still in development so hopefully MP will become more popular a little later on!

On a slightly different topic, good players can try to NOT to totally crush new players before they get properly in the game (maybe vote catchup on, dont fire at them constantly, be encouraging, give tips etc.), I bought the game for my friend and when I asked him "Tired of getting your ass handed to you?" when he quit, he just responed "Yes" and started to play another game xD) This is a thing a (for the time being) small community/playerbase must take consideration so that new players won't be scared away rightaway (just my opinion!)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Once a game browser is in, it will be easier to find a game, and with the kind of settings you like. Still, the community is quite small right now, but that's justified for an early access title with currently barebones multiplayer and a lack of overall content. We're working as quickly as we can to improve everything, but unfortunately with such a small team it takes a while

Tathendal wrote:A nice feature would be that you can start single player (vs bots) race, and it would end as soon as someone connects (or you could manually end the race immediately when you see someone connects), or they could connect on-the-fly (at least just for that round that started as singleplayer round, or this could be enabled in the settings or something). This would remove the effect of "having to sit in the lobby alone potentially 2-30 minutes before anyone joins and maybe if you alt-tab you don't even notice that someone has connected" etc.

Would be nice to have something indicating a player is in your lobby, indeed. I think an alert that tells you this even when the game is minimized or alt tabbed would work nicely. Though I have no idea how hard that is to do

Tathendal wrote:On a slightly different topic, good players can try to NOT to totally crush new players before they get properly in the game (maybe vote catchup on, dont fire at them constantly, be encouraging, give tips etc.), I bought the game for my friend and when I asked him "Tired of getting your ass handed to you?" when he quit, he just responed "Yes" and started to play another game xD) This is a thing a (for the time being) small community/playerbase must take consideration so that new players won't be scared away rightaway (just my opinion!)

Definitely a good call here, Tath. Allow newbies to ease in, it makes it more fun for them and in return there will be more people playing in general
Game Director
GRIP

BananaRama

Postby BananaRama » Sat May 27, 2017 11:54 am

Some very helpful comments here, thanks guys. If anyone wants to add me on steam my username is bananadude546...

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Couldn't find you on Steam :/
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Game Modes”