Total Campaign

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Total Campaign

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:07 pm

In stage 2, I liked the total Campaign because it awarded aggressive driving and didn't focus heavily on just going fast. Will such a feature will be added to Grip? (For those who don't know, total campaign awarded points in the championship rankings for hitting drivers with weapons and destroying environmental objects)
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Total Campaign

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 am

I loved this concept in Rollcage Stage 2 (even though it was a bit too easy to win with this :p Or maybe it was just too easy at all)

Some reminder of how it worked :
  • At every lap, you would gain some points depending on your position
    • First : 2000 points
    • Second : 1000 points
    • Third : 600 or 400 ? can't remember
    • Fourth : 200
    • Last : 100
  • In addition to this, at the end of the race, the one with the best lap would be awarded 5000 points
  • And then you could gain points with weapons as well by striking other people (a shot landed on a shield did not count)
    • Machine gun was worth 100 points every landed bullet
    • Bumping bubbles were worth 1000 points (without upgrade) or 2000 points (with upgrade)
    • Ice sheet was kind of the same i think
    • Upgraded exploding bubble was OP and could deal 15000+ points (assuming you had multiple cars around you and close to you)
      I think my maximum regarding exploding bubble might be 30000+ points.. I might be wrong though. But this one was the clearly the Meta :P
    • The paralyzing beam was worth 5000. Per hit car, of course.
    • The driller was 1000 per normal driller, 2000 per upgraded one. Per hit car as well.
    • Leader missile was worth 500 per landed shot
    • Same went for homing missiles. Perhaps even less.
  • In the end of the race, the one with the greatest amount of point wins (regardless of their position in the race)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Yes, potterman I would also love to see this come to GRIP.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:08 am

If you guys would like it, then I think it's fine.

But please don't make it mandatory for the campain...
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 am

landvaarder wrote:If you guys would like it, then I think it's fine.

Hell no for only Total Racing. I want my classic racing !

I think the OP is suggesting more to have it as a different campaign
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

Hell no for only Total Racing. I want my classic racing !

I think the OP is suggesting more to have it as a different campaign

I interpreted it in the same way, but am merely voicing my opinion/worries.
And if total racing will be implemented, make a persons position in the lap count for WAY more points, else everyone will hang in the middle or start death matching in the middle of the track, and it will never end the race.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:41 am

Im definitely seconding this!
I would love to see this as an extra mode. It makes the game have also some more casual touch. I mean its fun racing normally, but when friends come by, which havent played grip often it can be more frustrating for them. However, with the total mode its less skill dependent and more enjoyable for everyone.
Also the game mode could be fun in campaign. (maybe like in rc2 select between racing and total?)

landvaarder wrote:[...]
And if total racing will be implemented, make a persons position in the lap count for WAY more points, else everyone will hang in the middle or start death matching in the middle of the track, and it will never end the race.

Yeah there should be some mechanic that prevents players from farming points while staying in one place and firing weapons.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:04 am

Tiakh wrote:
landvaarder wrote:[...]

Yeah there should be some mechanic that prevents players from farming points while staying in one place and firing weapons.

Maybe have an upper limit on the amount of points you can gain with weapons ?

For example, you would not be able to gain more than 2000 points by firing weapons per lap.
So each lap would get you maximum:
  • 2000 point for being first
  • 2000 point for having reached the maximum cap on weapons
(of course this would require to have less points per weapon, or this limit will be very quickly reached)

Or maybe there could be two rankings going on. One about racing, and one about weapons.
In the end of the lap, the one who has landed the most of weapons get 2000, the second 1000, etc..
The problem of this last system is that you don't have the fun anymore to score points at every landed hit

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:33 am

Yeah, we were thinking about a mode with a points split, not just relying on race placing.

One method of avoiding issues with players just shooting each other and forgetting about the race, is awarding points for speed. So the faster your average speed is, the more points you get. Combine this with points for inflicting damage and you get the best of both worlds.

This way, if someone is way out in front, they may want to slow down to acquire some damage points (using gun/missiles), which keeps the pack closer together. That, or try and place mines really well
Game Director
GRIP

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 am

Hmm or implement a similar mechanic to the drift games, like in nfs from underground to pro street (the ones i played). You could only gain points from drifting while driving the race forward. driving back and forth also didnt give you points.
Maybe this can also be done in grip, if you stay to long in one place you dont gain points anymore. Ofc the time till this effect kicks in should not be too short so it doesnt happen while crashing.
So you re forced to drive forward to gain points again.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:34 pm

So far I think it should be an extra mode in grip along side a standard campaign. A point cap probably wont be needed as long as the weapon points are low enough and the item re spawn times are long enough. Average speed points sounds like a good solution. Maybe this could also be a separate game mode where you race along a track and the first person to reach a set amount of points first wins.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Chris_CE wrote:One method of avoiding issues with players just shooting each other and forgetting about the race, is awarding points for speed. So the faster your average speed is, the more points you get. Combine this with points for inflicting damage and you get the best of both worlds.

I actually love this idea. +1 :)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Not huge on having points for drifting, as the game is called grip (:D) but it could be pretty cool once the physics are in a more finalized place.

@Yellow: first person to reach an amount of points is interesting, rather than tallying at the end of a race
Game Director
GRIP

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 am

No thats not what i meant >.<", just the mechanic that you dont get points while staying in one place. Please no drifting points O.O

FLAYZER
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby FLAYZER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:28 am

Any further thoughts on this?, comments so far sound great, after playing latest patch i can't help but feel the game is becoming more tailored to the NEO-lithic Redux whores :D

Come on give me a live damage score in the HUD, even if at this stage it means nothing to the scoreboard, pleease :)

There is a certain satisfaction of causing total chaos on the track, getting rewarded for it, coming last , yet getting 1st place.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Shot op m8! Im gon bash you with a rock m8! xD but seriously this needs to comeback! :D

FLAYZER wrote:Any further thoughts on this?, comments so far sound great, after playing latest patch i can't help but feel the game is becoming more tailored to the NEO-lithic Redux whores :D

I dont really know what that`s supposed to mean but its not our fault that you suck at the game and you`re getting rekt every race.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

The game already distributes points for weapon usage, FLAYZER. There just isn't a user interface yet for displaying it.
Rest assured, it will be in GRIP.

Also, embrace fast.

FLAYZER
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby FLAYZER » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm

WROB3L wrote: I don't really know what that`s supposed to mean but its not our fault that you suck at the game and you`re getting rekt every race.

haha, so you didn't know what i meant and your response is to insult me or try to anyway?, how would you know i suck at the game? no multiplayer or scores as evidence so I fail to see how you come to that conclusion :D other than some form of Wrob logic.

Other than Arena mode how would i get "rekt" anyway :D

Oh man are you judging my Grip skills based on my Redux Saturday night performances, or lack of? :mrgreen:

FLAYZER
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby FLAYZER » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Broscar wrote:The game already distributes points for weapon usage, FLAYZER. There just isn't a user interface yet for displaying it.
Rest assured, it will be in GRIP.

Splendid stuff :)

Return to “Game Modes”