Dreadnought first impressions

Here you can post bug reports, comments, suggestions and other feedback regarding GRIP Early Access
RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Dreadnought first impressions

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:31 am

OMGOMGOMG NEW PATCH IS OUT :OOOOO
No, but seriously, I've drove around a little bit in Dreadnought and I must say this new car is so damn sexy :lol:
But I want to point something out:

1. This is a minor problem for me and for a lot of you it might think It's not a problem, but why isn't Dreadnought using light entity on the engines? Instead you guys used sprites and these have only one advantage over previously used light, and that is fading when you start to accelerate, and that's ALL! The light looks so much better! And if you're going to say that you're trying to optimize the game, then I'll ask you... Why is Dominator still using light? :^)

2. Balance of the car seems a little bit odd to me. I dunno if armor on the back helps since all of the bullets magically started to miss me :mrgreen: but other than that It's just a slower version of Dominator. And one thing I've noticed is that it keeps a lot of control when on ground or jump in a straight line or something but If you'll be rotating a bit while landing or something like that, then the car starts to behave like it's on ice, jumping around and doing 180. (Dominator still does something like that but It usually keeps like the middle between Dreadnought ground controlls and ice controlls :) )

Maybe that's just me and I dunno if things I've pointed out are sensible (except for 1. I want tha damn light entity on the back not some damn sprites! :mrgreen: ) but I still think this car is damn sexy. And I like what was done with speed since Drednought is developing similiar one to the Dominator but It's accelerating slower. (Turned out the catch-up assist was ON making Tank drive a bit faster than usual, (500 instead of ~450) so it's harded to get to Dominator, but not impossible) It's a nice way of balancing these 2 while keeping them different but I think it might get repetitive if more cars are introduced and they'll all base on the same system. Anyways, amazing update, gotta play the crap outta GRIP in next days :D

And as always +1 from me!

...oh and a screenie for those who haven't seen the new car yet :^)
Spoiler: show

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Re: Dreadnought first impressions

Postby Tiakh » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:58 am

from my experience the dreadnought has quite a higher top speed then the dominator. You dont feel like its much higher cause it takes quite some time to reach it, but its definitely there

JeffreyZ
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby JeffreyZ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:12 am

Yep the Dreadnought caps out at a higher speed then the dominator does. however it has a different handling and acceleration .
Grip, Lead level designer, IGAD student team.

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am

JeffreyZ wrote:Yep the Dreadnought caps out at a higher speed then the dominator does. however it has a different handling and acceleration .

Hmm, I think that means I'm just a sh*tty driver and can't keep high speed :mrgreen:

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I think that the Dreadnought isn't exactly well balanced too.

It has only one obvious advantage over the Dominator:
+higer sppeed cap

On the other hand it has 2 weaknesses compared to the Dominator:
-slower acceleration
-wider turning radius

The problem is that these two weaknesses add up so it is very hard to actually use its higher speed cap.
You simply cant reach the high speeds because you have to drive through the corners significantly slower because of the turning radius and when leaving the corner you- again- are slower than the Dominators, yet they accelerate faster so the will get even further ahead. And since the acceleration as well as exit speed is slower you wont be able to reach the speed cap since Dominators need to be driven almost perfectly to reach their cap.

I think simply for this reason the acceleration of the Dreadnought should be higher compared to the Dominator. It will be slower in corners, since it is a lot heavier but will be faster in a straight line.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense (to me) from an aerodynamical point. The Dreadnought is basically shaped like a huge block and would offer a lot more windage so it would slow the car down more (drag). To reach higher speeds it would need more power but then again if it had more power it would accelerate faster.

On the contrary the Dominator is shaped more aerodynamically so it would have less drag and thus should reach higher speeds or require less power to do so

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:57 pm

After the update high wore off, I'd have to say the dreadnought not accelerating fast enough at higher speeds makes it feel like a useless car in comparison of the dominator and random collisions in industrial are super annoying.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: What is the vehicle behavior that most bothers you (collisions, handling, etc)? Please show us in this thread!

Postby Roq » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 pm

yellowquiet wrote:After the update high wore off, I'd have to say the dreadnought not accelerating fast enough at higher speeds makes it feel like a useless car in comparison of the dominator and random collisions in industrial are super annoying.

Disagree with the Dreadnought being useless. I win consistently with it due to better handling at high speeds. If pure racing was the only consideration then there may some validity to this, but as a combat game, acceleration isn't the only factor. I for one couldn't go back to playing the Dominator at all now. Different cars styles are, after all, what we've been asking for to suit different players and play styles. Here's a vid. Times at the end speak for themselves: https://youtu.be/r2kVrnqKHMc

Anyway, here's a few clips of clipping issues from 1.0.8 Live. Settings are Hard/Wild. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrUBpEcTs0

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:25 am

Feel like I'm posting this everywhere to make my point, but the Dreadnought is fine. If you do better with the Dominator, then cool, that's the car for you. I clearly don't have to go slower through corners and I win almost every race I play with the tank. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2kVrnqKHMc

As for your fine print - getting in to the "reality" of these cars is somewhat redundant given what they can do, but yes, the Dreadnought is less aerodynamic, which is why it could take longer to accelerate, but it does compensate for it with 4 large engines as opposed to 2 smaller ones (which also add weight on their own).

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:07 am

Roq wrote:Feel like I'm posting this everywhere to make my point, but the Dreadnought is fine. If you do better with the Dominator, then cool, that's the car for you. I clearly don't have to go slower through corners and I win almost every race I play with the tank. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2kVrnqKHMc

As for your fine print - getting in to the "reality" of these cars is somewhat redundant given what they can do, but yes, the Dreadnought is less aerodynamic, which is why it could take longer to accelerate, but it does compensate for it with 4 large engines as opposed to 2 smaller ones (which also add weight on their own).

I must say overall, I'm doing better with dominator except for Transport. Dreadnought really shines there! Especially if you have luck for turbo pickups :D

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:08 am

yellowquiet wrote:After the update high wore off, I'd have to say the dreadnought not accelerating fast enough at higher speeds makes it feel like a useless car in comparison of the dominator and random collisions in industrial are super annoying.

Just like Lenny then. ;)

Super-crap acceleration, super-crap around corners. Unbeatable on a lot of tracks like, say, what Transport will end up like. ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 am

Moved posts to relevant topic.

Guys, the Dreadnaught JUST got introduced. Our first additional car to the original one. Of course it's going to feel super different and weird and possibly too slow in comparison, but that's mostly because you've been playing with a single car for months.

Imagine going from a Jetta to an SUV in an instant. :P

But yeah, it needs tweaking and some dedicated love, just like the Dominator (I don't like this name for that car) did through development so far. The Tank has been in the game internally for less than 2 weeks. The original car has been in there for a year

All that said, I am absorbing all the feedback. Just hard to respond to everything, as you guys are really passionate about it and there are a ton of posts. That's a good thing! But please remember that everything is WIP
Game Director
GRIP

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Moved posts to relevant topic.

Guys, the Dreadnaught JUST got introduced. Our first additional car to the original one. Of course it's going to feel super different and weird and possibly too slow in comparison, but that's mostly because you've been playing with a single car for months.

Imagine going from a Jetta to an SUV in an instant. :P

But yeah, it needs tweaking and some dedicated love, just like the Dominator (I don't like this name for that car) did through development so far. The Tank has been in the game internally for less than 2 weeks. The original car has been in there for a year

All that said, I am absorbing all the feedback. Just hard to respond to everything, as you guys are really passionate about it and there are a ton of posts. That's a good thing! But please remember that everything is WIP

We remember it's in WIP. That's why we're supporting you guys! :D I've been doing some modding and mapping mostly for source games and I understand how damn difficult is to make anything! Dreadnought is an awesome car but it needs some balancing to make it closer to Dominator in terms of usage. Keep up the good work, You're already giving us way more than most early access titles. (or even some completed games!)

Return to “GRIP Early Access Feedback”