City arena idea

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
p0rtalplay3r

City arena idea

Postby p0rtalplay3r » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm

After playing around in the playground for quite some time I found out that you can wall ride from one building to another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyYTfz6JBY

So this got me thinking about an arena that implemented that building jumping technique, which is basically a grid of buildings that cars can battle through.

Here is a top view:
A ramp can launch the car to the corresponding parallel buildings, and is also used to launch the car into the city.

The turns are used to turn the car into a different direction/section of the grid.

A loop is implemented so that the car doesn't ram into the middle of the longer buildings.

This design would still need a lot more work, but it's just an idea.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: City arena idea

Postby Queadah » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:51 am

@p0rtalplay3r: you really up-ed your game in terms of schematics ! Very neat.

+1 I like this idea VERY much personally. The 2 cons I see is for times when you lose your speed using the ramps: you'd lose grip and fall, reason why I see this concept more as a... track ?
Also, you'll navigate a lot to reach your opponent.

Suggestion : make no "ground" for this map to suggest very high buildings. Cars falling should pass layers of clouds eventually and catch a glimps at a giant city underneath BEFORE respawning

p0rtalplay3r

Postby p0rtalplay3r » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Queadah wrote:@p0rtalplay3r: you really up-ed your game in terms of schematics ! Very neat.

+1 I like this idea VERY much personally. The 2 cons I see is for times when you lose your speed using the ramps: you'd lose grip and fall, reason why I see this concept more as a... track ?
Also, you'll navigate a lot to reach your opponent.

Suggestion : make no "ground" for this map to suggest very high buildings. Cars falling should pass layers of clouds eventually and catch a glimps at a giant city underneath BEFORE respawning

The cars won't loose grip on a vertical surface if they are going at least 40 kph or faster. I guess the city would require a lot of navigation if there are very few players in the arena which could possibly be solved by putting in a lot more turns and fewer buildings, and lastly if there wasn't a ground where would the players start/respawn?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:22 am

p0rtalplay3r wrote:lastly if there wasn't a ground where would the players start/respawn?

On top of the buildings 8-).
That makes one building per player at max players, at least ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 pm

Very interesting, though I could see players frequently smacking into buildings, not being able to make the transition properly. But I like the idea of adding multiple levels of routes to the maps
Game Director
GRIP

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Reminds me of this

Skyscrapper to drive on. We need this. Dont care about how the track design would be. But this element is just to good to ignore. Would be nice in race and also in Arena.

Track could be called Neotokyo.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Definitely need some building wall rides on Orbital Prime.
Game Director
GRIP

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Definitely a city track in general Id love. You could race between and go through tunnels between/inside buildings maybe suspended or on street level. Dont need to be jumping over buildings for it still to be really fun.

Hopefully by that stage the destructibility is optimised so that you can have more destructible objects on track without a big FPS hit.

Would be awesome to have billboards that can be knocked down and even corners of buildings or pillar supports at a lobby/plaza of a building capable of being taken out. 8-)

That leads me to ask for a whole buildings being able to be brought down :twisted: but maybe Im going too far?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Django wrote:Reminds me of this

Skyscrapper to drive on. We need this. Dont care about how the track design would be. But this element is just to good to ignore. Would be nice in race and also in Arena.

Track could be called Neotokyo.

lulz +1 for the idea XDDD

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Tue May 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Very, very cool concept. Don't know how well this would work gameplay-wise, but I'm sure Chris can cook up a simple textureless testing map once multiplayer is online.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue May 03, 2016 6:10 pm

Hmmm...I feel like this would be great for hide and seek for some reason.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Tracks”