[Suggestion] Phase-out

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Prometheus

[Suggestion] Phase-out

Postby Prometheus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm

This could allow you to become incorporeal for say, 5 seconds, allowing you to pass through other racers (and avoid physical attacks, but not EMP).

The tradeoff would be that you couldn't push other racers or collect pickups.

To avoid players re-forming inside other racers you could either 'maintain' the phased-state until they are no longer in contact, or simply reset the phased player.

I imagine you would look like a glowing-blue net of the vehicle, a bit like the current rear-facing shield.

Good idea? Bad idea?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [Suggestion] Phase-out

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Might not be that easy to implement though (only the devs will tell) - but I really like it

Typical situation : boost + phase-out would ensure you would be able to catch everyone without the feer of bumping into them.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun May 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Find this one very interesting (along with the pros and cons).

I dare suggest a blue glowy holographic appearance too, just like what the ghost trial car should look like imo (basically exactly that phased-out car since we can't bump into it)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 am

I always bump into people, so...
Worth checking out. +1

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 pm

+1 for this.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue May 03, 2016 10:51 am

Sounds interesting. +1
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Tue May 03, 2016 4:53 pm

I like the idea, too. If it's not too difficult to implement or balance it, I'd certainly like to see it.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Wed May 04, 2016 6:56 am

+1 More diversity on the defensive department, yes please.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri May 13, 2016 10:00 am

+1 for me, too
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 am

buuut, what kind of magic/technology could make that possible? I dunno if i like it tbh, it sounds a little cheaty.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Fri May 13, 2016 5:07 pm

WROB3L wrote:buuut, what kind of magic/technology could make that possible? I dunno if i like it tbh, it sounds a little cheaty.

Its future science. They ain't got to explain ****.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon May 16, 2016 5:48 pm

WROB3L wrote:buuut, what kind of magic/technology could make that possible? I dunno if i like it tbh, it sounds a little cheaty.

Travel in another dimension ? There was this 4D space game called Adanaxis where the fourth dimension was implemented by transparency.

You could imagine that the car gets in another dimension where the track is the same, but since the other cars stayed in the original dimension you can go past them.

Or what yellowquiet said - it's an arcade combat racer, no need to be 100% realistic. Heck, we don't even know what kind of super-technology we will get in GRIP's future universe !
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue May 17, 2016 7:22 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

Travel in another dimension ? There was this 4D space game called Adanaxis where the fourth dimension was implemented by transparency.

You could imagine that the car gets in another dimension where the track is the same, but since the other cars stayed in the original dimension you can go past them.

Or what yellowquiet said - it's an arcade combat racer, no need to be 100% realistic. Heck, we don't even know what kind of super-technology we will get in GRIP's future universe !

You know that i like to overthink games xD for now technology that we got is pretty realistic, like there are no lazorz or holographic rockets that would actually explode xD So something like that is kinda illogical for me, and it would feel really cheaty
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am

WROB3L wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

You know that i like to overthink games xD for now technology that we got is pretty realistic, like there are no lazorz or holographic rockets that would actually explode xD So something like that is kinda illogical for me, and it would feel really cheaty

GRIP is not realistic right now. How do you explain the huge acceleration the cars get ? If someone is inside them, his head would be blown off right now, or something similar. Also, how do you explain the turbo exactly ? I doubt there is enough room in the car to store that much fuel.

Generally speaking, the pick-up system is kind of cheaty as well. You drive in a holographic green plus, and you magically get to use a weapon/bonus ? Lol wut ?

Finally, the coming EMP weapon is cheaty as hell - how do you explain that your car is not affected exactly, since waves are supposed to propagate in all directions ? Also, aren't these waves supposed to actually reflect on walls ? That's what any proper EMP wave would do.

Why would the Phase-Out weapon be any different then ? It's yet another weapon/mechanism that uses a supernatural technology. Who cares ? It's the future !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat May 21, 2016 1:27 pm

Nanomachines.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm

lol Broscar

I think now that we've been developing for a while now and seeing what works and what's fun, we're moving further away from realism and things making sense - it's all about the fun factor

That said, I'd still want some kind of background story pertaining to the tech for this
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun May 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Chris_CE wrote:lol Broscar

I think now that we've been developing for a while now and seeing what works and what's fun, we're moving further away from realism and things making sense - it's all about the fun factor

That said, I'd still want some kind of background story pertaining to the tech for this

If you decide to implement intangibility-on-respawn, you could say it's using whatever tech does that, just without teleporting you back to the middle of the track.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Mon May 30, 2016 10:08 am

Well here is something I found on internet about phasing (this is from Star Trek):

"A molecular phase inverter was a device capable of altering the normal structure of matter, enabling it to pass through normal matter and energy. Such "phased" matter could no longer physically interact with its environment, but could interact with other, similarly-phased matter."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Molecular_phase_inverter

and here is my idea on the subject:
An interdimensional teleport device starts the teleport the car in to an other dimension, but the process stops at closely halfway (the car exist 60% in it's original dimension and 40% in the other) and the car is in both dimension. The reason why the car is still respond normally, because it's still exist in it's original dimension and the planet surface is the last thing the car touched, the gravity is still in effect. (this stuff is :ugeek: )

If someone have a better idea or add to it, feel free to do so.
Science WINS again!!!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon May 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Chris_CE wrote:That said, I'd still want some kind of background story pertaining to the tech for this

Ok, my take Cybruiser57Péter. If I were to wrap that around plausible mumbo jumbo, in one word, I'd say "antimatter".

The phase-out pickup alters GRIP's vehicules fuel by turning their overpowered engines into particle accelerators. Collisions between particles and antiparticles lead to the annihilation of both, giving rise to variable proportions of intense photons, progressively turning cars into light until antimatter has no car-matter to destroy.

The anti-car handles the same since antiparticles have the same mass as particles of ordinary matter but only opposite charges (our phase-out). Passing a certain saturation threshold, Feynman–Stueckelberg's theory of antimatter-traveling-backward-in-time prevails; returning the car to its original state ;)

An icon for that could be the atom symbol:
or a logo version of a particle accelerator to underline the tech used:

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Queadah wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:That said, I'd still want some kind of background story pertaining to the tech for this

Ok, my take Cybruiser57Péter. If I were to wrap that around plausible mumbo jumbo, in one word, I'd say "antimatter".

The phase-out pickup alters GRIP's vehicules fuel by turning their overpowered engines into particle accelerators. Collisions between particles and antiparticles lead to the annihilation of both, giving rise to variable proportions of intense photons, progressively turning cars into light until antimatter has no car-matter to destroy.

The anti-car handles the same since antiparticles have the same mass as particles of ordinary matter but only opposite charges (our phase-out). Passing a certain saturation threshold, Feynman–Stueckelberg's theory of antimatter-traveling-backward-in-time prevails; returning the car to its original state ;)

An icon for that could be the atom symbol:
or a logo version of a particle accelerator to underline the tech used:

nice one :)
Science WINS again!!!

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”