GRIP Update 1.0.10.1 is on Steam!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

GRIP Update 1.0.10.1 is on Steam!

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:11 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRIP Early Access Release v.1.0.10.1 is now live!

The biggest changes in this patch revolve around physics interactions. The problems with bouncing violently and catching on the environment has been greatly reduced, and car vs car collision has been improved. That said, physics and collision are, as always, an ongoing work in progress, so the car vs environment collisions, weight of the car and overall driving will improve as we continue development.

NOTE: Unfortunately the Norvos track was not up to our standards for this patch, but we will have it in the game as soon as we can.

Here is the full changelist for patch 1.0.10.1:

Gameplay:
  • Better physics: Greatly reduced are the instances where the car will catch on geometry in tunnels, bounce on landing or fall through the world. Overall the driving is smoother and less frustrating (vehicle physics and handling are still a WIP)
  • AI improvements: AI now try their best to avoid other cars and mines. Plus they drive better on all maps (NOTE: Wild mode is experimental and we are not optimizing AI pathing for this mode)
  • Speedpads are now in the levels. This is their first implementation, and it's meant to be more of a test than anything. Give them a try!
  • Vehicle camera now subtly points down the direction of the track if player is off course (this is a WIP and just the beginning of camera improvements)

Pickups:
  • New Pickup! (EMP): A blast that will disable other car's engines and pickups temporarily. How effective it is depends on the car's position in the race and distance from the blast (this is the first implementation of the EMP and so it's not final. It's look and functionality will change over time)
  • Mines now plant if the user is relatively close to the ground. Also fixed them getting planted at strange angles
  • Shield now emits effect and sound when hit by machine gun
  • Raptor machine gun has an improved sound effect, plus knocks cars around a bit less, as it was overpowered

Levels:
  • Transport: Changed overall atmosphere/lighting, added some more assets and improved flow.
  • Alhatra Wastes: Smoothed some terrain, reworked one of the routes after the bridge, added various new effects to the environment.
  • Yuri Industrial: Added better collision for tunnel entrances, raised forcefield in some spots, removed destructible pillars for now, as they were causing issues

Visual:
  • Better explosions: They are now punchier and brighter
  • Improved Dreadnaught overall textures and greatly improved exhaust effects. Also improved exhaust for Dominator
  • Track lighting and effects have been improved on all three.
  • Depth of field effect added to end-of-race cinematic cameras

Optimization/fixes:
  • The HUD now creates less of a performance hit
  • Car collision with Destructibles and physics objects has greatly improved. No more getting a barrel caught under your tire
  • Various materials have been optimized
  • Vehicles are now set up for future customization options. This took quite a bit of time, but we are now ready for the future ;)
  • Improvements to missile navigation overall

Coming in the next few major patches:
  • New Norvos track
  • New vehicle from a new manufacturer
  • Completely redesigned menu with better setup and functionality
  • Basic vehicle customization
  • An additional weapon
  • Multiplayer!

If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum (be sure to check the bugs and crashes lists before posting):
forum.cagedelement.com

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!

ImageImageImageImage

Copyright © 2016 Caged Element, All rights reserved.
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: GRIP Update 1.0.10.1 is on Steam!

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Great Update,
I love the speedpads, AI got noticeably better and those effects on the shield ♥♥♥
The new camera needs a little time to get used to, but is a great improvement.

The visual upgrades to the tracks look awesome, but they eat my frames. :( cant go far beyond 30 now. I guess my 3 years old performance card isn't enough for WQHD anymore :mrgreen:.

Cant wait for multiplayer :D :D :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:51 pm

What specs are you running?

I'll take a look at all the particle effect LODs to make sure they scale down for lower settings
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Speed pads are great, new highest top speed for me, 1032 km/h :D

One thing about mines, it takes too long to destroy them with machine gun. Given that the gun has its wind-up time and then takes about 30-50% of it's ammo to destroy a single mine, it's essentially useless unless you instinctively know that there is a mine ahead or you can simply spot it from a long distance. The fact we don't know how long exactly is the range on the machine gun doesn't help as well. Maybe some additional crosshair (similar to the missile lock-on) that shows to which the machine gun will lock on.

And naturally, can't wait for the Norvos track and MP mode :D

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Awesome update, can't wait for the next one :D And those new graphic effects are damn beautiful <3 But I think it's time for an upgrade (My GTX 660 can't keep up :<) since I was able to play on max with 30fps and now I'm at 10-25fps ;-; On the other hand, medium and high are way better options now, since in previous versions only lowest settings gave me 60fps and now I'm able to get 60 on medium.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Oh my oh my. We're spoiled <3

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Ok, here's some extra feedback from playing on High engine speed for a while, as I normally am playing always on Wild. Naturally, not all the things are about that difference, since I tend to forget about some things.

- headlights glow is... abysmal. It looks so bad it hurts eyes, honestly. Reminds me of the light glow from games that came out in 2002.
- not sure if this is a placebo effect or not, but I've been clipping a lot more on High engine speed than on Wild. Sure, I am getting stuck on Wild as well, but since 1.0.10 it's been pretty much in over 95% of cases due to me actually hitting a wall because I wasn't precise enough with the steering (that shortcut in Yuri... on Wild speed it seems impossible to regularly hit it). I get about 2 clips per a lap on High, while if I get 2 clips per whole 8 laps race on Wild it's a lot. Collisions are worse as well o.O
- this one is funny if I think of the AI behaviour thread, but... well, no other way of putting it, the AI is a lot more challenging on Wild than on High. The race progress or position board or however you call that thingamajig, on High everything but 2nd place is at bottom. Mind you, 2nd place would be at bottom if I could set 9 laps. On Wild however, regardless of how many laps I set, 2nd place is always within a mistake or two behind me, followed in the same distance by 3rd, 4th and 5th place battling it out with each other. Rest of the cars are busy doing barrel rolls (literally). This is all while making about the same amount of mistakes (again, on High most come from clipping) per race.
- small tunnels that you guys are already probably sick of hearing complaints about... well, they are a lot smaller pain in the fart exhaust on Wild than on High, since on High you start losing speed like crazy in them which immediately results in a loss of control, while on Wild you have the power to keep the speed up which results in a lot more control there, effectively making those tunnels quite enjoyable.

So unless I'm getting crazy or just in a state of delusional placebo (which may be the case, I'm not denying it or being sarcastic about it) the experimental engine power, aka Wild, is actually performing better than the one that the physics and AI were being optimised for, as in High. I'm gonna compare the two tomorrow properly (as in spend a lot more time with High), but seeing as how High engine speed feels so darn slow that it makes me feel like it's a completely different game, along with being a bit too easy for my taste, I think I'll stick with Wild mode. Probably will be practising getting into that damn shortcut in Yuri :D

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Chris_CE wrote:What specs are you running?

I'll take a look at all the particle effect LODs to make sure they scale down for lower settings

posted a performance report here:
https://www.cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3437

Still having bad physics with low 20sh FPS (still a massive improvement!), but it gets almost perfect at 45 FPS (need lower resolutions for that)
Last edited by TheOnLY on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Played it for a bit. Got to say, looks really really good. Yuri Industrial now looks like its in the desert with the nice dust effects. I like how the blue light from the tires is now a proper light effect. The shield effects are really nice too. Feels more like a physical projection. The EMP has potential but I feel like its a little too OP. Nice to see it though. In terms of physics....I really cant say. Its been a while since I last played it and I'm pretty sure that every wipeout was my own fault. And I do like the speed pads. Was kinda expecting something more akin to rollcage but I think this is better.

In short, GRIP is coming along really well. Can't wait for the next update!
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:18 pm

You forgot to say that the ghost is fixed ;)
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Costa

Postby Costa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Yay! I finished the playtest mode without crashing into the terrain! thank you so much for this update! (tested for about 42 minutes)

By the way.....why now in speed mode (no item, wild) if you are on the last position, you car get an insane accelleration? that now make the car often unplayable and unrealistic (from regular speed of 550 at max, now you reach 900 - 1100 in a few seconds) :lol:

One last thing: i keep having this little graphic issue with the car model sometimes, i am not sure if this happens only to me but look:

The Sudden Silent
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby The Sudden Silent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:56 pm

Costa that happen me too, but no idea why its appear something 1/20 races

Kempfer
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Kempfer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:07 am

For the most part this has been a great build but iv run in to a lot of random frezzes that were not in the last build. One thing that would be great also would be if you made it so when a car is not on a surface that the cammra be orented to allways have the sky at the top of the screen

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:43 am

Ok, I've done some extra testing with Dreadnought and Dominator on both High and Wild engine speed. Here are some interesting results:

- Dominator on High engine speed has no issues whatsoever. Turbo on speed pads, do whatever you want, you won't get any clipping, eve... well, unless you drive at over 400km/h straight into a very thin wall, because you failed at entering a shortcut. But I wouldn't really expect anything else, I mean you can't get rid of all those things, and you would stop to 0 anyway after something like that. This is the mode to run if you don't want any issues.
- Dominator on Wild engine speed sometimes (it's rare) bounces off the landing. Literally. You just bounce away into the air the moment you land. The height of the bounce is random, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes way higher than you'll ever be in a race on that part of the track.
- Dreadnought on Wild engine speed is similar to Dominator, just that it clips sometimes on the walls, similar to 1.0.9.0 behaviour, just a lot less often. Effectively it's an improvement from 1.0.9.0 and that's basically it. Nothing bizarre happens on a regular occasion, even when using turbo over the speed pads
- Dreadnought on High engine speed however... that's a problematic child. Don't ask me why, but it just loves to get stuck in geometry in a similar fashion to this. What baffles me, is that it generally clips a lot more often on High engine than on the experimental Wild... In any case, this is the combination that everyone should avoid for now.

Silverviolet

Postby Silverviolet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Personally I find the sounds of bullet impacts on the shields and speed pads to be a rather loud compared to the engines and other noises.
New visuals look great, but I'm having to run 1280x768 to keep my frames smooth :P

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Ryu Makkuro wrote:One thing about mines, it takes too long to destroy them with machine gun.

Yeah, we'll make it explode with the first bullet I think. It's hard enough to see them coming up, they should blow up immediately

RuskiTalib3003 wrote:Awesome update, can't wait for the next one :D And those new graphic effects are damn beautiful <3 But I think it's time for an upgrade (My GTX 660 can't keep up :<) since I was able to play on max with 30fps and now I'm at 10-25fps ;-; On the other hand, medium and high are way better options now, since in previous versions only lowest settings gave me 60fps and now I'm able to get 60 on medium.

I've just gone through every particle effect in the game and optimized them. Next is creating level of detail meshes for each of the assets. The game should run better next patch

Ryu Makkuro wrote:- headlights glow is... abysmal. It looks so bad it hurts eyes, honestly. Reminds me of the light glow from games that came out in 2002.
- small tunnels that you guys are already probably sick of hearing complaints about... well, they are a lot smaller pain in the fart exhaust on Wild than on High, since on High you start losing speed like crazy in them which immediately results in a loss of control, while on Wild you have the power to keep the speed up which results in a lot more control there, effectively making those tunnels quite enjoyable.

So unless I'm getting crazy or just in a state of delusional placebo (which may be the case, I'm not denying it or being sarcastic about it) the experimental engine power, aka Wild, is actually performing better than the one that the physics and AI were being optimised for, as in High. I'm gonna compare the two tomorrow properly (as in spend a lot more time with High), but seeing as how High engine speed feels so darn slow that it makes me feel like it's a completely different game, along with being a bit too easy for my taste, I think I'll stick with Wild mode. Probably will be practising getting into that damn shortcut in Yuri :D

Ryu Makkuro wrote:- Dreadnought on High engine speed however... that's a problematic child. Don't ask me why, but it just loves to get stuck in geometry in a similar fashion to this. What baffles me, is that it generally clips a lot more often on High engine than on the experimental Wild... In any case, this is the combination that everyone should avoid for now.

-Headlights are as good as they're going to be until we code custom lens flares into the engine

-I'm thinking about getting rid of the small tunnels and replace them with something more manageable. They simply aren't fun, and are really annoying if you crash.

-It's pretty much impossible that the car collision would perform better on wild vs high. I know you've done extensive testing Ryu, but we're going to need some distinct video footage from you comparing them if we're to believe this is the case
Costa wrote:Yay! I finished the playtest mode without crashing into the terrain! thank you so much for this update! (tested for about 42 minutes)

By the way.....why now in speed mode (no item, wild) if you are on the last position, you car get an insane accelleration? that now make the car often unplayable and unrealistic (from regular speed of 550 at max, now you reach 900 - 1100 in a few seconds) :lol:

One last thing: i keep having this little graphic issue with the car model sometimes, i am not sure if this happens only to me but look

-Nice, glad to see the new collision is working in the playground as well ;)
-With catchup on? Yea, catchup needs a lot of work, as it's too strong if you're in last and too restricting if in first
-I've seen that car model issue as well, but it's totally find in the editor and 3dsMax, so I'm not sure what's happening. I'll look into it though

Kempfer wrote:For the most part this has been a great build but iv run in to a lot of random frezzes that were not in the last build. One thing that would be great also would be if you made it so when a car is not on a surface that the cammra be orented to allways have the sky at the top of the screen

Is there a an error message at all?

The camera already fixes itself when the car enters the air. No?

Silverviolet wrote:Personally I find the sounds of bullet impacts on the shields and speed pads to be a rather loud compared to the engines and other noises.
New visuals look great, but I'm having to run 1280x768 to keep my frames smooth :P

Ive already fixed the shield hit sound volume. And yea, the game will hopefully run better next patch, as I've done quite a bit of optimizing
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:19 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Ryu Makkuro wrote:- Dreadnought on High engine speed however... that's a problematic child. Don't ask me why, but it just loves to get stuck in geometry in a similar fashion to this. What baffles me, is that it generally clips a lot more often on High engine than on the experimental Wild... In any case, this is the combination that everyone should avoid for now.

-Headlights are as good as they're going to be until we code custom lens flares into the engine

-I'm thinking about getting rid of the small tunnels and replace them with something more manageable. They simply aren't fun, and are really annoying if you crash.

-It's pretty much impossible that the car collision would perform better on wild vs high. I know you've done extensive testing Ryu, but we're going to need some distinct video footage from you comparing them if we're to believe this is the case

I'd personally at this point prefer if there wouldn't be any lens flares. Those just look so bad, that a complete lack of them is a much more preferable option. Or at least an option to disable them would be nice.

Increasing the radius of the tunnel should help a bit, OR flattening the bottom of it along with making sure that bottom will be as wide as the cars.

Well, I'll record some footage then. There's a certain spot on Yuri where this effect is the easiest to get, so I'll be aiming for that. However not sure when I'll upload the footage, since currently I'm stuck with 1Mbps download and 378kbps upload -_-

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:Increasing the radius of the tunnel should help a bit, OR flattening the bottom of it along with making sure that bottom will be as wide as the cars.

+1 The bottom trick would avoid re-doing all the mesh between the tunnels and the rest of the map. Increase in radius otherwise ? (though this means a whole lot of repositioning is also going to happen - to not conflict with other existing roads)

Kempfer
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Kempfer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:46 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Ryu [quote="Kempfer wrote:For the most part this has been a great build but iv run in to a lot of random frezzes that were not in the last build. One thing that would be great also would be if you made it so when a car is not on a surface that the cammra be orented to allways have the sky at the top of the screen
Is there a an error message at all?

The camera already fixes itself when the car enters the air. No?

I have not seen any error message its just somthing I noticed. From what i can tell the camera only rotats after you get so close to the ground or once I have landed. I should probly mention that i play from the most zoomed in camera. If this was made so the camera alwayes had the sky at the top of the screen when not on a wall thin you could counter steer for your landing better.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Ok so you play with the 1st person/bumper camera. Yeah it will flip right before you hit the ground. You've got a point about counter-steer, I will mention it internally
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Announcements”