Let's extend the GRIP background!

Talk about anything you want regarding GRIP's gameplay mechanics or features (that can't be covered in other forums)
Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Let's extend the GRIP background!

Postby Similii » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:40 pm

So, I started videos on Youtube where I'm a GRIP race commentator on GRIP TV (Que and potty saw them caaaause, it's in french) and in those race, where nothing happen (you know where all the AI is 2000m behind you and you are sure to win) I'm trying to extend the lore by myself (two videos so not a lot has been done hehe) so this is why I'm here!
This is what I got for now:
    There is no countries left on Earth, only one gigantic country where there is no war territories left
    Everybody understand each other thanks to a translation chip that you've got since your birth
    Alien can participate to the races
    Human can have babies with Aliens (because, why not)
    Chris is named as the Great Chris who organize races and corrupt the galaxy police for letting the races happen on the four planets (don't worry, I'll have ideas for the rest of the team)
    There is big parties before and after the races

So now, I think we should imagine which are the aliens races (I think about Mass Effect's aliens races which are so cool), and which are the other planets of the Universe (no ideas left but it should come in my mind quick enough, I hope)

So what do you think about it guys?
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: Let's extend the GRIP background!

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Rob should be know as the Great creator then :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I like the initiative.

In my imagination, by the time of GRIP's races, human developement could be on the level seen in Ghost in the Shell, so yeah, human bio-engineering, cybernetics, body implants could exist. Humanity expanded in a way, that it developed into an insterstellar federation, where the different planets are connected by warp gates or wormhole technology. Earth, or as it called Terra here, is the capital planet of the federation. We discovered other sentient, alien races, among them we met species whom cultures basically wasn't very much different from ours, so exchanges could began, culturally, technologically, and commercially. And we have aliens, we are at war with, along with separatist human colonies.

One alien race's developement, for example could be like of those could be seen in the movie, District 9. They can go rogue like humans, and others might as well, so the black market is prospering. Races, gambling, swindling, whatever goes.

That much came into my mind atm. Would like to read other's ideas as well :]

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:25 pm

@VooDooQky, basically you just described Star Citizen :P

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

Well, I didn't know about that title, I swear! :D

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 pm

@FrostyPL

To be fair i think the Grip world could be easily be part of the Star Citizen World. Well atleast lorewise.

In Star Citizen is also a Megacity Planet - Area 18 thats pretty much a blueprint for Orbital Prime. Ignoring the fact that the world of Star Citizen seems a bit to clean in my eyes.

Well since they do have also cars in that world its not impossible to bring Grip Cars into that world although the high speed might brake their game. Pretty unrealistic to have some Grip cars there but one can dream.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:Rob should be know as the Great creator then :)

To be fair, I don't think either of us feel comfortable with that moniker :p
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 am

+1 for the idea. Not something to be heavily relied upon, but very light touches of manufacturers/races/factions' names... let's say some roleplay in general, because part of the gaming population is into that sort of things.

One example would be, put a small 3d alien racer near the car in the garage and make one race per manufacturer. There's already an asset ingame (!!):

Last edited by Queadah on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
HikikomoriGamer wrote:Rob should be know as the Great creator then :)

To be fair, I don't think either of us feel comfortable with that moniker :p

I still think that name some characters after you guys is cool :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Tought up a short, very sketchy, and conventional background story for GRIP but I wanted to weave in Rollcage somehow a bit too, and at least, "it's something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " .Sorry in advance for the grammatical errors, and logical fallacies, but feel free to check it out! If you have further ideas, or need of editing, just tell it. Names, factions, time intervals, everything is up to debate, and Rollcage, as it is, can be referred as an "oldtimer race show" or anything really.

At the Rollcage events, common interplanetary travels and planetary terraforming was a new technological achievement for humanity, but this brought trouble. A lot of big city on Terra, mostly the poverty stricken ones, rapidly became vacant or severely underpopulated due to heavy migration to worker colonies on other planets. Miner colonies later declared independence, resulting in armed conflicts. At the time, economic problems and crime rates skyrocketed around the vacant cities, so Rollcage events could be held. Terra's government, at first, overlooked the fact that armed, all-terrain flippable combat cars, going nearly at mach speed, ravaging their surroundings and each other at some places for the fun of it, since it had it's hands full with the ongoing conflicts with the colonists. Later on, it utilized these events as an entertainment source, to have the people avert their eyes from the globally rising problems, and ease their stress.

The human technological advancement eventually lured in alien visitors. Main diplomatic negotiations with the new species failed on either side, because the humans were greedy, and wanted the newly discovered race on their side in their trifles. Terra's government even going as far as to threaten them. Being fed up on this, the aliens turned on the human race in general, and all hell broke loose. An interplanetary all-out war began, which took ~100yrs and a heavy toll on their participants, but resulted in a temporary truce between the colonies, and Terra. The majority of human civilian population were pressed into enlistment and Rollcage events was a forgotten thing of the past. The combat cars' fate were either unknown, or being left on various places to rot. As time went on, the opposing forces turned out to be somewhat equal, causing the war to come at a standstill, eventually evolving into a very sensitive truce between the alien race and humanity. As the human population slowly began rising again, few of the long forgotten combat cars, along with the idea of combat racing were slowly rediscovered, and advanced further, resulting in the nowadays most famous GRIP races. But this time, pursued by the government/military, as the races existence was a severe threat to the hard-gained truce, since it's events could be considered as offensive behaviour by the aliens.

In addition to Liddo5: The lush, ever expanding jungle present on the planet is a result of an early, failed terraforming experiment, including mixing alien genes into terran vegetation. Liddo5 was intended to be a farm-world, but now, as the mutated vegetation is agressively taking over the planet, only a few operating research plant was left, having them as a site for further plantlife experiments, and a place for retreat.

Return to “Game Features”