Liddo5 Islands track feedback thread

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Liddo5 Islands track feedback thread

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Reverse mode is planned, yep.

The multi story building isn't final, I'll experiment with some stuff.

Lots of work to do on this map, we'll have a new version not this patch but the next one
Game Director
GRIP

XT3

Postby XT3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 pm

You know I've been thinking. What if at the end of the track, there is a short cut like in Yuri Industrial. From where you are driving on the underside of the bridge. So perhaps there could be a slot just big enough for your car to stay on there. Of course we could have no pickup while in the glass tunnel. A way to even it out.

IlsndsNewPath.jpg
IlsndsNewPath.jpg (293.52 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

2017-01-27-(4).jpg
2017-01-27-(4).jpg (274.64 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

2017-01-27-(1).jpg
2017-01-27-(1).jpg (305.05 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 pm

I had the exact same idea in earlier iterations of the map.
At least if the above part of the bridge had an exit into that building:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 am

As we have both a ceiling bridge and a bridge that connects to the starting line, I would go and make it to be an underwater tunnel and extend the upper drivable ceiling way further so that both the underwater tunnel and the ceiling ends together near the starting line. And if you drop down from the ceiling into the water, reset the car in the tunnel:

And when I say tunnel, I mean a grid like tunnel you have in Rollcage! so you can see through and watch underwater life :P (or at least some flora and corals)

also, dev room into the left bridge (the one thats blocked and looks suspicious)? water splashes must be bigger (starts faster), they beg to splash a lot, and splashing the car in the water is arousing <3 And I really mean it, same with dust particles, so when we drive we can see the dust and water coming from underneath the tires (not just leaving a trail of smoke, I beg to SEE the smoke when I drive :).
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

XT3

Postby XT3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 am

0Blueaura wrote:As we have both a ceiling bridge and a bridge that connects to the starting line, I would go and make it to be an underwater tunnel and extend the upper drivable ceiling way further so that both the underwater tunnel and the ceiling ends together near the starting line. And if you drop down from the ceiling into the water, reset the car in the tunnel:

And when I say tunnel, I mean a grid like tunnel you have in Rollcage! so you can see through and watch underwater life :P (or at least some flora and corals)

also, dev room into the left bridge (the one thats blocked and looks suspicious)? water splashes must be bigger (starts faster), they beg to splash a lot, and splashing the car in the water is arousing <3 And I really mean it, same with dust particles, so when we drive we can see the dust and water coming from underneath the tires (not just leaving a trail of smoke, I beg to SEE the smoke when I drive :).

Now that is something that I think would be great for a different track on Liddo5. Perhaps an entire track underwater in tunnels?

Clean&Clear

Postby Clean&Clear » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 am

Chris_CE wrote:Here's some images I made yesterday.

#1: pretty sel-explanatory

#2: The glass tunnel (placeholder asset btw) simply wasn't working very well. I'm thinking we ditch the tunnel altogether and have the cars driving inside a building complex together, having the choice of floor, wall or ceiling, or smashing out the left side through glass

#3: section where I say flatten could just be a lower jump, or split into two paths, one higher and one lower

#4: Huge rework of this area. Rip out the terrain and rocks in favour of a building complex that has two routes going below and one going above... or two, depending on if the far right lower route can go through the building and connect to the bridge on the far left. If that happens, I'd make that bridge a wallride instead, so cars on there can be targeted, and it's trickier to navigate.
The structure would be up on piers below, with shallow water like so: https://gyazo.com/09951367bce9aa9b471560824215a61c
Then the lower routes can either connect or go their own way, but also need to watch out for the pillars

#5 and #6: when players exit the structure area they have plenty of choices. The lower right route is fastest underneath, so it has an s-turn on the beach. The top routes are a bit too quick maybe, so may have to possibly drop them off the bridges either sooner or angle them to the side so that they need to make a turn to get to the bridge entrance at the end of the beach.

The far left (#4,5) or top left route that comes out from under the rocks (#6) will need easily hit speedpads to stay competitive

Overall, there will be quite a lot of changes to this map to improve variety, challenge and flow.

These are just ideas in these images, ideas that are obviously open for discussion ;)

Great ideas, can't wait to see them ingame :) Especially love #4-6 and #2, looking forward to see how it all turns out.

One more thing, there is an area between #1 and #2 that needs some rework as well, as it is just plain straight drive. Maybe a bit of a twisting road on the bridge on the left (with some cliffs sticking out of the water or something else to justify the twists ) and some rocks and small jumps and wavy terrain on the beach on the right?

Anyway, with all these changes, hoping for Islands to become the best track yet :)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:44 am

I think it's reasonable to say we aren't going to have many "water" level which is way I suggest GRIP should definitely condense water-fetish as much as possible in Islands, namely:
  • riding on a dam!
  • water level rising in portions of the track upon dam destruction (!)
  • underwater part (hardcore to implement - God bless our devs)
  • jumping through a waterfall
  • car/water interaction to some degree
    • to ricochet on water passing a certain speed threshold
    • to be slowed by it under a certain speed
    • water splash onscreen? (disabled when hud effect is off)
    • Being able to "sink" when off-track before auto respawning
  • dodging geysers or using them to "jump" (please please please)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JagzNA2oG20!
    geysers are easily found near volcanic Islands btw **cough*** volcano **cough**
(Anyone feel free to add to the list ;) )
Though extensively sweat inducing dev-wise (I'm probably not even close), it's the packing of similar elements in rapid succession that will make us go woooooooaw and oooooooh :mrgreen:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:53 am

Why do you consider underwater part to be harder to implement into grip but WHOLE damn level getting sunk cause of destruction of the dam not!? :D

You guys can't make water an animated texture? and work on a model of entry to the tunnel that has a moving water texture, so then you can just build tunnels underneath the world? Water doesn't need to be physx if you dont interact with most of it right? :'(
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:17 am

Queadah wrote:I think it's reasonable to say we aren't going to have many "water" level which is way I suggest GRIP should definitely condense water-fetish as much as possible in Islands, namely:
[list][*]riding on a dam!
[*]jumping through a waterfall

Hell Yes !!!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Underwater tunnels has been talked about quite a bit, but I can assure if they do get developed in the game, they won't be in this track. The resources needed to do this are too great for right now

XT3 wrote:You know I've been thinking. What if at the end of the track, there is a short cut like in Yuri Industrial. From where you are driving on the underside of the bridge. So perhaps there could be a slot just big enough for your car to stay on there.

Indeed, this is quite doable. But we're debating about modifying this area quite a bit in general

Queadah wrote:I had the exact same idea in earlier iterations of the map.
At least if the above part of the bridge had an exit into that building:

Would not want it above as then the cars aren't targetable the whole stretch of beach

Queadah wrote:I think it's reasonable to say we aren't going to have many "water" level which is way I suggest GRIP should definitely condense water-fetish as much as possible in Islands, namely:
  • riding on a dam!
  • jumping through a waterfall
  • car/water interaction to some degree
    • to be slowed by it under a certain speed
    • water splash onscreen? (disabled when hud effect is off)
    • Being able to "sink" when off-track before auto respawning
Though extensively sweat inducing dev-wise (I'm probably not even close), it's the packing of similar elements in rapid succession that will make us go woooooooaw and oooooooh :mrgreen:

Sweat-inducing doesn't even begin to describe. It's already a giant task to create levels on your own, but some of what was listed is a nightmare. I've left in the stuff that is somewhat possible, depending on resources.. as usual
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Tracks”