Starting grid - GRIP style!

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Starting grid - GRIP style!

Postby Queadah » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm opening this thread since TheOnly had an idea I think is genius and shouldn't go under the radar.
Currently, GRIP's starting line is like other racing game. The problem? GRIP isn't just any racing game ;)

Here's the idea (white boxes represent cars on the starting line):

• Reading TheOnly, some discussed initially of a double decker starting line so racers can boost start with more place around
  • And finally, TheOnly mentioned some cars could start upside down on top of the others (much in the same fashion as bats)
  • Those cars could be "hooked" on the roof with mechanical claws or whatever sci-fi/local antigrav tech
  • Thus, GRIP squeezes more juice out of its unique car mechanics
I think it's clever and could be quite fresh for the racing genre if executed properly.
You'd see racers on top of you getting those engines ready at 3... 2... 1... <3

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Starting grid - GRIP style!

Postby Django » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 am

Interesting idea but i looks a bit packet now. Could produce camera problems. Maybe the grid needs to be bigger for this to work.

Also since all start more or less at the same speed and position i think it could mean even more crashes at the starting point.

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 pm

What about at the start all cars are tied to like a slingshot system that give them a slight boost :p Like let's say all car's nose are hooked to a chain on the ground that propell them forward or something :)
I'm combat ready!

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 am

There's nothing wrong with the starting grid as it is already in the game. As for the starting boost, when the acceleration button is pressed at the right time during countdown, the boost might kick in slowly first, giving you time to outmaneuver the opponents who missed the shot (this already happens when driving the lightest car with the most acceleration), and then give you full boost after you are already far away from the pack.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:29 am

MicrowaveYourHamster wrote:There's nothing wrong with the starting grid as it is already in the game. As for the starting boost, when the acceleration button is pressed at the right time during countdown, the boost might kick in slowly first, giving you time to outmaneuver the opponents who missed the shot (this already happens when driving the lightest car with the most acceleration), and then give you full boost after you are already far away from the pack.

Actually you can still be a burger meat in the sandwich, boost or not. There are cases where you can't just escape it.

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 am

@VooDooQky

Yes, you are right, there are cases where you can't just escape it, but GRIP happens to be a game that consists mostly of such cases. :shock:

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 am

Yeah. Why improve a bad situation because there are other bad situations too?
Pretty bad reasoning if you ask me.

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:41 am

What I mean is that GRIP is intended to be sheer chaos and destruction. That's what you get when driving rocket-propelled vehicles on ceilings at around 500 kph. With this in mind, getting sometimes stuck in the starting grid seems to go hand in hand with the overall idea. It is the least bad-luck Brian who wins the race most of the time, right?

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 am

I would prefer cars to be launched straight from dropship. So you kinda fall on track from deployment hatch. Before start you see only inner ship's mechanisms and countdown lights.
You can accelerate before you hit the ground (jets) and "start boost" will also work. You will also be able to adjust position slightly.

Because classic "starting grid" is not what i would love to see in a futuristic combat racing. Its too normal. Even upside down "bat start" is not cool enough.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm

A dropship would be awesome, but it also is a bunch of work to get right. The starting gate is simple execution, which is what we need right now. We can think about other implementation in the polishing phase though
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Tracks”