Rollcage 1 vs Rollcage Stage 2

Our favourite racing game. The game that GRIP is deeply inspired by.

Talk about it here.
Fate
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Rollcage 1 vs Rollcage Stage 2

Postby Fate » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Re: Billboard by the finish line....

Hit it just right and you'll surf the explosion over the line... wheeee..... shaves a second off your time I think. Only really useful in time trial.
David Perryman
Producer/Designer
Grip

SyncrQ
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby SyncrQ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:33 pm

I cant imagine that a lot of you guys prefer the first one....
Back in the days, i started with Rollcage 2 as a kid and finished the game so many times. After i saw Redux, i played Rollcage I for the first time. Although i own it about 10 years for PC. So i dont have any nostalgic feelings with Rollcage.

The first time was so frustrating. The tracks are pretty sneaky and the cars behave like uncontrolable wet soaps.... :lol:
It feels like a beta of Rollcage 2 for me. :geek:

Things, why i prefer Rollcage 2:

• The soundtrack
    The soundtrack of Rollcage is a bit dull for me. I prefer the soundtrack of Rollcage 2 for PC the most. It give me a nice fell and sometimes i still listen to some tracks outside the game. While i started Rollcage2 for the first time after years, i got goosebumps from the music ( Snar Nation - Rollcage Stage II OST)
  • The cars
    The cars are more detailed and more creative compared to the first Rollcage, especially with bumpmap textures. I like even the sparks of the combustion engine and the red stripes you make while you are really fast. :mrgreen:.
  • The menue
    The whole menue is very stylish.
  • The gamemodes
    I like Scramble a lot and to collect the type III cars was also cool.
    It is also exciting when you have to beat a K.O. race.
  • The weapons
    I prefer the weapon style of Rollcage 2, because its more tactical to upgrade the weapons
  • The physics
    Yes, the physics of Rollcage 2 are much easyer, but its better understandable. In Rollcage, i aked me sometimes "why?" when my car was flipping through the map. Its also frustratig while i have to do huge jumps and the landig is a game of pure chance. Especially im leading the race...
  • The camera
    The camera in Rollcage is way to slow. When you flip, the camera cant follow the car and you are a bit disoriented
  • The track layout
    Because of the track layouts, it is possible to go faster. its clearer, brighter and the ceiling mechanic was much more usefull!

But what i really like on Rollcage, even it is frustrating, is the level of difficulty. At first i thought "Oh the first Rollcage, let me finish it quick" but i still try to beat the Taurus leage at the "hard" difficulty. Never thought it would attract me so long. ;)

At least...... I ENJOYED FIREBUGS 8-)

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:33 pm

SyncrQ wrote:I cant imagine that a lot of you guys prefer the first one....
Back in the days, i started with Rollcage 2 as a kid and finished the game so many times. After i saw Redux, i played Rollcage I for the first time. Although i own it about 10 years for PC. So i dont have any nostalgic feelings with Rollcage.

The first time was so frustrating. The tracks are pretty sneaky and the cars behave like uncontrolable wet soaps.... :lol:
It feels like a beta of Rollcage 2 for me. :geek:

Things, why i prefer Rollcage 2:

• The soundtrack
    The soundtrack of Rollcage is a bit dull for me. I prefer the soundtrack of Rollcage 2 for PC the most. It give me a nice fell and sometimes i still listen to some tracks outside the game. While i started Rollcage2 for the first time after years, i got goosebumps from the music ( Snar Nation - Rollcage Stage II OST)
  • The cars
    The cars are more detailed and more creative compared to the first Rollcage, especially with bumpmap textures. I like even the sparks of the combustion engine and the red stripes you make while you are really fast. :mrgreen:.
  • The menue
    The whole menue is very stylish.
  • The gamemodes
    I like Scramble a lot and to collect the type III cars was also cool.
    It is also exciting when you have to beat a K.O. race.
  • The weapons
    I prefer the weapon style of Rollcage 2, because its more tactical to upgrade the weapons
  • The physics
    Yes, the physics of Rollcage 2 are much easyer, but its better understandable. In Rollcage, i aked me sometimes "why?" when my car was flipping through the map. Its also frustratig while i have to do huge jumps and the landig is a game of pure chance. Especially im leading the race...
  • The camera
    The camera in Rollcage is way to slow. When you flip, the camera cant follow the car and you are a bit disoriented
  • The track layout
    Because of the track layouts, it is possible to go faster. its clearer, brighter and the ceiling mechanic was much more usefull!

But what i really like on Rollcage, even it is frustrating, is the level of difficulty. At first i thought "Oh the first Rollcage, let me finish it quick" but i still try to beat the Taurus leage at the "hard" difficulty. Never thought it would attract me so long. ;)

At least...... I ENJOYED FIREBUGS 8-)

For me goes the same, as a kid i played only the stage II, but now i have play redux version also quit a time and i have to admit the first rollcage as also its charm. Its less focused on new game modes and car design, but more on the sheer difficulty it brings with. You play more against the game then with the game, but the feeling when you actually beat the game is much greater.

To your points:
  • soundtrack is pretty much nostagia and i have the same feeling with stage II, but the longer you play redux the more addicted yoo get to the soundtrack aswell, especially on tracks like smugglers, daytona or paradise (for me)
  • the cars are better balanced on rollcage 1, but the design is better on the second.
  • weapons: the advantage of the first rollcage is that there is no wormhole. and you can get more creative with the missles. youget a greater boost from explosions, which lets you perform some really intersting stunts.
  • physics... yeah you need to get used to it. Something interesting to say: jumping with the cars is different on which side your driving, there is a good and a bad side. on redux you always start on the bad side. the chance of flipping while landing is much lower on the good side.
  • camera: i also dont like the camera when you crash, because it always zooms in, which makes it very hard to orientate (especially in tunnels)
  • The track layout: also more difficult in the first one. you actually need to use the brake more often. And it has some really tight corners and obstacle placement. But both games have their good tracks and bad tracks.

If you re still stuck in the "hard" difficulty you didnt get that much of the game, you still have to unlock the expert difficulty (and yuri(car)) and thats when things will get really hard. I also havent beaten the scorpion and taurus league on expert, the last track costs me always the game. For unlocking things you need to get first in all races in the league (also you should do it with the same car)

I can recommand to play redux a bit more, as long as grip isnt out. Its totally worth the play time and eventually you will change your mind.
I like both games they have their advantages and disadvantages and i hope grip combines the advantages ;)

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:35 pm

If you think Hard is hard, have fun with Neo mode.

:)

But yeah, the challenge of the first game is why most people feel it's the better game. Stage II might have more variety, better cars/car designs and weapons, but it's just too -easy-. But then it took most of us years of playing to get as good as we all are (I've been playing since I was 11). Just keep playing and playing, and eventually it all starts to click. ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:27 pm

KazzyMac wrote:If you think Hard is hard, have fun with Neo mode.

But yeah, the challenge of the first game is why most people feel it's the better game. Stage II might have more variety, better cars/car designs and weapons, but it's just too -easy-. But then it took most of us years of playing to get as good as we all are (I've been playing since I was 11). Just keep playing and playing, and eventually it all starts to click. ;)

Agreed.

Also the weekly game does wonders for one's understanding of the game.
And because of the hardcore, edge of control gameplay, it is fun as hell since even the veterans screw up from time to time.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:24 pm

landvaarder wrote:

And because of the hardcore, edge of control gameplay, it is fun as hell since even the veterans screw up from time to time.

Just from time to time ? lol :D
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Ffing Potty.
Does well the entire race, then messes it all up on the last lap, last corner by slamming straight into a wall.
I sometimes wonder if you do it on purpose, 'cause it happens so freaking much to you :p

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Broscar wrote:Ffing Potty.
Does well the entire race, then messes it all up on the last lap, last corner by slamming straight into a wall.
I sometimes wonder if you do it on purpose, 'cause it happens so freaking much to you :p

That's because either i lose focus, or i focus too much on the last lap ^^
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:51 pm

GODDAMNIT! STAGE 2 IS SUPERIOR! btw sup im back xDDD my pc died last week xDDD

1. Stage 2 have better designs (for cars ofc)
2. Stage 2 have more weapons (I DONT GIVE A FAQ THAT THEYRE USELESS)
3. Stage 2 have better track designes ( OK. maybe they aren`t the wildest but still. I PRAISE THE PERSON THAT CAME UP WITH FLOATING TRACK IDEA)
4. Stage 2 have GENESIS
5. Stage 2 have 3 leagues (with different color schemes for cars and higher difficulty)
6. #bandups

EDIT. Rollcage 1 have one thing that makes it good SUPERBOWL BICHEZ
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Broscar wrote:WROB3L might barge in here and spout his lunacy about RC2 being better, but we all know he's loco anyway.

;p

I like Stage II a lot and still play it regularly, despite it's faults:
  • A few of the weapons being bad (ranging from 'why am I shooting a gatling gun at no one for 20 seconds' to the cheat wormhole).
  • The upgradeable weapon system.
  • Some bad tracks (though there are plenty of great ones).
It's pretty much better in every other way compared to RC1, even physics-wise.
So why isn't it the better game? Because it's just so freaking boring.

There are no ups and downs in Stage II, unless you're a bloody loony. There's no excitement from trying to gain the first place and holding it.
It's like having a brand new, polished to a pristine sheen Lamborghini with the engine of a dirt bike in it. I imagine some people enjoy Stage II either for nostalgia reasons or because they are pleased by the arguably better presentation of the game, but taking a dump is more exciting for me than playing Stage II.
This is partially fixed by grabbing Genesis and driving on Archipelago, 'cause that ups the difficulty a good bit, but that's not a polished experience at all.

Stage II is like having sex whilst wearing a 2cm thick rubber.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:41 am

Broscar wrote:Stage II is like having sex whilst wearing a 2cm thick rubber.

That's...

...the shortest yet most accurate thing anyone has ever said about RCS2, I guess?
sus

SyncrQ
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby SyncrQ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:05 pm

So, tell me more about the Neo mode!. 8-)
I won the last cup in the expert mode. Is there a secret cup after the taurus cup? How do i unlock the superbowl track?
Rollcage was a lot of fun for me. And guys you are right in some points.

The weapon balancing is better than RCS2.
You have to break more, because the tracks got a lot of bumps.
I prefer the function of the wormhole in RC.
After i learned to handle a car in RC, it is a lot of fun to hold it under control.

Finally i was able to drive the car from the RC2 cover :lol:

WROB3L wrote:EDIT. Rollcage 1 have one thing that makes it good SUPERBOWL BICHEZ

RCS2 also own a Superbowl track. :ugeek:

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:53 am

SyncrQ wrote:

I won the last cup in the expert mode. Is there a secret cup after the taurus cup?

Neo mode is a cheat code you use to make the game go faster. (the code is: mynameisneo)
This indirectly makes the game much harder as you slide around a lot more and each and every bump launches you 20M in the air.
It basically changes the way you need to control the car: from making sure you don't mess up to recover correctly when you mess up (cause it will happen... a lot)

Broscar almost plays exclusively on this mode and we kinda made it an inside joke (broscar mode, mynameisbroscar)
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 pm

landvaarder wrote:
SyncrQ wrote:

I won the last cup in the expert mode. Is there a secret cup after the taurus cup?

Neo mode is a cheat code you use to make the game go faster. (the code is: mynameisneo)
This indirectly makes the game much harder as you slide around a lot more and each and every bump launches you 20M in the air.
It basically changes the way you need to control the car: from making sure you don't mess up to recover correctly when you mess up (cause it will happen... a lot)

Broscar almost plays exclusively on this mode and we kinda made it an inside joke (broscar mode, mynameisbroscar)

On the contrary, t_n_o hates this mod. mynameistno would stand for the normal mode then
(not implemented yet ; to deactivate Neo mode you have to type mynameisneo again)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:49 am

Going to be one of those weirdos and say that I like stage 2 more than the first one. Mainly because of nostalgia reasons and I was playing it when I was young. It was a nice balance of difficultly for 6-8 year old me. Guess that is a sign that it is too easy. RC1 is better driving wise but it doesn't have scramble either. Imagine RC1 physics with scramble.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:50 pm

yellowquiet wrote:Going to be one of those weirdos and say that I like stage 2 more than the first one. Mainly because of nostalgia reasons and I was playing it when I was young. It was a nice balance of difficultly for 6-8 year old me. Guess that is a sign that it is too easy. RC1 is better driving wise but it doesn't have scramble either. Imagine RC1 physics with scramble.

Hi five mah fluffybunny!
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:58 pm

@WROB3L
/)(\
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Rollcage”