OS X, Linux, Steam OS versions?

Discuss more technical topics here
the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

OS X, Linux, Steam OS versions?

Postby the-GURU-man » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:31 am

So, I've been thinking...

Are there any plans for the game to be made also for OS X, Linux and Steam OS?

Why I think it would be a good move:
- when I am on the go, I use MacBook, and there are almost no racing games available - apart from Grid, Dirt and some old and/or bargain bin games
- if you make Grip for Mac, there is almost no competition in the genre on the system
- Unreal Engine supports also Mac and Linux, so maybe the transition wouldn't be so problematic, and there is quite a lot of Unreal Engine games available for Mac and Linux
- Steam OS and Steam Machines are around the corner and are aiming to take over the living room - however the selection of racing games for Steam OS is, again, limited, and there are none that I know of with support for split-screen multiplayer -> a feature many players in living room would kill for!

And I understand why it may be a problem:
- Direct X - I think, from what I've read, that you are implementing DX, and OSX and Linux don't support that (or do they?), changing to Open GL or something else may be too much hassle
- Apple doesn't use the high-end cards, mostly integrated Intel HD Graphics, so optimization would need to keep that in mind
- from what I've heard, Linux graphics drivers suck donkey balls

I understand that you are focusing on developing the game for initial November early access release for Windows PC, but would it be possible to keep this possibilities open for future updates? Also, I am aware that Humble Bundle is actually helping developers to port their games for Mac and Linux - so maybe in the future let them help with the transition and use their storefront and maybe one of their bundles to gain some momentum and put the game more into headlights?
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: OS X, Linux, Steam OS versions?

Postby Broscar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Linux: viewtopic.php?p=2315#p2315
For Mac, I imagine to be pretty far down the list as well (at least underneath the possibility of a Xbone port).

Personally, I'd love to have a version for Linux. It's gotten easier lately to publish games on Linux, in part thanks to Steam's "Ubuntu-wrapper", but it's still a minefield and very cost ineffective, so I don't blame Chris/Rob if they don't want to burn their development time on it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Broscar wrote:Personally, I'd love to have a version for Linux. It's gotten easier lately to publish games on Linux, in part thanks to Steam's "Ubuntu-wrapper", but it's still a minefield and very cost ineffective, so I don't blame Chris/Rob if they don't want to burn their development time on it.

Though, OP has a point with Steam-OS. I am not sure that Steam OS is widely used right now, but if one day it is widely used, it could become a replacement for the consoles, and then GRIP would gain a big audience.

But same goes for Xbox I guess. The main problem is that they just don't have the resources to do it.

Still, in the future, yeah that would be cool to gain coverage.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:34 am

Yes, Unreal supports Linux and MAC but these things are never simple. Once we've got the PC and PS4 versions sorted out, we can think about other platforms ;)
Game Director
GRIP

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yes, Unreal supports Linux and MAC but these things are never simple. Once we've got the PC and PS4 versions sorted out, we can think about other platforms ;)

I hope you do :)
I just wanted to point to the OSX field, almost not touched by racing games.
This is, I believe, the latest racing game that was released for OSX and Linux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxQdpxvOLg
I've heard that Humble Bundle are helping to port games to OSX and Linux, so maybe that would be a possibility after you release the game on PC and PS4.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:41 pm

That's cool about Humble Bundle. Thanks for the heads up
Game Director
GRIP

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Chris_CE wrote:That's cool about Humble Bundle. Thanks for the heads up

here is some intel: http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/101186281150/you-helped-bring-over-100-games-to-linux

Return to “Technical & Hardware”