The Not So Official Dev Blog

Official Announcements about Grip
Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: The Not So Official Dev Blog

Postby Sceptre » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Chris_CE wrote:The wheels are magnetised, hovering around the axle, so they're free to rotate either forwards or backwards, and also have suspension that works both ways (theoretically of course). The rear thrusters mainly propel the car forward. Then there's the matter of reversing... but we don't talk about that :P

Reversing is a feature. You'll need the forward thruster DLC. ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 pm

A little update:

-Air control is now implemented. No guarantee on it's inclusion, as we are still experimenting with it
-We've got OGRE Sound and Kevin Greenlee currently working on an ingame tune and a menu tune, respectively.
-Main menu is under way, and we've got the slow motion scenes from the dance of destruction playing as a background
-Vehicle damage and explosion effects are almost done for arena mode. Expect a big boom when a car blows up
-The arena map is set on Liddo 5 and has an interesting setup, with multiple levels to drive up and down
-Drifting now has a visual aid of the side thruster blasting. It's pretty cool.

Sceptre wrote:Reversing is a feature. You'll need the forward thruster DLC. ;)

You guys wanted microtransactions right? :D
Game Director
GRIP

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

€0.99 on demand assassins, was it?

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:40 am

Or pay €25.00 to become immune to assassins. But why stop there? You can also buy the €5 instant boost start for every race and get a turbo power up too. and just for €3, you can get an all direction shield! Chris, you writing this down?
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:23 am

yellowquiet wrote:Or pay €25.00 to become immune to assassins. But why stop there? You can also buy the €5 instant boost start for every race and get a turbo power up too. and just for €3, you can get an all direction shield! Chris, you writing this down?

This kills the game
(I know you're not serious though)
You're just a voice pal.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:27 pm

StickyBassline wrote:
yellowquiet wrote:Or pay €25.00 to become immune to assassins. But why stop there? You can also buy the €5 instant boost start for every race and get a turbo power up too. and just for €3, you can get an all direction shield! Chris, you writing this down?

This kills the game
(I know you're not serious though)

No, it does not. If you want to kill the game (removing the game from steam), you will have to give at least 1 billion euro to CagedElement. This way, you will be ensured to be the only one playing the game. Consider it as a Pay To Make Everyone Lose transaction.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 pm

$100/€100/£60 Autopilot Unlockable!
Putting effort into getting good is for the poor. Unlock this equipable item and you'll never have to touch a filthy <INPUT DEVICE> ever again!

"It's totally not pay to win, guys!" ~Chris.
"I'm so f*cking tired of programming." ~Rob.

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:50 am

Chris_CE wrote:A little update:

-Air control is now implemented. No guarantee on it's inclusion, as we are still experimenting with it
-We've got OGRE Sound and Kevin Greenlee currently working on an ingame tune and a menu tune, respectively.
-Main menu is under way, and we've got the slow motion scenes from the dance of destruction playing as a background
-Vehicle damage and explosion effects are almost done for arena mode. Expect a big boom when a car blows up
-The arena map is set on Liddo 5 and has an interesting setup, with multiple levels to drive up and down
-Drifting now has a visual aid of the side thruster blasting. It's pretty cool.

Sceptre wrote:Reversing is a feature. You'll need the forward thruster DLC. ;)

You guys wanted microtransactions right? :D

Thanks for the update, that all sounds great! Sounds like things are really coming along, any rough ballpark for the first build on steam?

And I know your kidding with the microtransactions :lol:

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 am

If you start selling cosmetic items with microtransactions, to help drive some after-sales income, I am okay with that. I believe most of the gaming crowd is.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm

the-GURU-man wrote:If you start selling cosmetic items with microtransactions, to help drive some after-sales income, I am okay with that. I believe most of the gaming crowd is.

That is too triple A in my opinion...
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:09 pm

the-GURU-man wrote:If you start selling cosmetic items with microtransactions, to help drive some after-sales income, I am okay with that. I believe most of the gaming crowd is.

we need hats for our cars, i want a top hat on mine lol
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

tjgcrush wrote:

we need hats for our cars, i want a top hat on mine lol

No, what we need are pixelated shades... >.>

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Tophat and Monocle please, thank you.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Dunno, cosmetic crap that doesn't influence gameplay in any way is okay by me. If that helps devs to get some revenue and allows them to continue developing the game after release and add new features, I'm saying go for it.

The truth is that 50% of revenue in F2P games comes from just 0.15% of total players.

This kind of sh*t saved Counter Strike from obscurity. LoL, DOTA and other MOBAs are thriving on this system. Team Fortress detto.
Destiny recently got this microtransactions system for cosmetic stuff and it works. Damn, people even seem happy, thanks to publisher first dicking around and claiming that these new cosmetics would be included only in some super limited super expensive re-release of the game. Now, since players can buy the cosmetics for a piecemeal price, they seem to be happy. Compared to spending 80 bucks or so on re-release of the game, a dollar a piece deal is much better. Activision suits may be dicks, but they are not stupid.

I am defending my master thesis, which deals with behavioral economics and video games, next week. I've been doing some research and from the reports I've got my hands on... there is nothing to lose by including microtransactions for cosmetic items. Unless you start selling sh*t that affects balance on battlefield and you'll be upfront about the plans for microtransactions for cosmetics, your reputation is safe.

More readings on the topic:
Monetization report by Swrve (I believe there is an updated version available somewhere, but this data is recent enough): http://landingpage.swrve.com/rs/swrve/images/swrve-monetization-report-0114.pdf
Report by Ethan Levy, expert on monetization (I've seen raw data behind some of his research and it's solid): http://kotaku.com/why-microtransactions-arent-going-away-any-time-soon-1674260827
Here's a good article about cosmetics and Counter Strike: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-400-virtual-knives-saved-counter-strike/

P.S.: Don't do it PayDay 2 style. Those guys blew it. If you are as much as considering microtransactions in the future, be upfront about that. Don't include better weapons or powerups behind microtransactions.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:22 am

I agree with everything the-GURU-man said. Valve handled micro transactions in the best way. They just offered cosmetic guns with counters on them. Actually, rather than micro transactions, what would be cool would be a nostalgia pack of some sort as DLC. Like having a pack of cars inspired by old rollcage cars. Maybe having similar stats too. Maybe more balanced stats for Genesis. Or dare I say....Similar handling styles? Don't want to kill Rob. Can't imagine programming the old handling would be very easy at all.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:19 am

yellowquiet wrote:I agree with everything the-GURU-man said. Valve handled micro transactions in the best way. They just offered cosmetic guns with counters on them. Actually, rather than micro transactions, what would be cool would be a nostalgia pack of some sort as DLC. Like having a pack of cars inspired by old rollcage cars. Maybe having similar stats too. Maybe more balanced stats for Genesis. Or dare I say....Similar handling styles? Don't want to kill Rob. Can't imagine programming the old handling would be very easy at all.

Selling cars with different stats or more balanced weapons is consistent with pay-2-win models, something that backfires a lot in non-F2P games. PayDay 2 f*cked up lately. Few years back, the devs said they will never do microtransactions. A week or two back, suddenly you were able to get a safe from the game, but to open it's content, you had to buy a key for 2.5 USD. Inside were some random items, like custom skins, etc. But also some weapons, which initially looked just like normal weapons with new skins, however after closer inspection, those weapons had better stats. You can probably imagine how that went with the fanbase...
I can imagine a system where after-sale revenue is coming from selling new skins for cars, some different audio-visualeffects for the weapons, hats for cars, monocle, random junk... basically, we all jumped in on that, paying in advance for what essentially are cosmetic items - disco assassin, fancy skins for the cars, etc.
Map packs and car packs should be then handled as free DLC. Get inspired by Witcher 3 devs - it's more of a marketing stunt, because 17 free DLC packs sound way better than some after release updates. If you start selling new map packs as paid DLC, the community will start to fragment and you may be facing issues such as empty lobbies for certain maps. Look no further than to Battlefield where players are basically forced to shell out cash for Premium, otherwise they have a hard time finding sessions with normal game modes on maps from basic game.
Car packs DLC - me thinks it's okay if those cars have the same specs as cars accessible to players who don't purchase DLC, just with fancy skins and maybe new VFX, but nothing affecting the way the cars handle.

To sum it up:
- earn money by selling fancy skins, cosmetic items and funny VFX for guns, exhausts and the sound of the engines, etc.
- use that money to support continuous development of the game and occassionally make a new map, car or a weapon
- release that new content as a regular after release update, but call it a free DLC, so you earn good karma points
- capitalize on the new updates by offering new exclusive skins and VFX for the new cars and stuff
- to extract more customer surplus, offer a "season pass" for like 20 or 30 bucks that grants access to all the subsequent cosmetic items for no further payment. release this "season pass" on special occassions, like with a release of new "free DLC" content, and have it on sale for just a week or so, in order to put pressure on undecided players. throw in an exclusive VFX (something like disco assassin, but of course different), but make sure that this exclusive VFX is different each time - maybe someone will buy "season pass" more than once :D

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:31 am

yellowquiet wrote:I agree with everything the-GURU-man said. Valve handled micro transactions in the best way. They just offered cosmetic guns with counters on them. Actually, rather than micro transactions, what would be cool would be a nostalgia pack of some sort as DLC. Like having a pack of cars inspired by old rollcage cars. Maybe having similar stats too. Maybe more balanced stats for Genesis. Or dare I say....Similar handling styles? Don't want to kill Rob. Can't imagine programming the old handling would be very easy at all.

Paying for differents stats : Even if it is done in a good way (balanced stats etc..), people would view it as a P2W model anyway. I would not want to see the GRIP community broken because of this.

Fact : Awesomenauts introduced an extension, with characters proper to the extension only. They are not stronger than the vanilla characters ; they have done the stuff right (it might even be the reverse : some vanilla characters are actually a lot more useful than the extension characters, according to the top 100 stats). But even with that, some people call for "P2W characters".

Sure, these people don't have much knowledge of the game when saying that (I bet they don't have more than 100 hours into the game, or are just too dumb to realize it's not P2W at all), but still, it makes the Awesomenauts' web reputation worst than what it could be.

If you bring purchasable stats within GRIP, the same would occur in my opinion.

Cosmetic item on the other hand, everyone seems happy with it, and it could help the devs gaining some money.. I would be all up for it
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Huh. Never knew it would possibly be viewed so negatively. Only reason why I said new stats was because just a car reskin would seem lame. Although when done right it could be interesting. Such as new sounds and effects for it. I'd still buy a car pack if it was for supporting the devs.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:15 am

yellowquiet wrote:Huh. Never knew it would possibly be viewed so negatively. Only reason why I said new stats was because just a car reskin would seem lame. Although when done right it could be interesting. Such as new sounds and effects for it. I'd still buy a car pack if it was for supporting the devs.

I agree that it must be done right. Simple new color scheme would be kinda lame :D
Can I have a death metal tank that sucks out the light from the environment? :D :D :D

Btw, we are already getting a nice cosmetic DLCs for our support. Early supporter skin, gold armor, disco weapons, paintball machinegun... nothing that throws balance off, but makes the game look and feel way cooler and diverse :)

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:37 am

the-GURU-man wrote:Btw, we are already getting a nice cosmetic DLCs for our support. Early supporter skin, gold armor, disco weapons, paintball machinegun... nothing that throws balance off, but makes the game look and feel way cooler and diverse :)

Exactly and in my oppinion this is already close to the limit of being still ok. (still in the boundaries so dont get agitated) Because people who get to know grip later cant have those.

It dont like dlcs for money because it gives the players who not want to pay extra the feeling of not having the full game.

A way that is maybe acceptable is to sell stuff like skins, sound that are inspired by popular games. So only some fans of those games would really want to have that stuff everybody else would probably not care much.

I liked how the devs from this war of mine done it. They made a "pay as much as you want" charity dlc. Ok its a bit diffrent because the money wasnt for the devs but the idea is atleast intresting. The dlc added some graffiti by real artists to the game. Base price 0,25 $ but people could also pay up to 30 $ if they wanted.

Return to “Announcements”