The Not So Official Dev Blog

Official Announcements about Grip
the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: The Not So Official Dev Blog

Postby the-GURU-man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:02 am

Django wrote: I liked how the devs from this war of mine done it. They made a "pay as much as you want" charity dlc. Ok its a bit diffrent because the money wasnt for the devs but the idea is atleast intresting. The dlc added some graffiti by real artists to the game. Base price 0,25 $ but people could also pay up to 30 $ if they wanted.

Yeah, that was cool. I think that it was more about the idea than about the expansion by itself. Offering an exclusive car with some custom design and paint job, but still with the same handling as some other type of car in-game so others are not in disadvantage, could work nicely for pay-what-you-want. Actually, I would do it a la Humble Bundle style and give players some incentive to pay more (say 10 USD) by offering something extra on top, like a custom weapon effects. That would be consistent with what they are doing now in pre-order stage. This kind of stuff is almost universally met with positive public response.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Aurilius
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Aurilius » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:28 am

What you really have to do is DLC in the form of ROCKET LEAGUE's car skins.

Rocket League is praised as a HUGE success by like everyone on the internet because it has no blatantly bad microtransactions and it's an upfront bullshit-free game. Even though Rocket League has "microtransactions" in the form of car skins, the positives of the game outweigh the negatives of having microtransactions, and therefore Rocket League gets a free pass on the whole microtransactions issue. Rocket League also sells a lot of the microtransactions, too.

TL;DR: After this game comes out of Early Access, a way to make a little money is to implement unique car skins, and car skins ONLY, as microtransactions. Many people will accept it and be OK with it.

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Aurileus wrote:TL;DR: After this game comes out of Early Access, a way to make a little money is to implement unique car skins, and car skins ONLY, as microtransactions. Many people will accept it and be OK with it.

This is a possibility to make some revenue when it comes to microtranscations, and really only skins. You lads don't want to deal with a fanbase that sees all the veteran players go when implementing stat boosting things, just like PAYDAY2 currently has.
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Aurilius
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Aurilius » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:52 pm

When do you guys think it'll be coming out on Early Access? I personally cannot wait to play it and would love if it came out a month early ^_^

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm

@Aurileus
They plan on coming out on early access on November 30th.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:24 pm

We will deliver Early Access by no later than November 30th 2015.

Not exactly...they will deliver it no later than the 30th of November. So Aurileus, it might still happen ;)

Aurilius
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Aurilius » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 pm

I really hope it'll come out long before Nov. 30th, as a surprise. I'm extremely hyped for this game!!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Sorry guys, it won't be coming out much earlier than the end of the month. In fact, we may need to delay until first week of December, depending on how things go this month. There's a lot of work to do, and for such a small team. We want you to play the best possible version of the game, right out of the gate.

To address Django's concern about content being offered now but not later... the funds that we gain now from devoted fans is putting immediately to use in paying expenses for development. This is a special case where that money means so much to us in that you guys are actually getting this game made. For that, you need to be rewarded, and that's why we have skins and effects exclusive to the early supporters (stuff on our site)

The only way I can see other people being able to buy these after we launch, is when the game has been out for a while and then we put them up for sale as DLC. But that's not for sure. Some of you who supported early may feel cheated.

the-GURU-man wrote:Btw, we are already getting a nice cosmetic DLCs for our support. Early supporter skin, gold armor, disco weapons, paintball machinegun... nothing that throws balance off, but makes the game look and feel way cooler and diverse :)

This pretty much sums it up. If we were going to have microtransactions, they would be strictly cosmetic. We don't like P2W as much as anyone else... it's a cop out.

So new skins, rims, body kits, effects, etc could be available for those who don't mind spending a little on something fun for their favourite ride(s). Totally optional, and doesn't affect the way the game plays.

And microtransactions would no doubt only happen (IF they do happen) once the game is out of early access.
Game Director
GRIP

RuskiTalib3003
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RuskiTalib3003 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 am

Chris_CE wrote:Sorry guys, it won't be coming out much earlier than the end of the month. In fact, we may need to delay until first week of December, depending on how things go this month. There's a lot of work to do, and for such a small team. We want you to play the best possible version of the game, right out of the gate.

To address Django's concern about content being offered now but not later... the funds that we gain now from devoted fans is putting immediately to use in paying expenses for development. This is a special case where that money means so much to us in that you guys are actually getting this game made. For that, you need to be rewarded, and that's why we have skins and effects exclusive to the early supporters (stuff on our site)

The only way I can see other people being able to buy these after we launch, is when the game has been out for a while and then we put them up for sale as DLC. But that's not for sure. Some of you who supported early may feel cheated.

the-GURU-man wrote:Btw, we are already getting a nice cosmetic DLCs for our support. Early supporter skin, gold armor, disco weapons, paintball machinegun... nothing that throws balance off, but makes the game look and feel way cooler and diverse :)

This pretty much sums it up. If we were going to have microtransactions, they would be strictly cosmetic. We don't like P2W as much as anyone else... it's a cop out.

So new skins, rims, body kits, effects, etc could be available for those who don't mind spending a little on something fun for their favourite ride(s). Totally optional, and doesn't affect the way the game plays.

And microtransactions would no doubt only happen (IF they do happen) once the game is out of early access.

You could also add something like cases in CSGO. People would moan that It's going to be a next case opening simulator clone because of that but I'm sure it would give you some money that you really need at this moment ;) But of course it's totally up to you if you want to add it. Some fans would not like it and some fans (like me) would be super extremly okay with it! :D

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 am

Chris_CE wrote:Sorry guys, it won't be coming out much earlier than the end of the month. In fact, we may need to delay until first week of December, depending on how things go this month. There's a lot of work to do, and for such a small team. We want you to play the best possible version of the game, right out of the gate.

If you find yourself in need of something to keep you busy during that extra week, you can watch the excellent "Double Fine Adventure!" documentary, available on their channel.

Chris_CE wrote:The only way I can see other people being able to buy these after we launch, is when the game has been out for a while and then we put them up for sale as DLC. But that's not for sure. Some of you who supported early may feel cheated.

Personally I don't mind. Gold plating is so tacky anyway, and the more racers with paintballs, the more we can turn the track into a splatoon match. ;)

Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sceptre » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:00 am

I'm just excited we can get our hands on Grip in the near future. As for the DLC stuff, I wouldn't feel cheated if the early support rewards are given to post-release buyers. I gave early access support because I wanna see Grip happen, that's all that matters to me. :)
Actually I would feel that not giving post-release buyers any content simply because they were late is more cheating them.

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 am

Great to hear, but Chris, still be careful about this line you posted on the home page:

We will deliver Early Access by no later than November 30th 2015. If this deadline is not met, we will return a full refund of your transaction (upon request).

I don't see us demanding a refund if you extend it by a week, but someone else might try to bite you...

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Chris_CE wrote:So new skins, rims, body kits, effects, etc could be available for those who don't mind spending a little on something fun for their favourite ride(s). Totally optional, and doesn't affect the way the game plays.

That's what a lot of games do nowadays and I honestly think it's great! A ton of people including myself pay a lot to look good in games and there's nothing wrong with that imo. The price you're offering for Grip is very low and I'd certainly be happy if you keep making new parts, skins etc, it keeps the game staying fresh and keeps a steady income :) Just look at CS:GO, TF2 and Warframe, skins are their primary income.
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Sounds like you guys are ok with having cosmetic DLC, as well as allowing new players to get the early supporter rewards later down the line :)

A little Dev update:

- Mick (sound guy) has done some work on the vehicle engine assets, and the car sounds 10x better. The machine gun is also punchier. Damn, I'm excited to see what else he can do.
    -Rob is well on his way to making the game more stable on a wider range of systems. We hope to have everyone running the game when we release
    -Joe has drawn a plethora of awesome concepts for environment assets, and I'm sure he'd like to show some of them to you next month
    -Dave has gotten the keys from Valve for all the people who pre-ordered off of our site, but we cannot give them to you just yet, as it will give access to the test (see: ugly) build version that's currently on Steam. We'll be shooting them out once the release build is up on Steam
    -OGRE Sound has unfortunately left the project, but we've just brought on a dnb duo from the UK who pump out some badass tunes. They're trying to make their mark on the scene and hopefully GRIP will help

Torben wrote:I don't see us demanding a refund if you extend it by a week, but someone else might try to bite you...

Yep, we took that into account. Maybe some people would want a refund, but most would no doubt just wait the extra week.

That said, we're working very hard, trying to get this thing ready by Nov 30th, and so far, we're on schedule
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Noice! I don't care about exact dates, just make it as good as you want it to be for us rather than rush it out and we have a worse experience. As for newer players getting stuff. Zero problem with it. Everyone should have the chance to to feel as involved as any other player. Don't need no cliques feeling elitist just because they got involved during development. Should most certainly be a case of "jump on board and you can look as awesome as we do!".

CAN NOT WAIT!!!

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Dunno, kinda like having something unique for the early guys only.
But then again I'm a bastard like that that wants to have some unique perks to being an early backer...

However, I'm supporting whatever choice you guys end up making.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:33 am

i would also appreciate to have some small thing that makes the early bakers version special. i dont care about the car skin or the weapon mods, being also available for newer player. For me it would be enough to have a "Thank you for your early support" somewhere written in the game (ofc only for the ones who actually did).
For cosmetic DLC, as long as it´s not gameplay changing i dont mind. I probably wouldnt buy any of it, but making the crowd throw more money to the devs isnt bad.

PS: im hyped to see the early access version

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:02 am

Generally, you'd want to avoid having part of the player base feel like they are "missing out".
However there's also some demand for status recognition so a compromise is in order; let any player buy the special skin, but early backers get a version with a small sticker that says "FIRST!" on it. That and an obnoxious horn sound effect, of course.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 am

Raion wrote:Generally, you'd want to avoid having part of the player base feel like they are "missing out".
However there's also some demand for status recognition so a compromise is in order; let any player buy the special skin, but early backers get a version with a small sticker that says "FIRST!" on it. That and an obnoxious horn sound effect, of course.

You mean this, right? :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:02 pm

KazzyMac wrote:
Raion wrote:Generally, you'd want to avoid having part of the player base feel like they are "missing out".

You mean this, right? :P

Yes. The gold backer skin must have the MLG horn.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Announcements”