GRIP Tank Class Racer - WIP

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

GRIP Tank Class Racer - WIP

Postby minimacman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi there everybody, my name's Tom and i'm a hard surface modeller from the UK.
I'm working on the first of the "Tank" class GRIP racers, I would love any feedback you guys have in terms of design, this is not a final model and i'm tweaking it constantly.
This first post is an art dump of early ideas and designs, the next post will be current designs.
The tyre change of design was down to when the car flips over, the tread will be travelling in the opposite direction so as a result would look a little strange to the driver so a more uniformed design was created.
My portfolio is here for anybody who's interested in my other works: www.artstation.com/artist/minimacman

I look forward to any ideas you guys have to share over the designs to help bring this awesome car design to life!
Racing is love, Racing is life :P
vvv Click the image to see my portfolio vvv

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Re: GRIP Tank Class Racer - WIP

Postby minimacman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Here is the current state of the GRIP tank class car.

The back section and engine area is still unfinished at the moment, what does everyone think about the engine placement?

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:29 pm

I love it!! The front part is really square and heavy just like you'd think it would be on a tank. I also love the top and underside flat parts. Greebled just right and with not many protruding elements making for the profile to be true to the "this is a box with wheels" vibe.

Regarding the engine section: i think that having it somewhat streamlined as it is now would be a better fit on a more racing-oriented vehicle. On this beast i'd imagine that it should look more like the back of a huge spaceship: mostly flat and with big rockets. A few examples to explain better the idea:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwhuKEowSg
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwgsKBAwEA
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwhvKEswSw
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwgdKAEwAQ
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... MwgfKAMwAw

I believe such booty would make this car pretty recognizable among the others!

Anyway, that's my 0.02$. I am now going to get off on those renders. Brb.
Last edited by Unreal.2K7 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:33 pm

Aha thanks Unreal.2K7! that's a really nice idea i'll definitely look into that, I did think the engine area was too rounded at the moment!

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:41 pm

I just wrote my opinion on the model in the picture. I like already how detailed the tank is. Also the trusters of the tank classes should be the biggest. Heavy car, need big engines :D And maybe some more asymetrie on the top and the bottom side, so you can tell on which side you drive.
V2l1NRL.jpg
V2l1NRL.jpg (872.79 KiB) Viewed 11842 times

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey Tiakh,
Thanks for the tips on the car, I agree with the front of the tank, as I said in on of the above posts, I wanted to keep the design as close to the concept as possible (due to it being so awesome!) but to get the same look the front needed extending, I will try pulling it in for the next post to see what it looks like as it would probably give it a nice "heavy" feel to it!

The tyres at the moment are a set size for the cars but if Chris says we can use wider tyres I'm all for making them wider, but your right about the hit boxes and it might make them a bit harder to drive with UE4's physics engine.

The issue with asymmetry is once the car flips it'll look a little strange as everything will be flipped over and sometimes reversed. If your referring to top/bottom symmetry, the top and bottom do look different in terms of design, but I haven't fully designed the bottom area yet so ill post some images of that soon!

And yes the engines will definitely be much bigger! :D
Thanks again :)

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 pm

I love the look of the tank class. makes me want to ram into things with no regard of others. Hopefully the physics would be adjusted so this will be able to push smaller cars out of the way.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Very sweet designs! minimacman you rock.

If I may, since top and bottom could be different and some asymmetry exist, why not going all the way and go with your first set of weels!
As you said the tread would move in opposite direction once the car flips BUT you'd add 100% more variety, which I like personally.

One wants to make clear distinctions between classes at first glance and your first set of tyre sculptures do exactly that in a sleek way.

edit: what about replacing one or two blocks on the top/bottom with visible pipes and tubes? It would give a more "organic" feel without removing the "tank" vibe imo

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks Queadah :)
I did have a conversation with Chris about this, but at the moment we wanted to go with a "grippy" symmetrical feel, but I may go back and edit the first tyres to have the same grippy feel! I think its the fact the first tyre set makes the car look like it'll slip all over the place aha.

what about replacing one or two blocks on the top/bottom with visible pipes and tubes? It would give a more "organic" feel without removing the "tank" vibe imo

Yeh I totally agree, I'm going to remodel the engine area to have much larger jet type exhausts and i'll get some pipes and intakes running off from there to the rest of the body.

I love the look of the tank class. makes me want to ram into things with no regard of others. Hopefully the physics would be adjusted so this will be able to push smaller cars out of the way.

I really hope this happens too aha, I just wanna smash everything out of the way, I'll make a sci-fi cattle ram :P

Damrus
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Damrus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:21 am

Looking very solid there!
Obey the rules!

Grip, Art Director, IGAD student team.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 am

minimacman wrote:If your referring to top/bottom symmetry, the top and bottom do look different in terms of design, but I haven't fully designed the bottom area yet so ill post some images of that soon!

Jep thats what i was talking about :D i edited the picture midnight yesterday, wasnt that concentrated anymore :S

minimacman wrote:Yeh I totally agree, I'm going to remodel the engine area to have much larger jet type exhausts and i'll get some pipes and intakes running off from there to the rest of the body.

+1

minimacman wrote:The tyres at the moment are a set size for the cars but if Chris says we can use wider tyres I'm all for making them wider, but your right about the hit boxes and it might make them a bit harder to drive with UE4's physics engine.

Yeah we already had some tire discussions on the forum and the steam group. I hope we will see different tire sizes for the different cars, so everybody finds his preferred size. But it will take some more time with collision modelling. Though it would still be cool that some cars are just a bit bigger then others. (not much though)

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 am

im loving the design of this vehicle especially the exaust, can't wait to get my hands on it >:P
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Yeah we already had some tire discussions on the forum and the steam group. I hope we will see different tire sizes for the different cars, so everybody finds his preferred size. But it will take some more time with collision modelling. Though it would still be cool that some cars are just a bit bigger then others. (not much though)

Yeh I've had a read through the other threads to get an idea on the style everyone likes, the tyres are already a little thicker than the current car (due to its larger shape).

Looking very solid there!

Aha thank you Damrus! should look pretty nice once its done :P

im loving the design of this vehicle especially the exhaust, can't wait to get my hands on it >:P

Thanks Tjgcrush, yeh the exhaust system is probably going to get tweaked as its a bit to curvy at the moment but I'm hoping to keep a few of the aspects together!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:05 pm

Another factor concerning the tyres.
Delivering something close to the concept sketch is also a powerful "commercial" message, as in, "See this? We can make it happen" :P

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:25 am

Hello again everyone,
I'm currently working on the engine layout, we have three different designs at the moment, which one catches your eye?
These are only quick block outs and details and pipes etc will come later once a base layout is chosen.

I've also moved the front cameras back into the body shell, and moved the cockpit area up slightly so it's more inline with the rest of the car.

This design is quite close to the first idea, as it ties in with the current car quite well.

The second design is a longer, more powerful looking version of the dual exhaust system.

And the final design idea is a quad based exhaust spanning most of the back of the car.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:49 am

Amazing work!!!!! Can't wait to drive them :D
I actually love the design with the four reactors at the back of the car!!!
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51 am

I personally like the second design the best.

As you said, it gives the car a powerful looking engine/exhaust, which would be needed for an extremely heavy tank.
As for the third design, I would love if you kept the rows of the exhausts, but fused the columns, so you get these humongous square exhausts.
I think those would look powerful AND heavy, for my only problem with the second design is that it looks too sporty.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 am

Loving these designs! :D
You're just a voice pal.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 am

I like the quad the best.

What if you had a quad that was two horizontal in the middle (like design 1), then two vertical on the sides?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 am

wantfastcars wrote:What if you had a quad that was two horizontal in the middle (like design 1), then two vertical on the sides?

This. Do this. 8-)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”