Poll: Who likes powersliding?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)

What amount of drifting/powersliding do you prefer?

None. This car is made of superglue
No votes
A little. Just enough to feel the car slip (current driving model)
32%
Some. I want to see the rear end kick out a bit
67%
A lot. The car needs to swing like a baseball bat
2%

Total votes: 60

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: Who likes powersliding?

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 am

We'd like to implement some slip/drift. What would you guys like to see in that regard?
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Who likes powersliding?

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:12 am

I'd love drifting as long as it's controllable, not just "make the cars more slippery"
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:11 am

normaly im all for slippy sloppy super drift, but imo that wouldn't match the feel of the game.
so option 3, make it kick out a bit.

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:20 am

id like to see some drifting but not necessarily required so you could either slow down for a sharp turn or try to drift it (with a possibility of losing control)

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:14 am

its hard to say, cant 100%ly decide between second and thrid option. (i ve voted for the second)
I would like to see a bit sliding, but it should not be a drifting game. Normally im a huge fan of drifting, but i feel that it doesnt suit grip that much. Maybe one class of the cars has more of a "drifty" handling or there are some ice maps where you can drift, but the overall gameplay should not depend on drifting. Seeing these big tanks drift through curves would feel a bit awkward.

Edit: but the handbrake should still make you drift for the cost of most of your speed. So you can turn you car faster and make some tighter corners or slide sideways against a wall. This should be more of a last second or recovery option for missing a curve, but not the standard way of driving.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 am

I'm a total scrub and like mario kart style drifting :oops:

And by that I mean the standard press/hold a button to enter slide mode, and you tilt the steering joystick depending on the angle you want to slide. Tilt too much though you'll lose a lot of speed and may lose control.
Last edited by StickyBassline on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're just a voice pal.

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:33 am

I don't mind drifting as long as it is kind of like in RC1. I don't want a ridge racer style drifting.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:25 pm

StickyBassline wrote:I'm a total scrub and like mario kart style drifting :oops:

I absolutely hate Mario Kart drifting (no offense). It's so unnatural ! Like how you would do this in real life ?
This is probably why I will never get used to drifting in mario kart..
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:40 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
StickyBassline wrote:I'm a total scrub and like mario kart style drifting :oops:

I absolutely hate Mario Kart drifting (no offense). It's so unnatural ! Like how you would do this in real life ?

Doesn't have to make sense, just to function properly, does most things in grip make sense? :P
You're just a voice pal.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:24 am

As much as i would like some moderate rally like drifting/powersliding. In grip we use four wheel steering. Wouldnt that make drifting very very unlikly to happen?

Anyhow i would like an approach that atleast feels realistic. Because if we come to think "that vehicle shouldnt behave like that" it could kill the fun a bit. I know its an arcade game but you have to find the right balance.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:40 am

StickyBassline wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

Doesn't have to make sense, just to function properly, does most things in grip make sense? :P

Yes, but you are more able to control the thing if you understand how it works.

It might seem like a too-far example, but just imagine if Grip used a different set of physics rule. For example, Gravity would be shifting every 10s - or you could be attracted to sand particles while they are in the air. These rules would be so absurd to you, that you would have a lot of trouble driving with these. Because it's so unnatural, you would need time to adapt to these rules.

The same happens in Mario Kart with me. If I trained for hours with their drifting system, maybe in the end I could understand the mechanism behind it. But it feels so messy and unnatural to me, that I can't use it properly.

What I meant by unnatural, it's not about the lore - I don't really care about the lore in terms of gameplay.
It's really in terms of predictability. You are more likely to handle the game if you can naturally predict what will happen.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:35 am

Im all about the drifting BUUUT PLEASE! PLEEEAAASEEE!! Dont make it work with one button! PLEASEEE!! It should be skill based!!!

StickyBassline wrote:Doesn't have to make sense, just to function properly, does most things in grip make sense? :P

This game is not Mario Kart... And its not a normal arcade racer either goddamnit! Its supposed to be hard... (I`m really dissapointed with you Sticky xDDD)
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:18 pm

WROB3L wrote:This game is not Mario Kart... And its not a normal arcade racer either goddamnit! Its supposed to be hard... (I`m really dissapointed with you Sticky xDDD)

Haha but we need some kind of drifting system ^^
You're just a voice pal.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Django wrote:As much as i would like some moderate rally like drifting/powersliding. In grip we use four wheel steering. Wouldnt that make drifting very very unlikly to happen?

Check out the back wheels whilst steering at low speed and at high speed.
They don't turn on the Z-axis whilst racing at high speed ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Django wrote:As much as i would like some moderate rally like drifting/powersliding. In grip we use four wheel steering. Wouldnt that make drifting very very unlikly to happen?

Anyhow i would like an approach that atleast feels realistic. Because if we come to think "that vehicle shouldnt behave like that" it could kill the fun a bit. I know its an arcade game but you have to find the right balance.

I'd like some realistic drift, yea.

And Broscar is right, the car only has 4 wheel steering at super low speeds
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:52 pm

So long as drifting doesn't become faster than driving properly (cough mario kart cough grid 2 cough) then sure.

Plus I think some cars are going to have less grip (heh) than others anyway, right? But right now the cars do feel very easy to drive notwithstanding the random spins after jumps and stuff. Having the back end be a little looser would probably be better in the long-run :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Tiakh wrote:its hard to say, cant 100%ly decide between second and thrid option. (i ve voted for the second)
I would like to see a bit sliding, but it should not be a drifting game. [...] the overall gameplay should not depend on drifting. Seeing these big tanks drift through curves would feel a bit awkward.

Edit: but the handbrake should still make you drift for the cost of most of your speed. So you can turn you car faster and make some tighter corners or slide sideways against a wall. This should be more of a last second or recovery option for missing a curve, but not the standard way of driving.

Agreed 100%.
Feels like GRIP cars would feel less heavy if drifting could occur too easily. Nothing short of the handbrake should trigger a drift in a turn. With some vibrations/feeling of being on the edge of a loss of control/camera effect that would not follow the turn, the cars would preserve their aspect of huge behemoth.

edit: voted n°3

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:14 pm

KazzyMac wrote:So long as drifting doesn't become faster than driving properly (cough mario kart cough grid 2 cough) then sure.

What are you saying? That drifting is not a proper driving technic that can get you sometimes faster through a corner (real world and only if done properly)?
If thats what youre saying why do wrc drivers drift then so often? They dont get extra points for show.

But i agree that grip shouldnt loose its grip (sorry for that one) and not become a drift game.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Django wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:So long as drifting doesn't become faster than driving properly (cough mario kart cough grid 2 cough) then sure.

What are you saying? That drifting is not a proper driving technic that can get you sometimes faster through a corner (real world and only if done properly)?
If thats what youre saying why do wrc drivers drift then so often? They dont get extra points for show.

But i agree that grip shouldnt loose its grip (sorry for that one) and not become a drift game.

Well that's exactly my point. I just don't want the game to devolve into an arcadey 'drift to win' game. I do know that IRL drifting (well, powersliding) is actually faster than a pure 'grip' line around a corner in many situations (it just destroys your tires), but do we really want Grip to become one of those games with ludicrously easy-to-handle drift mechanics that is miles faster than specific and technical grip driving?

I mean, they're tanks. ;r

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:04 pm

KazzyMac wrote:... but do we really want Grip to become one of those games with ludicrously easy-to-handle drift mechanics that is miles faster than specific and technical grip driving?

I think the question is not if drifting should be easy (of course not). The real question is if proper drift mechanics should be implemented at all.

KazzyMac wrote:I mean, they're tanks. ;r

So? They have like 6000 hp and thats only in first gear 8-)

*Dumping pic of a tank doing a perfectly scandinavian flick*

Return to “Suggestions”