[POLL] What settings do you use?

A place where the GRIP devs poll for feedback on various topics.

Please stay on topic in each poll's corresponding thread

What Controller and Game settings do you prefer, and what sort of gamer do you fell you are?

[Digital Steering Speed] - Low
4%
[Digital Steering Speed] - Med
4%
[Digital Steering Speed] - High
3%
[Analog Steering Speed] - Low
1%
[Analog Steering Speed] - Med
5%
[Analog Steering Speed] - High
7%
[Steering Sensitivity] - Low
2%
[Steering Sensitivity] - Med
6%
[Steering Sensitivity] - High
5%
[Difficulty] - Easy
1%
[Difficulty] - Medium
4%
[Difficulty] - Hard
11%
[Catch-up] - On
6%
[Catch-up] - Off
9%
[Engine Power] - Med
2%
[Engine Power] - High
4%
[Engine Power] - Wild
9%
[Gamer] - Casual
1%
[Gamer] - Average
7%
[Gamer] - Hardcore
7%

Total votes: 327

Fate
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

[POLL] What settings do you use?

Postby Fate » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm

This poll is to enable us to get some idea of where to set the default control handling/difficulty - cross referenced by what sort of gamer you think you are.

In this poll, you have 7 options. One for each category: hopefully the categorisation is obvious - choose one option from each [Set]. If you make a mistake you have the opportunity to try again.

If you'd like to elaborate on your choices, then feel free to post below. Just try to format it with headings in this order:

Steering Speed
- Digital:
- Analog:

Steering Sensitivity:

Difficulty:

Catch-up:

Engine Power:

Gamer:

Other observations:
David Perryman
Producer/Designer
Grip

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: [POLL] What settings do you use?

Postby Similii » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital:High
- Analog:High
I didn't try other options than high on this setting
Steering Sensitivity:High
I prefer my car to be reactive :3

Difficulty:Medium
I'm too bad for high for now!

Catch-up:Off
Sometimes On but only when I want to be on the top of the leaderboard :3

Engine Power:High
I'm using wild only on Time Trial!

Gamer:Average

Other observations: Continue this work, you are awesome guys <3
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Steering Speed:
- Analog (High) - I want the car to react immediately to my inputs. The less input lag the better.

Steering Sensitivity:
- Medium - High becomes impossible to use on a gamepad at high speeds. Medium is often quite difficult when using Wild engine speed but doable with some practice (until random clip occurs and you get launched to oblivion)

Difficulty:
- Hard - because even at Hard the AI crashes, doesn't accelerate as hard as possible and pulls up in a queue when someone spins at the front. Can't imagine how slower they would be on lower difficulty levels. Naturally I understand tat AI is WIP ;)

Catch-Up:
- Off - position that I am in a race should be down to my skill alone, not artificial help that speeds me up and slows down opponents and vice versa. I prefer having to fight against AI teaming up on me, rather than having catch up of any sort.

Engine Power:
- Wild - because I like big numbers :D Size always matters ;)

Gamer:
- Hardcore - having World Records in DiRT Rally (rally simulator) while using a gamepad and generally being highly competitive player who is interested in the tracks and physics, not features that get boring after few minutes, I believe I'm what you call a "Hardcore" gamer.

Other observations:
- Give us full control over the controller... controls. You know, sensitivity, deadzone, saturation, linearity etc. Also ability to adjust sensitivity depending on the speed would be epic.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Steering Speed:
- Analog (medium)

Steering Sensitivity:
- Medium (or high)
i did just go with all medium. it wasnt too twitch as all on high, but sometimes i switch to high sensitivity.

Difficulty:
- Hard
Hard is a good difficutly, the AI knows whats it is doing and can keep up with me even without catch up

Catch-Up:
- Off
i dont like beeing slowed down or sped up by it. (havent used it since 1.03 so dunno how it changed)

Engine Power:
- Wild
ye it has some physic glitches, despite that i still like the speed. (high is also nice for "glitchless" runs)

Gamer:
- Hardcore
I dont have that much play time, but i would still say im a pretty skillful player. I like learning new game mechanics and abusing them to get the best out of it. (e.g. fire hopping in mario kart 8)

Other observations:
i dont like that the player has too much control over the cars handling. im more of the favour for more different car classes with different handlings to choose from, but thats for later.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital: LOW
- Analog: LOW

Steering Sensitivity: LOW

Difficulty: HARD

Catch-up: OFF

Engine Power: WILD

Gamer: HARDCORE

Other observations:
Im still waiting for drifting xD btw, cars shoot out when you touch the opponent, that`s weird tbh.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Steering Speed
Analog: High

Steering Sensitivity: Med/High (I switch between the two sometimes)

Difficulty: Hard

Catch-up: Off

Engine Power: Wild

Gamer: Average (I enjoy learning all that I can about a game and observing the most skillful players in hopes of learning from them, but I don't have the time to dedicate to a game - time worthy of the label "Hardcore")

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital: high
- Analog: high

Steering Sensitivity: medium (on wild, high on high engine power)

Difficulty: hard (I welcome the challenge)

Catch-up: off

Engine Power: wild (but high to practice a track to get to know it)

Gamer: average. Don't have that much time to spend in gaming anymore, but I'll definitely hold my own online ;)

Other observations: different class get those different handling stats in my ideal world with a pinch of customization as the cherry on top
Last edited by Queadah on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 am

Steering Speed
- Digital: Low (I don't use a keyboard though)
- Analog: High

Steering Sensitivity: Medium (I can't really tell the difference between Medium and High tbh)

Catch-up: Off, for now

Engine Power: Medium

Gamer: Hardcore

Other observations: The reason why unlike most people here I play on Medium is because I find it more balanced in terms of racing against the AI versus fighting the car. There's more to a racing game than just going sanic fasts-per-hour. Wild is exhilirating, yes, but PhysX is currently very wonky with it and I prefer the consistency of Medium and occasionally High. Without catchup the cars are still going 420-450km/h which is perfectly fine to me.

The AI are still very easy to beat even on Hard, I find them most challenging on the lower speeds where they're able to handle the cars better. I know they're a work-in-progress so I'm playing the game what gives me the most balanced challenge. Hopefully the devs will eventually start to look at player videos and adjust the AI to add the known 'professional' lines. ;)

I'll play with Catch-up turned on when it's balanced better. I don't really like being penalised for being in first by being slowed to a crawl. Rollcage/Stage II's catchup was beautiful in how it worked and I know eventually you guys will nail it but right now it makes the leaders too slow and the backmarkers too fast. This also carries into the above, where the AI seem more handicapped by the speed boosts and do worse in 7th-10th on High/Wild speed than they do in 1st-3rd. Again, I know they're a WIP but for now this is how it is :).

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Yeah, lots of work to do. Agree with most of what you've said Kmac, and others

As always, thanks for the feedback ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Cinkedd

Postby Cinkedd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital: MED
suits my style the most, LOW feels like the car is too lazy to steer and you cannot react fast enough to avoid obstacles etc
- Analog: HIGH
by default because I don't have a controller

Steering Sensitivity: LOW
this is simply because of keyboard, higher settings make it difficult to maintain ideal track or keep the car steady (especially with higher engine power I often end up zigzagging from one side to the other). I guess that keyboard users in general tend to use low settings

Difficulty: HARD

Catch-up: OFF
it interferes with the core gameplay mechanics too much, the whole experience is inconsistent. Depending on my position, it feels either like WILD setting or almost MED if I am in the lead. However, racing without catch-up is quite boring as there is not much action going on around me for most of the time, opponents get quickly scattered. My suggestion would be to make catch-up more weapon oriented than adjusting handling/performance.

Engine Power: HIGH/WILD
I really like how WILD feels, it is intense and challenging and I prefer this settings. Unfortunately tracks and physics are obviously not ready for this setting right now. Cars could maybe use some more gravity on WILD settings, they spend too much time in the air.

Gamer: AVERAGE, I do not spend that much time playing GRIP, but I like challenges so I appreciate if game is difficult.

Other observations:
The only thing I am missing (and what I think GRIP really needs) is some kind of drift control or a way to regain car control smoothly. 1.0.7 is much better at this but still...sudden loss of control or regaining it suddenly often destroys all my efforts to drive :)
What I am talking about: running over a mound or a small hill while turning sends my car airborne, car is not going to land perfectly, car swerves after landing...typical for Alhatra Wastes. Car collisions always seem to punish only me, not the AI (as if their cars were heavier and unaffected by crashing)

But overall I like the changes so keep up the good work!

Arsenal_Games

Postby Arsenal_Games » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital:high
- Analog:high

Steering Sensitivity:High
(Steering speed/sensitivity is too unresponsive for me if its below high just opinion :])

Difficulty:Hard

Catch-up:off

Engine Power:medium
until i get better the High/Wild setting is basically a crash simulator xD

Gamer:Average

Other observations: Game is really smooth on my PC. Keep up the Great work!!

ZzozZ

Postby ZzozZ » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:43 pm

[Difficulty] - Hard
[Catch-up] - Off
[Engine Power] - Wild
[Gamer] - Average

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Steering Speed
- Digital: LOW
- Analog: HIGH

Steering Sensitivity: MED
High is unplayable at high speeds with a gamepad and low is too slow

Difficulty:Hard
Even at hHard the AI isn't a challenge most of the time

Catch-up: off
Hate artificial help like this. Getting penalized for being better is bad.

Engine Power:Wild
Everything else is too slow :twisted:

Gamer: Hardcore

Other observations: The dreadnought seems to be a lot more prone to clipping and other random physics than the dominator

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:30 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Other observations: The dreadnought seems to be a lot more prone to clipping and other random physics than the dominator

Noted, thanks
Game Director
GRIP

Gaunt
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Gaunt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 am

Steering Speed
- Digital: High
- Analog: High

Steering Sensitivity: High

Catch-up: On

Engine Power: High

Gamer: Average

Other observations: Playing from the bumper cam exclusively.
The "look back" function seems a mite too slow, the cam has a noticeable swing to it.
It's a lot easier to stay on the side of your wheels for decent periods after a shunt or a bad cornering attempt since the last update, have seen the AI manage it a couple of times.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 pm

The current lookback will change no doubt, as most people don't like it. I like how how well it simulates actually turning your head to look back, but I'm in the minority.

Car getting stuck sliding on it's side has already been fixed internally
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Chris_CE wrote:The current lookback will change no doubt, as most people don't like it. I like how how well it simulates actually turning your head to look back, but I'm in the minority.

Agree on that, you are in minority here :P The main thing we like about look back when there's no rear view mirror (which I personally don't like, distracts me) is that it's immediate. I tend to not look back in GRIP as often purely because it takes too much time, even though it is less than a split second.

Rathori

Postby Rathori » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 am

I notice there's no options to vote whether we use "Destructible Vehicles"... and I do.

Return to “Developer Polls”