[POLL] Are the cars "floaty"?

A place where the GRIP devs poll for feedback on various topics.

Please stay on topic in each poll's corresponding thread

Do the GRIP cars feel "floaty"?

Yes - all the time. They need to feel heavier in general
19%
Yes - but they only feel floaty when you collide with something and enter the air
47%
No - they feel fine for the speeds you're driving at
7%
Maybe - I do think the feeling of weight can be improved
26%

Total votes: 57

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

[POLL] Are the cars "floaty"?

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:12 am

We've been getting some mixed feedback regarding this...

Do you think that the cars in GRIP feel floaty or simply not heavy enough. How so?

Please choose one option in the poll!

And be sure to comment below if you want to go into more detail about your decision
Game Director
GRIP

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: [POLL] Are the cars "floaty"?

Postby Similii » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 am

For me, the car seems not heavy enough when I jump in a high height, it's like if the car was filled with air so I don't know what you could change between the weight or the gravity...
Last edited by Similii on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:07 am

It feels like it takes a really long time to come back down to the ground if I get knocked vertically into the air. Perhaps most noticeable is when you screw up the jump into the U-turn on Industrial and hit the corners of the tunnel. It seems like you float in the air for ages before coming back down
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby SuperLucas335 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:20 am

The cars could be a bit heavier in general, and should have more down-force when travelling over hills at 650kph so they don't go flying off

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:58 am

I don't think the cars feel floaty, I think they feel perfect.
You're just a voice pal.

simonc95

Postby simonc95 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:08 am

IMO the cars feel "floaty" when landing a jump badly or being hit by another car, something of that weight would have more grip and resistance and less slideyness and bounce.
i7 4790k @4.7 Ghz
GTX 970
Vengence pro 16GB @ 1866 Mhz
Asus TUF Sabertooth Z97
NZXT H630

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

Yes - all the time. They need to feel heavier in general

Because to me they do not only feel floaty when they are midar but also in the transition from a turn into one direction into another.
Maybe the suspension could be a little stiffer as cars can bump up into the air again after landing.
(or even better give us the opportunity to set the car up ourselves)

Edit: Link to Video potty mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtxWKMt328&t=1m16s
Last edited by TheOnLY on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:06 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Yes - all the time. They need to feel heavier in general

Because to me they do not only feel floaty when they are midar but also in the transition from a turn into one direction into another.

I was gonna say the same exact thing. The cars feel like oversteering.
Your video illustrates it very well

Reading back some posts, i also found this from Cinkedd :
Cinkedd wrote:Steering Sensitivity: LOW
this is simply because of keyboard, higher settings make it difficult to maintain ideal track or keep the car steady (especially with higher engine power I often end up zigzagging from one side to the other). I guess that keyboard users in general tend to use low settings

I also experienced the same thing when playing on keyboard.
You have a bit the same effect with a controller, but it feels amplified when using a keyboard.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:25 pm

When you're driving straight, or wallriding (as in actually driving on the wall, not the "welding the wall" technique) the cars weight is perfect. The moment you need to drastically change the direction the whole grip and weight goes out of the window. Naturally collisions count as a drastic change to the direction, so...

JeffreyZ
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby JeffreyZ » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Just my two cents.

Well I have played this game a lot and I feel that it's missing some of the suspension feeling that cars need to have. Bigger cars such as monster trucks have enormous suspension systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GaeXnLky8#t=4m04s( A short clip that shows the suspension system of the monster trucks)

if one wheel hits a rock the entire car is effected by it instead of the suspension counter acting that little rock by giving that wheel additional space to move up or down making sure the car stays in contact with the road letting the driver keep control.

I feel this would both help with additional traction in corners Would add some leaning to the car but keeping the wheels on the floor allowing for tighter turns.
Grip, Lead level designer, IGAD student team.

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeh the only times that ive felt the steering go floaty have been after collisions, I REALLY liked the 180* flip button on the earlier versions, if you span out you could just hit the button and face the right way, but now you have to do three point turns depending on where you are! :) but as for driving in general the current car is spot on IMO anyway :D
Racing is love, Racing is life :P
vvv Click the image to see my portfolio vvv

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:31 pm

The cars do feel a little floaty, particularly in three specific ways (pardon the technical mumbo I might spew but the devs will probably recognise the third one)

1) Hitting movable objects, they affect the car too much. Chris knows about this - those barrels ;) But the pillars in the tunnels are a big culprit too. They affect the car's angular travel too much (I don't mind them shunting me left/right or slowing me down but the buggers always spin me around or flip me over) and that does make them seem like the small physics objects have more weight to them than they should.

I know that's a WIP though.

2) The car bounces on practically every landing on a jump, and it feels like it comes off of the ground too easily as well. I don't particularly feel that the environment's gravity is too low (the cars are a bit bigger than Rollcage's, IMO, so it physically feels about right - maybe could be a little heavier, but that's nitpicking), but the car doesn't really 'stick' to bumpy terrain like it did in the classics. Whether this is a limitation with how the physics handle suspension travel/body collision or whatever, I don't know - that's dev stuff - but the bouncing is annoying and it also does ruin the flow a little. It feels like the wheels need some downforce as well to try and help the car stay on bumpy ground?

The potentially-technical one.

3) People have cottoned on to the car inexplicably taking 'ages' to fall off a ceiling. I've noticed it too, the car's downforce is acting on nearby surfaces even when it's nowhere near and in tunnels I've actually had the car 'float' for a few seconds before the game decided it was going to let the car fall to the road. I don't know how that could be changed, or if it should, but it's a strange thing I've noticed that can throw people into thinking the car has lunar gravity when it doesn't ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 pm

its hard to say really.
sometimes i feel like im in full control, and a few seconds later the car feels a litte "floaty".
i think one of the problem is the visual feedback the cars provide.
when going through a corner it sometimes feels like the whole car is fixed to a vertical axis in the center and its just the cars model turning.
i remember having the same issue with mario kart 64 back in the days. the animation of the sprite drivers didnt always translate to what you did with your analogue stick and this threw me off a lot.

some minor things that could add to the visual feel of turning:
- increased tire angle. when turing at high speed the front wheels look like very stiff.
- weight shifting on the cars body. much like in RC2 and other action racers, making the body of the car shift its weight to the side adds a lot of feel
- sound design. screeching tires and stuff
- obviously force feedback

as of now i really cant nail it down whats "wrong" with the physics as overall they feel stable and its rare that they feel off. maybe some more playtime will reveal it. *decaprioneedtogodeeper.jpeg*

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Voted "No".
I mean, giant tanks driving at 700kph hit obstacles and fly away, what did anyone expect?
Anything other than GRIP/Rollcage car would effing explode upon contact of anything with the kinetic energy alone.

Plus we got sensitivity and control speed in setup...

Mart-E

Postby Mart-E » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:59 am

Just feel the car floaty when it collide... As queedah said, your car goes at 700kph, so it's normal.
But i still thinks that you are in another planet, you could put differents gravity parametrers in each planet.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:17 am

OK guys. Thanks so much for the feedback, it's been very valuable. We're processing it on our end ;)

But feel free to continue the discussion though

@Yrch: The car used to shift it's weight quite a bit... strange that it doesn't anymore. Will look into it
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am

Queadah wrote:Voted "No".
I mean, giant tanks driving at 700kph hit obstacles and fly away, what did anyone expect?
Anything other than GRIP/Rollcage car would effing explode upon contact of anything with the kinetic energy alone.

If we go into that department, you have to include the fact that the cars are made out of materials that can withstand a lot more than even nowadays most durable tanks or what not. The power required to move those things is insane on its own, so naturally they should be a lot more durable and able to withstand a lot more along with simply being heavier than your typical tank.
That said, I'm not expecting to bust through a wall, but simply hitting a rock that is smaller than the car and not being spun/launched into the atmosphere.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:02 am

I dont mind so much if those highspeed tanks fly a litlle bit after a crash. But a crash between an 200 ton objekt at 700kmph and a wall should be epic. At the moment if we are not lifted up than we just stop. Now that feels weird.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:06 pm

I just read a copy of the french magazine "Canard PC". They have done a great review of Grip (cannot link to it, since it's paper).

Still, they describe the current physics to be "moon-like" : cars fly way too high, it feels like the gravity is reduced.
They also say in a funny tone "Waiting for new physics, we will have to continue raging on these f*cking soaps they want us to believe to be cars"
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:48 am

I've gotten an activation code from psppwner300 (thanks a bunch) and have now gotten some experience driving.

I think I've narrowed down some of the reason why the vehicle feel floaty. The moment you hit something, anything, your input seems to stop mattering much. You can steer left, right, let go of the acceleration or do nothing, it doesn't make a huge difference on the end result. Since this happens even at the lightest touch with another vehicle or piece of the environment it feels like you are constantly out of control. In other racing games you can use the steering to prevent yourself going off the track, or even pre-emptively steer to prevent an enemy from pushing your rear to make your vehicle twist on the track.
In fact, when I tried to ram someone from behind myself in a controlled way, I found that the moment I touched my opponent I couldn't steer myself back on track and was stuck spinning slightly to the direction I was steering in when I hit them. The duration changes with the percieved severity, a nasty ram will cause you to loose control longer than a soft touch with another vehicle, but the amount of control instantly seems reduced.

One of the reasons this seems to be is, I think, that the physics are the same in any direction during a bump or ram, regardless of the facing of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if I'm facing forwards, backwards or sideways, I'll move just as fast in the direction I'm bumped into. You would expect that sliding sideways slows you down much faster than having your wheels in line with the direction you have been launched into, and that your control of the steering wheel still matters. However that doesn't seem to be the case.

I hope that was constructive enough and that it will help with improving people's feeling of control over the vehicle.

Return to “Developer Polls”