[POLL] What camera view do you use? What would you like to change?

A place where the GRIP devs poll for feedback on various topics.

Please stay on topic in each poll's corresponding thread

What camera view do you use?

Bumper baby. All the way
7%
Right on the "hood". How I play like this... I don't even know
7%
Super close chase cam. Back dat ass up
No votes
Close chase cam. I like big butts
5%
Medium chase cam (the one used in the trailers)
40%
Far and raised chase cam ala Rollcage
42%

Total votes: 43

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

[POLL] What camera view do you use? What would you like to change?

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:11 pm

Like the title says, please vote on what camera view you use the most when playing!

Also, if you've got feedback about the cameras, including suggestions, please post them here.
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [POLL] What camera view do you use? What would you like to change?

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 pm

I usually use the Far Chase Cam, but I also really like the "Bumper" and "Spoiler" cams.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Costa

Postby Costa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am

i tend to use medium / far camera in general, because i like to see whats going on ahead and behind me while racing. one of the most important things is the vehicle itself should not block the front view when using medium / far camera (and trust me, i saw several racing games that have this issue. :x )

:idea: As suggestion: maybe implement camera view settings in game options, including all of them mentioned in the poll (if it's not too complicated to do that). So every player can pick and save preferences in game setting his favourite camera view.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:27 am

Furthest one. Right now I find it to work pretty darn great. It stick to the center of the car in horizontal movement and only shows the side of the car when you're in an actual slide, which is good. Though lack of any actual drifting action makes it hard to tell if there's anything to improve in that aspect. I'll be sure to point that out though if it will become an issue. #ChaseCamWarrior

As to vertical movement it's hard to tell right now, since when it comes to vertical we usually just jump xD But to make it easier seeing when driving uphill/downhill I suggest taking a look at how chase camera works in that regard in DiRT Rally. In that single thing, Codemasters have outdone themselves. Rest about the chase camera is a bit wonky though.

Also, when we're driving upside down, could there be an option in the HUD settings to "swap" the positions of the pick-ups? It may not be an issue for some people, but I often get the confused which pick-up is which at that point. By swap I mean the left pick-up swaps positions on the HUD with the right one only when we're driving upside down. May seem slightly off-topic, but this is an issue for me only when I drive with chase camera. When I tried with bumper, no such problem. Therefore an option in the settings for those that want it would be most preferable.

Giving an ability for everyone to the camera to their needs, something like in Rocket League, would probably be best IMO. No one could even moan about camera at that point :D

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:40 am

I like the degree of liberty we have currently in the choice of cam setting.

The one I use most is the far and raised one (to admire the cars), but I do change at times to modify my perception of speed.

I disagree with above in that we do have a slight drift already implemented and I think the camera captures it nicely.

Only remark would be the transition effect when flipping (just stick the cam to the roll movement ?) , but I got used to and like the camera effects already, so it's a "no recommandation" here as far as I can tell.

Will come back if anything pops to mind.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:10 am

So i see that only i`m using the hood camera xD still im gonna use cockpit camera when it will be implemented.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:12 am

Bumper cam gives you the BEST sensation of speed!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am

mrjimp wrote:Bumper cam gives you the BEST sensation of speed!

^ this

The only thing missing from the bumper cam is a HUD element telling you if your shield is active or not
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:18 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:The only thing missing from the bumper cam is a HUD element telling you if your shield is active or not

+1 You're onto something Potty !
Shield icon left of where the "incoming missile" icon is ? (Only appearing in bumper/hood cam)

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
mrjimp wrote:Bumper cam gives you the BEST sensation of speed!

^ this

The only thing missing from the bumper cam is a HUD element telling you if your shield is active or not

Right on.

I used to use the look back button because up until some patches ago you actually saw your shield if it was up. Now you don't do that anymore.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:14 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:The only thing missing from the bumper cam is a HUD element telling you if your shield is active or not

Noted, but potty can you remind me about this at some point
Game Director
GRIP

Rathori

Postby Rathori » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 am

I use both chase cam (I think medium) and hood cam. You can't beat hood/bumper cam if you're going for maximum speed or driving on a tricky track, it gives you a much better idea of what's going on with where the car is going than a chase cam does. It'd be awesome if there was a cockpit camera, too.

+1 to shield indicator for bumper cam. Meanwhile you could use hood cam, because it still allows to see the shield when you look back while using it.

Return to “Developer Polls”