What exactly does the steering speed settings do?

Discuss anything regarding Grip that doesn't belong in the other forum categories
Tathendal

What exactly does the steering speed settings do?

Postby Tathendal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:41 am

I tried searching this forum and on steam, but I didn't find a proper anser.

So what does these options mean exactly? Digital and analog steering speed and steering sensitivity. I cannot tell what is the difference between these.

Doesn't it make sense to have steering sensitivity settings on the highest, since it allows you to turn faster when mastered (even if it is more prone to oversteering etc, but still), or is in this question too something that I don't understand? Oh, wise people, please enlighten me! Thanks!

Ryu Makkuro

Re: What exactly does the steering speed settings do?

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Here's an explanation:
Chris_CE wrote:-Steering sensitivity can now be set in the control options (separate settings for keyboard and gamepad)
-Steering speed (response) can now be set in the control options

This feature came with patch v.1.0.7. Here's the full changelog: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=878#p7869

In short, sensitivity is your dampening, aka how quickly the game will reach your actual input. Very important for those that use digital input, to create a way to have little inputs, rather than being stuck to 0 or 100%.
Steering speed is literally the input lag, or rather how quickly the car starts turning.

TL;DR;
Steering Sensitivity - how quickly the car turns
Steering Speed - how quickly the car starts turning
Last edited by Ryu Makkuro on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:Steering Sensitivity - how quickly the car turns

Yep, this pretty much says it
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks, now I get it!

Isn't it better then (in theory) to keep those settings to the max, that way you can turn quicker and therefore you can drive faster to a curve? Just thinking aloud trying to get a... GRIP on the matter (no pun intended)

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Steering speed should always be maxed out. Obviously. Sensitivity though... not really.

If you're using a steering wheel, then naturally you want 100% of sensitivity as you can have full control over your input. But in a case of a keyboard, where you can either go 0 or 1, that at 100% sensitivity will result in effectively not turning of fully turning, means a highly twitchy gameplay with a loss of precision when it comes to steering. Therefore you need less sensitivity, so it takes a bit to reach that 100% input.

For gamepads, if someone is really good with their finger work, 100% will be doable, however usually 80-90% will be better, as it provides just that slightly more smooth input, which can greatly help in controlling the car at high speed when very small inputs are required.

Carnage
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Carnage » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Chris_CE wrote:

And what does the analog/digital distinction mean? I would assume gamepad and KB respectively, but I'm not sure.

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Carnage wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:

And what does the analog/digital distinction mean? I would assume gamepad and KB respectively, but I'm not sure.

Yes you are correct. Digital means keyboard or a gamepad with a simple d-pad (i.e. on/off turning, not analog). If you are playing with analog controller (e.g. xbox 360 controller) you don't need to mind the digital steering speed at all.

Return to “Grip General Discussion”