weapon idea 'VISOR'

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

weapon idea 'VISOR'

Postby agcue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:10 am

So my idea is 'thermal vision' ...maybe call it 'visor' or something like that (possibly something less lame haha but anyway).

The idea is that you collect the weapon and initiate it, when active, the user will see speed boost pads that other racers aren't aware of.

Speed boost pads would appear on somewhat randomized racing lines so it would take skill to get the most out of the weapon; they would appear close enough together to ad challenge but far enough apart that you can get the most out of each boost - maybe only a total of 5 boost pads max.

I'm thinking that this can be used as a catch up assist for racers trailing far behind; it wouldn't equip if you were near the lead of the pack.

I think this idea would be really cool because it could be easy to implement and could help with balance and bring slower drivers back into the mix. But it wouldn't be an instant win because you would still need the skill to position yourself over the boost pads and hit the next one.

Maybe, after hitting the pad, it could become visible to other racers behind you for a short period so they will also have a chance to 'ride the wave'. This could ad strategy as another racer might try to follow your line, so hit him with a mine if you have one :geek:
Last edited by agcue on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

atv_123

Re: weapon idea 'VISOR'

Postby atv_123 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

So can these pads only be activated by the one using the VISOR weapon or are they always active and just invisible for the most part?

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:28 am

atv_123 wrote:So can these pads only be activated by the one using the VISOR weapon or are they always active and just invisible for the most part?

I'm thinking active to other drivers for a brief window of time after you hit the boost (before fading out again and becoming inactive to others)

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm

To me, something like this almost seems like you can see the perfect, worn in, racing line around the track rather than hidden boosters. It has the hardest ground, smoothest corners, no obstacles, so on and so forth, so your ability to carry speed is expounded upon by being able to stay in this narrow track. It's not as intense as a boost, but it would still help you catch up.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:19 am

atv_123 wrote:To me, something like this almost seems like you can see the perfect, worn in, racing line around the track rather than hidden boosters. It has the hardest ground, smoothest corners, no obstacles, so on and so forth, so your ability to carry speed is expounded upon by being able to stay in this narrow track. It's not as intense as a boost, but it would still help you catch up.

Yeah, I was thinking that, but I didn't want it to appear on a set path and be predictable or simplify it too much, like Bullet Bill in MarioKart.

I was also thinking it could be a bit like a wormhole that snakes across the track infront of you. Looking something like the wormholes in Donnie Darko. When your vehicle enters, it could seem to disappear (go out of phase). You move at a greater speed when in the wormhole and are invisible and invulnerable. Other vehicles can enter the wormhole too, if quick enough.

If you don't stick to the line that the wormhole follows you slip out and cant re enter.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I think this will make the issue of leaders keeping the lead and pulling away even worse. Seems a bit OP in the right hands

I do like your last comments about other players taking advantage of the pickup though. I'm just not sure this would work
Game Director
GRIP

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:56 pm

@Chris: Item drop chance based on position.

I really like agcue's idea. It's original and although it'd need some work to implement, how many other games have this?
Have your car warp into a different dimension, throw in some crazy ass shaders. Hell yeah.
As for actual effect though... Spawning other speedpads would just make it work like an inferior boost.

I suggest it gives the invincibility trait for a short while, tying in to the complaint theonly had about the shield being the only defensive weapon.
The cars behind you can take advantage of this by entering that wormhole you leave behind too; but with a twist.
If the cars behind you enter the wormhole, they shift to the same dimension you're in, meaning they can actually shoot you.

This might not work all that nicely in gameplay or be too difficult to communicate to the fanbase, but it's definitely an idea worth discussing or perhaps even experimenting with.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 am

can we call it a 'gripgate' haha any stargate fans out there? :ugeek:

would it break the game if every time you exit a window, you open a window for someone behind you??

i.e. two vehicles enter one wormhole (the user and one follower), but then they exit at slightly different places and times leaving two potential entry points for any vehicles still following...

yep... might break something... might need some testing :geek:

Broscar edit: Merged doublepost.

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 pm

agcue wrote:can we call it a 'gripgate' haha any stargate fans out there? :ugeek:

Haha XD Gripgate! I like it! Although, the one from Stargate might be a bit overkill in this situation.... we are just looking to jump a couple of positions around the track, not to the other side of the galaxy! :lol: Would need to be toned down a smig...

Now that I am thinking about it though... that would make for a killer track element... just hopping from world to world on one track through wormholes... that would be different :shock:

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 am

I like this idea – a simple implementation could be that when activated the vehicle goes ‘out of phase’ and can no longer be impacted by mines and is no longer targetable.

The player would initiate the weapon and there vehicle accelerate into, forgive me for this but, another dimension. To opponents the players vehicle come disappear into some sort of void (I see this as something between a ship in startrek accelerating into light speed and the portals in the level select area of crash bandicoot 3).

The effect for the player could just be a different colour filter and of course, relative invulnerability and allow them to catch up. The game would have another bone to throw at a lagging player other than leader missile or EMP.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm not big on the hidden speedpads thing. We've already got normal speedpads, boost, turbo and speed gain from Ramraider. Adding another to do with speed seems unnecessary

That said, invulnerability and some kind of "easy vision" might be cool
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”