New Ability, Updated Tracks, Bug Fixes - GRIP v.1.2.3

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

New Ability, Updated Tracks, Bug Fixes - GRIP v.1.2.3

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:47 pm

-
Be sure to join our Discord channel to talk about GRIP and coordinate multiplayer matches with other players!

-------------------------------------------------------
List of changes/additions in this patch (v.1.2.3):
-------------------------------------------------------
  • NEW vehicle ability: BOOST! Depending on your position in the race, a boost bar will charge around the speedometer. You can use this boost at any time, in bursts or in full. This will hopefully help players recover and catch up from unlucky accidents and keep the pack together, as battling nearby opponents around is the best part of GRIP
  • Control inputs have been fixed and reset, as players were having issues. Default inputs have also changed for the better, but you are still free to customize them in the settings menu.
  • Improved difficulty progression for newer players.
  • Abandoned Atoll: Fixed collision/flow issues, added assets, improved overall visuals
  • Alhatra Wastes Reverse: Overhauled visuals, added more assets, fixed collision issues
  • Speedbowl: Added Nighttime version
  • Acrophobia: Added two alternate paths, added speedpads, improvements to flow
  • Some issues with AI pathing have been fixed on various levels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of some known issues with the current version of the game (v.1.2.3):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multiplayer:
  • Sometimes the game can crash or say network error in multiplayer, but hopefully this is rare. We are looking into this issue.
  • We're still working on the sync between players, so you may see some lag and cars jittering
  • Sometimes the scoreboard can display the wrong positions for players. This is most frequent when destructible vehicles is enabled
  • On rare occasions, the game can put you in a single player race instead of taking you from the lobby to the multiplayer event. Again, we're looking into this
  • The scoreboard is not toggle-able if you retire/DNF
  • You cannot switch between cars while spectating, but will be able to in a future patch
    Much more functionality coming for multiplayer, including a game browser! Should be much easier to create games and get them populated

Other:
  • Vehicle physics can still be buggy at times, causing your car to bounce unexpectedly, catch on geometry or spend too much time in the air. We've been aware of these types of issue for a while and have constantly been improving physics as we go. The current version of the game is the most stable it's ever been and will only get better
  • The menus only support mouse navigation right now. Gamepad support will be coming as soon as possible. Keep in mind that we only have one coder on this project!
  • 21:9 resolutions are supported, but the menu is cut off at the top and bottom. This will be fixed in due time.
  • Resetting on more complex tracks like Skytrack and Acrophobia can result in you getting stuck in a reset loop. Just reset a couple times and you'll be put back on the track. This is a temporary solution until reset code is improved
  • There can be a rare bug where a player suddenly becomes 1st place when they're not. Looking into it...
  • Some users are reporting that pausing the game after finishing an event gets rid of mouse navigation
  • EMP is going to be improved and much less frustrating, so don't worry, it will be less annoying ;)
  • The Carkour map "Jobsite" has been removed until we determine why it won't load
  • Foliage has been removed from Yuri Industrial because of an issue where using foliage corrupts the map file. Hopefully we'll be able to use the foliage tool again later in time
  • HUD indicators for lap times, weapon hits, and abilities will be improved over time

----------------------------------------
Things coming in future updates!
----------------------------------------
  • A new weapon: Hydra
  • A new car: Cygon Eversor
  • Improved, less frustrating EMP
  • A new track on Jahtra
  • A new city track on Orbital Prime
  • A new arena on Jahtra
  • Garage unlocks (new tires, rims, etc)
  • Player stats tracking
  • Player level progression
  • Multiplayer game browser - making it easier to create games and populate them

If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum:
forum.cagedelement.com

Or you can visit the Steam Page

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!
Game Director
GRIP

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: New Ability, Updated Tracks, Bug Fixes - GRIP v.1.2.3

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Looks awesome ! Can't wait to try this new "boost" ability ^^
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Kewl. I like the new ability in spirit: an active catch up assist. Though,

One scenario:
  • player in last
  • crawls back to 1st with full nitro gauge
  • ends in 1st with it:
    • UI feedback confusion ("how is the feature telling me it's gradually more helping when in last?")
    • race packing potentially less effective
Why?
  • nitro main use = in medium to short burst (as it requires straights/no obst)
  • = leaders don't care about lower recharge rate (to a degree) since nitro is used in bursts, effectively keeping their available nitro full
  • = nitro purpose self-defeated

Note: effectiveness of nitro depending on place seems mitigated for the same reason.
  • Shouldn't nitro quality remain consistent since there's no feedback telling the player how and when his nitro is getting "adjusted"?
  • However nitro quantity can be altered, as a cap on nitro based on place can be presented to the player (UI feedback)
New scenario
  • player in last
  • crawls back to 1st
  • nitro gauge gets smaller (cut) with every place gained (and vice versa - more nitro when in last)
  • = catch up purpose achieved WITHOUT any tweaks in varying rates and effectiveness (impossible to materialize to the player) = less balancing nightmare
Alternatively, the gauge could be scaled (instead of cut - quantity not affected) to let players know their nitro is affected based on place.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:13 pm

UI feedback confusion ("how is the feature telling me it's gradually more helping when in last?")

It's telling you by speeding you up more; UI != GUI. Even so, does it need to be communicated?
Does Burnout/Need for Speed show a rubber band icon when you're 6th? And even if it would, would it any way impact the gameplay or a player's decision making in the race?

race packing potentially less effective

Less effective how? You mean 'cause they're in 1st place now with full boost?
If I reach 1st while still having boost, it won't matter, 'cause it's far less effective in 1st place anyway.

leaders don't care about lower recharge rate (to a degree) since nitro is used in bursts, effectively keeping their available nitro full

How people use the boost in 1st place is entirely up to the users. I constantly run out because I use it to get back up to speed after taking a corner.
And even if they just save it all up until the boost is full, so what? It's not like that suddenly deletes the system that's in place that makes it so that boost is less strong for players further in front of the pack.

nitro purpose self-defeated

How is it self-defeated?

And me loosely quoting myself from Skype:
I think it's a very elegant solution to a rather significant problem. In Rollcage, catchup would just (very) dramatically speed up last place racers in all situations (not just straights), this definitely made things more difficult for newbies.
This solution lessens the need for that, plus it gives veterans the increased acceleration they wanted without making them overpowered.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Outworld is back!!! and I freaking love it!!!! :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 am

;)
Game Director
GRIP

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 am

The jump mechanic is really cool - but does it need to appear on the hud?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 am

Maybe not, but I don't notice it myself (in a negative way)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Announcements”