Music made by a single artist ?

Tune talk - what do you think of GRIP's music lineup?
Audio discussion - anything to do with the sound of the game
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Music made by a single artist ?

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm

We are all looking for musics that could suit GRIP. But whichever music will be chosen, it just won't please everyone, because people have different tastes, and also people might want to have this or that music in the game.

I know there will be an option to turn on/off particular songs - but if people customizes it too much, playing GRIP with music might turn into playing GRIP with an external media player running in the background. Which would kind of defeat the point of having an ost. Plus, GRIP's music wouldn't have any kind of identity, since it would feature completely different styles.

And indeed, some musics proposed in the poll are just not my style at all. And I think it's the same for maybe 90% of the people here - but that's because we have different tastes. I do not think that the musics I don't like are sh*tty.

Still, if I give you this song, even without looking at youtube's title, you know where it comes from, and it reminds you immediately of Metal Gear Solid. Then you get the immediate nostalgic effect on you, you want to play that game again.

I would like to have the same effect on GRIP ; I would like the ost to be part of GRIP's identity, and not be a mix of songs, even awesome ones.

Then I'm looking at WipEout's ost, and I realize that it is nearly perfect. The musics are all in the same theme, which fit perfectly WipEout. And if you listen to anyone of them, if you have played the game before, you will think "Damn, that song.. WipEout had such an amazing soundtrack".

So that's why I think that asking a single artist to make the ost for GRIP would be a way to achieve that.

Still, both Rollcage and Rollcage Stage 2 did not go that way, and yet we know by heart the songs. If I hear that, I think Rollcage Stage 2 without even thinking of the artist. So maybe the ost can be part of GRIP's identity, even if it's not made by a single artist.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Music made by a single artist ?

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Good point. We should wait on the sound track a bit and get a feel for the game first. Although we should look at WipEout HD/Fury. This is the HD menu music which has a futuristic feel to it and it just feels like it screams futuristic racing. Then when the Fury expansion came out we got this. I don't know about you but the fury menu music just sound aggressive and ruthless. It also matches the look the the new machines added. HD had this machine then with the DLC it turned into this. The machine suddenly had more sharp edges and it looks clean and and aggressive matching the menu music. So I guess it depends on what kind of vibe Grip gives off. From what people voted on, it looks like its going to be drum and bass, techno, and possibly trance. I could see grip having an aggressive sounding DnB soundtrack something similar to this track.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:38 am

I'd prefer to have a soundtrack featuring multiple artists.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 pm

I inisist, if the game were to have an OST composed by one person, I'd say Dom & Roland or Technical Itch would do. They're really talented, and they've done songs for you guys before, so it's a smart move to me!
sus

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Also, whenever i hear any of nidhoggs songs i instantly think of that game aswell. That was all done by one guy too.
[Castle]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQHqgaupbJw

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 am

By the way, some update on my thoughts : I think that if several artists make songs for GRIP, it could have the same effect. Just as long as artists make songs for GRIP, and GRIP does not take already existing songs.

Plus, with the different environments that GRIP will provide, maybe it would be more suited ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:27 am

I think the point isnt much about who the made the songs but more about how well they suit the game and the tracks. Furthermore, it is important that they are not well known songs (this equals new made songs). Everyone knows the pendulum songs, they are great, but you wont associate them with a game. The thing is you need to hear a song thats new for youself while playing the game, so that you will always associate the song with the game.
Ofc, having special-made songs for the game is the best solution. However it is also the priciest... So unknown songs are a cheaper option, but hard to find.
Having only one artist making the songs will most likely insure that the songs of the whole soundtrack feel well-paired (/well matched), but i dont think its necessary. You could also over come this with a good selection.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:32 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:Just as long as artists make songs for GRIP, and GRIP does not take already existing songs.

This is how it's happening. I've already got about 6 artists signed on to make songs specifically for GRIP

I'm taking the music very seriously and putting a lot of time into finding the right people. Hopefully we can bag some pretty big artists, too.

And all of your suggestions are helping, so thanks!
Game Director
GRIP

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:48 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:Plus, with the different environments that GRIP will provide, maybe it would be more suited ?

Yes, this is a very good idea, aint that what Stage 2 did?

Westindie

Postby Westindie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:35 pm

What I'd really, REALLY like to see is a memorable main theme tune that plays in the main menu, it should summarise the overall feel of the game and give the game its identity in addition to all the tracks that play during races.

When you get to the final race or stage of the game, have that main theme tune should play unexpectedly. That's always a guaranteed 'Oh s**t!' moment, ups the ante X10000 and really makes the player feel like they're achieving something.

Heres the trope, it really works: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... emeReprise

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Westindie wrote:What I'd really, REALLY like to see is a memorable main theme tune that plays in the main menu, it should summarise the overall feel of the game and give the game its identity in addition to all the tracks that play during races.

Kevin Greenlee (a musician on our roster) is really good at great menu music that has a cinematic but not distracting feel.
I'm sure he could cook up something great
Game Director
GRIP

mariamedina

Postby mariamedina » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 am

I agree with Tiakh, the point isnt much about who the made the songs But about the track which suite on the background.

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby SuperLucas335 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:22 am

How about assign a music artist for each planet? Or maybe many artists make songs to fit the planets (I'm guessing you're going to add more planets, right?)
Just my random thought :P

EDIT Just realised this post is over 2 years old... lol. But this is a topic we should expand upon, now that we have more artists.

PerroNDoN

Postby PerroNDoN » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 pm

idk if this is closed, but i want send my work with a gameplay of Grip!

I post it in my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ViewerMus/vide ... 785543344/

i hope you guys like my work!
My pc specs:
Motherboard: Asus A78M-A
CPU: AMD A8 7600 3.3ghz
Gpu: Gigabyte R7 260x 1 gb gddr5
Ram: Kingston Hyperx 2x4 gb 1600 mhz ddr3

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/edwart-zerme-o

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm

PerroNDoN wrote:idk if this is closed, but i want send my work with a gameplay of Grip!

I post it in my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ViewerMus/vide ... 785543344/

Really good :) Nice job!

PerroNDoN

Postby PerroNDoN » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:02 pm

FrostyPL wrote:
PerroNDoN wrote:idk if this is closed, but i want send my work with a gameplay of Grip!

Really good :) Nice job!

Im looking forward to release this in Liquid Drops!
but i wanted to be part of the soundtrack of Grip hahaha
My pc specs:
Motherboard: Asus A78M-A
CPU: AMD A8 7600 3.3ghz
Gpu: Gigabyte R7 260x 1 gb gddr5
Ram: Kingston Hyperx 2x4 gb 1600 mhz ddr3

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/edwart-zerme-o

Jeunepuissance

Postby Jeunepuissance » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 am

I would advice to take any track from Billain.

Billain - Boo / total darkness / obfuscate.

He isn't that famous and works very well, he deserves the money and the fame he would get from apearing in this in game in my opinion!

AND he was already involved into other games, he worked on the sound design of scorn and most probably on its music too. :P

Return to “Music & Sound”